2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 47 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
The IMSLP version I'm looking at suggests the switch on the higher of the two bass Es from thumb to 5th finger.

I have that edition. It lets you get the C by swinging your hand using the thumb as a pivot and striking the C with 2. The problem is that if you pedal on G#, you lose the octave. For that part I found that I can get at the C with my right hand. You're arpeggiating here. So I can play the two E's with my LH and hold them, grab C with my RH and play the A - G# with middle fingers. Later on I saw someone do exactly that.

The problem comes with the B. I cannot reach that B with either hand, and letting go of the octave weakens the effect. I heard one performance by Richter, and the E octave droning on and on into infinity has a huge effect.

So I've been playing with the things I've mentioned. Did Grieg have humungous hands?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by keystring
The IMSLP version I'm looking at suggests the switch on the higher of the two bass Es from thumb to 5th finger.

I have that edition. It lets you get the C by swinging your hand using the thumb as a pivot and striking the C with 2. The problem is that if you pedal on G#, you lose the octave. For that part I found that I can get at the C with my right hand. You're arpeggiating here. So I can play the two E's with my LH and hold them, grab C with my RH and play the A - G# with middle fingers. Later on I saw someone do exactly that.

The problem comes with the B. I cannot reach that B with either hand, and letting go of the octave weakens the effect. I heard one performance by Richter, and the E octave droning on and on into infinity has a huge effect.

What I'm playing with right now is to strike the first chord relatively loud so that the octave E's will ring rather strongly, then do a rapid diminuendo, and let go of the top E only at the moment that G,B are played. It seems that the top E is still produced by the overtones, and since everything is "piano" or even "pianissimo" at the end, it might balance out. If it doesn't, then something else will be tried.

Did Grieg have really really big hands with the flexibility of a contortionist?

I misunderstood what you meant about the top E - thought you weren't playing it.

I wonder if Richter used the sostenuto pedal which would work well here? Don't have one on my piano of course ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I wonder if Richter used the sostenuto pedal which would work well here? Don't have one on my piano of course ...

I looked it up and found this:
Sustenuto

I have a digital piano. It does have a middle pedal but I suspect that it doesn't really function like the real thing. (Hm?)

Edit: It works. smile You play a note and press the sustain after playing it and that note holds, while anything you play after that behaves like normal un-held notes. Thanks, Andy.

Last edited by keystring; 05/02/13 11:54 AM.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

I looked it up and found this:
Sustenuto

I have a digital piano. It does have a middle pedal but I suspect that it doesn't really function like the real thing. (Hm?)

It probably is. An upright's third pedal if it has one is 99% likely to be a "practice" pedal (a couple of upright models have sostenuto) but since a practice pedal on a digital is about as useful as a hole in the head, it just has to be a sostenuto pedal. Easy to try. Hold a key down, press the pedal, let go of the key. It should still sound. Now play a staccato note - it should immediately die.

By the way, playing with the pedal for this arpeggio would take a lot of practice to get right. But I'm sure Richter would have been able to manage somehow. Of course, he might have been using his nose for some notes ... that man had genius flowing out of him!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Cross-posted. I added an edit. It does indeed work like one. Thanks again. Btw, the nose technique sounds promising. laugh

M
M
Cross-posted. I added an edit. It does indeed work like one. Thanks again. Btw, the nose technique sounds promising. laugh

I happen to have a particularly pointy elbow...this post gives me ideas. laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
[cross-posted]

The miracle of a digital piano is that you can have three pedals including a real sostenuto pedal, yet the piano takes no more space than an upright. I agree with Andy that I would expect your middle pedal to work as a real sostenuto pedal: sustaining the notes that are already depressed at the time you depress the middle pedal.

My upright has a fake sostenuto pedal for its middle pedal: it lifts the dampers on just the notes lower than Eb3 (the Eb in the middle of the bass clef). This often suffices for what I need with a real sostenuto pedal: to sustain some bass notes while higher notes are moving. But not always. mad For example, if I play any further notes below Eb3, they will also be sustained, since the pedal is just lifting the dampers, not executing any complicated mechanism to catch just the original notes. And of course I can't get a sostenuto effect on notes above D3.

My upright's behaviour is, I believe, typical for uprights with a middle pedal that is not a practice pedal. There are a few high-end uprights that have a true sostenuto pedal. I long for one of these. Except then of course I would start to long for a true una corda pedal. Clearly the only solution is to get a bigger house that can fit a grand. help

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 05/02/13 12:01 PM. Reason: cross-post

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Originally Posted by Dipsy
IreneAdler - are you saying you want to have 47:3 (melody)?

After listening to about half a dozen pieces that is the one that I felt I could learn given the time constraints, according to the Henle editions this piece is about a level 4, which is probably around my current level. Given the fact that currently working on Chopin's Waltz in A minor post, I thought this piece would be just be enough of a challenge. Hopefully, it won't be to much for me to play reasonably well, but I am not at all familar with this piece and was looking for some advice on whether this would be a good choice or not.

I `ve started on mine. The very first notes involve a LH 10 note stretch . . . Who`s idea was Greig? Ha ha I think we`ll have fun on this one . . .I`ve had a peek at others. Not easy are they?
Good luck you guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Andy - good idea to remind us we should say which piece we're playing!

(um....edited to add in : I'm playing Op12 N3, Watchman's Song)

I am really just at the "figuring out the notes" stage - several places where there are four note chords, which I'm not very used to (yet!).

I'm wondering if it is "cheating" to play the 32nd not arpeggios with my right hand, as it has nothing else to do in those bars smile

My right is more flexible than my left (though I'm left handed!).... I'll have to get my teacher to show me how to roll through them. I have an idea of what you mean Andy, but I haven't really had to do it yet, so it is another "new for me" skill to learn.

I'm already really delighted with how rich and full the music sounds - it is quite delicious!

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/02/13 05:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I am really just at the "figuring out the notes" stage - several places where there are four note chords, which I'm not very used to (yet!).

I'm wondering if it is "cheating" to play the 32nd not arpeggios with my right hand, as it has nothing else to do in those bars smile

My right is more flexible than my left (though I'm left handed!).... I'll have to get my teacher to show me how to roll through them. I have an idea of what you mean Andy, but I haven't really had to do it yet, so it is another "new for me" skill to learn.

I'm already really delighted with how rich and full the music sounds - it is quite delicious!

Redistributing the notes to the other hand isn't cheating, if that's easier, do it! I do that all the time. grin

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Redistributing the notes to the other hand isn't cheating, if that's easier, do it! I do that all the time. grin

Well now, that's encouraging! smile

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Rostosky I hate to do this to you, but I discussed the recital with my teacher (the mighty LuAnn), and she wants me to switch to 57/2 "Gade". So that will free up 12/8, which is one of the easier one-page pieces if anyone wants it. I'll keep 71/3 as my second piece if available.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Just in case my post was lost just before the last list was updated, I'd like to reserve Op. 38/1, Berceuse, if no-one else takes it as a main choice.

Thank you.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I believe they're meant to be played in the RH, Cheryl. They're just written in the bass clef.

Redistribution of notes between the hands is one of the first things I do when I finally take a piece to the piano. It's not cheating. Think how a play-by-ear pianist would do it!

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can I give up my first choice, for 12/8 smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Really sorry for messin' you about Rossy, 'rushed into a decision, and wanna stick with Op.38 No.2 (This one is funny, makes me smile lol, although harder than I thought pmsl smile )

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here is todays updated/swapped/messed around by wayne and finally corrected list that is the current state of affairs that nobody can get confused with or change their minds again at list:

(Regardless of how cute your teachers name appears to be)

The dog eating the score is also not an excuse, the "A" in ABF implies a slight amount of grown-up-ness/maturity?

In other words seperate from english humour "dudes. and dudettes sort your selves out and stop swapping.

Except say if someone gives up their piece to allow someone else to take part who couldnt otherwise cos everything left is too hard for them.

Thats called " a noble swap" all this other business, is what we call in the uk : Liszting towards the shambolic"

Anyways the updated liszt:

OPUS 12
No. 1, Arietta : AimeeO
No. 2, Vals (Waltz):Saranoya.
No. 3, Vektersang (Watchman's song, after Macbeth):casinitaly
No. 4, Alfedans (Elves' dance); Ladychen
No. 5, Folkevise (Popular melody): Andy Platt.
No. 6, Norsk (Norwegian melody)
No. 7, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 8, Fedrelandssang (National song)

Book II, Op. 38 (composed 1883 except where noted; published 1883):

No. 1, Berceuse
No. 2, Folkevise (Folk-song)Wayne
No. 3, Melodi (Melody) SwissMS
No. 4, Halling (Dance)
No. 5, Springdans (Spring dance)[1]
No. 6, Elegi (Elegy):Recaredo.
No. 7, Vals (Waltz, originally composed 1866; revised 1883)
No. 8, Kanon (Canon, composed ca. 1877-8?; revised 1883)

Book III, Op. 43 (composed probably 1886; published 1886; ded. Isidor Seiss):

No. 1, Sommerfugl (Butterfly) :Beric.
No. 2, Ensom vandrer (Solitary traveller)
No. 3, I hjemmet (In my homeland)allard
No. 4, Liten fugl (Little bird)
No. 5, Erotikk (Erotikon): Peterws
No. 6, Til våren (To spring)

Book IV, Op. 47 (composed 1886-8 except where noted; published 1888):

No. 1, Valse-Impromptu
No. 2, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 3, Melodi (Melody)
No. 4, Halling
No. 5, Melankoli (Melancholy)stumbler
No. 6, Springtanz (Spring dance,[1] composed 1872?; revised 1888)
No. 7, Elegi (Elegy)

Book V, Op. 54 (composed 1889-91; published 1891; Nos. 1-4 later orchestrated as Lyric Suite):

No. 1, Gjetergutt (Shepherd's boy)
No. 2, Gangar (Norwegian march)ZRTF90
No. 3, Trolltog (March of the Dwarfs) Rossy: oh deary me what have I done?
No. 4, Notturno : Dipsey.
No. 5, Scherzo
No. 6, Klokkeklang (Bell ringing): Sinophilia.

Book VI, Op. 57 (composed 1890?-3; published 1893):

No. 1, Svundne dager (Vanished days)
No. 2, Gade ;SAMS.
No. 3, Illusjon (Illusion)pianostudent88
No. 4, Geheimniss (Secret)
No. 5, Sie tanzt (She dances)
No. 6, Heimweh (Homesickness)ragnhildK

Book VII, Op. 62 (composed 1893?-5; published 1895):

No. 1, Sylfide (Sylph)
No. 2, Takk (Gratitude)
No. 3, Fransk serenade (French serenade)
No. 4, Bekken (Brooklet)
No. 5, Drømmesyn (Phantom)Pavel.K
No. 6, Hjemad (Homeward): Dire tonic.

Book VIII, Op. 65 (composed 1896; published 1897):

No. 1, Fra ungdomsdagene (From early years): Morodiene.
No. 2, Bondens sang (Peasant's song)
No. 3, Tungsinn (Melancholy)
No. 4, Salong (Salon)
No. 5, I balladetone (Ballad):Rupak.
No. 6, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen): Ganddalf.

Book IX, Op. 68 (composed 1898-9; published 1899; Nos. 4 and 5 were orchestrated in 1899):

No. 1, Matrosenes oppsang (Sailor's song):ElleC
No. 2, Bestemors menuet (Grandmother's minuet)
No. 3, For dine føtter (At your feet)
No. 4, Aften på højfjellet (Evening in the mountains): Limefriday.
No. 5, Bådnlåt (At the cradle)
No. 6, Valse mélancolique (Melancholy waltz)

Book X, Op. 71 (composed and published 1901):

No. 1, Det var engang (Once upon a time)
No. 2, Sommeraften (Summer's eve):FARMGIRL
No. 3, Småtroll (Puck)
No. 4, Skogstillhet (Peace in the woods):VALENCIA.
No. 5, Halling
No. 6, Forbi (Gone)Keystring
No. 7, Etterklang (Remembrances):dynamobt.

And if they are not taken by others , then we have second choices of:
Valencia (57.1)
Saranoya (47.2)
Morodiene ( 71.5)
Ganddalf (68.5)
Limefriday (71.1)
Dipsey ( 47.3)
Ladychen (38.4)
Peterws (47.6)
SamS (71.3)
Beric (43.6)
SwissMS (38.7)
Dire tonic (68.3)
ragnhildK (43.2)
ZRTF90; (38.1)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I believe they're meant to be played in the RH, Cheryl. They're just written in the bass clef.

Redistribution of notes between the hands is one of the first things I do when I finally take a piece to the piano. It's not cheating. Think how a play-by-ear pianist would do it!

I've only done a tiny bit of re-distribution - in a Schumann piece I started a few weeks ago. It was for a chord that was (for me) physically impossible to play!

Your logic of a play-by-ear pianist's approach makes sense. I don't do much playing-by-ear so it didn't seem obvious to me right off the bat.

Thanks Richard!

[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sorry to be difficult again, but eh ... the 'Album Leaf' I have in my Carl Fischer book is actually not the one I thought it was (it's a typo in the book: it says it's opus 47/2, but it's actually opus 12/7).

So ... could I change my second choice? Please?

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
Page 9 of 47 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission