2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
personne #2072775 04/28/13 11:55 AM
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@personne

I checked with Roland dealers around Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. While prices vary slightly, the biggest difference is the delivery cost. I'll try to negotiate with the store here and get the best price possible.

EssBrace #2072781 04/28/13 12:07 PM
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@EssBrace

After further consideration, I decided that I'm just not a big fan of the styling of the Yamaha AvantGrand N1. I think it's mostly due to the lower portion of the back that is completely open except for the supports that attach to the pedals. The aesthetics of the N2 and N3 are better, but both of those are beyond my budget at this point.

I have to say I disagree that the LX-15 looks cheap. In fact, I think it looks very nice, though as with most pianos, I'm sure it's a fingerprint magnet.

Last edited by BigKens; 04/28/13 12:08 PM.
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@PianoWorksATL

Unfortunately I couldn't find a place to try the NU1 nearby. From what I understand from other posts on this forum, it's still an upright action, much like the LX-15?

The LX-15 also has 6 speakers to the NU1's 2 speakers, so there may be an advantage in sound quality for people like me who will be using headphones only occasionally.

Last edited by BigKens; 04/28/13 01:28 PM.
EssBrace #2072825 04/28/13 01:31 PM
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@EssBrace

No offence taken smile Choosing a piano is inherently subjective and based on personal preferences.

I find it a bit curious that you like the looks of the NU1 but not the LX-15? They look quite similar, in my opinion, and I like the looks of both quite a bit.

Although the grand key action would be nice, I am no longer considering the AvantGrand N1 due to looks and the additional cost.

BigKens #2072852 04/28/13 02:43 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I don't object to the look of the Roland at all, it's very nice - but when I studied one at close quarters it just looked a little bit flimsy. It gave me the impression of being more about look than substance.

BigKens #2072853 04/28/13 02:43 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by BigKens
From what I understand from other posts on this forum, it's still an upright action, much like the LX-15?

Absolutly not, the action are really different
I have owned a Roland with PHA3 action (same as in LX-15) and now I have a NU1
The Roland action is really good, but the NU1 action is a real piano action, the are not comparable.
By the way, you may like the Roland action,and even prefer it other the NU1, it only a matter of taste
I would say that it is really "harder" to play on the NU1 which requires same skills and technics than for a real upright piano
If you prefer "easier" and lighter action, then the Roland is your choice.

The LX-15 also has 6 speakers to the NU1's 2 speakers, so there may be an advantage in sound quality for people like me who will be using headphones only occasionally.
â—Š

That is probably right, but I can say that the sound system of the NU1 is pretty good (LX-15 is proably even better, but I have not tested it)

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
BigKens #2072876 04/28/13 03:01 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The NU1 has four speakers. Two woofers, two tweeters. Just saying.

BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@enzo.sandrolini

That's good to know - thanks!

BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@spanishbuddha

Oops - must have misread the specifications sheet. Thanks for the correction!

BigKens #2073211 04/28/13 11:28 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both are essentially higher quality but niche products, so personal fit is key to your evaluation. I could provide a list of pros/cons but its better to match your wants than to compare.

How do you feel about the primary piano sound?
They styles seem similar...is there an important detail we are missing?
Are more sounds a bonus or central to your use? (NU1 has just 5 tones)

The NU1 is low-service but not no-service. For daily use, re-regulation would be after 1 year and then every 2-4 years based on other Yamaha uprights. It certainly works without regulation, but you lose the realistic response and connection to the sample, giving funny results. I've seen it on their Silent pianos.

Actually, a product you might want to consider is a Yamaha B1 Silent.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
BigKens #2073801 04/29/13 09:45 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are absolutely right that the HP-507 is the more economical choice. After comparing the two a little more closely, I think the premium paid for the LX-15 goes towards the additional speakers, adjustable top lid, upgraded cabinet and having the "top of the line" upright model. Did I miss anything?

That said, the piano I end up getting will be in a focal point of my living room, so I think I'm okay with spending a bit extra.

I also agree that if LX-15 fits in your budget go for it. The adjustable top lid reflects/projects the sound in a very realistic way. The fallboard with its soft closing mechanism is also a great feature I think.

I am very happy with my LX-15 so far. I am surprised how well made the cabinet is and the sound is very realistic. One minor drawback. though, is that it is hard to play from a regular quality sheet of paper as it tends to bend when placed on the music rest. But if you place a regular piano book, or even a few more sheets of paper, under the sheet with the music the problem goes away.

Here is my latest recording on my LX-15:

[video:youtube]wIZbwia3Odg[/video]

Last edited by Amaruk; 04/29/13 09:52 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@PianoWorksATL

I would agree that the primary piano sound is probably the most important, and I like the concert grand sound on the LX-15. It's interesting that the NU1 only has 5 tones (probably the most popular?), since the LX-15 has something ridiculous like ~350 tones. Although I probably wouldn't use all of them, that's a big difference.

Do you know if the NU1 has the adjustable "split piano" feature? This would allow me to use two different tones at the same time (i.e. an upright bass sound in the left hand, and a grand piano in the right). Does the NU1 have the twin piano mode (i.e. two 44-key pianos with 2 middle C's)? I couldn't find those features on the specs sheet.

Thanks very much for the tip about the re-regulation/servicing. I was not aware of that, which may be the biggest downside I've heard so far with the NU1, since one of the big draws of a digital piano is the zero maintenance aspect. However, perhaps the more authentic key action is worth it?

I took a look at the Yamaha B1 Silent - definitely a very neat product, although I'm not sure it's right for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Amaruk #2075343 05/01/13 11:20 PM
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
@Amaruk

It's great to hear positive feedback on the LX-15. The adjustable top lid affecting the tonal character of the notes is a really neat feature. Do you know what the difference is between this and using the piano designer "open/close lid" settings? What happens if you use them both at the same time? Does one override the other?

The problem with loose sheet music falling is one I've had with the old upright acoustic I used to play on. I usually just put an open, thin piano book behind it, too. Another solution is to buy a clear, acrylic sheet music holder. These are normally used for keep the pages on a music stand when playing outside, but it works great inside on a piano, too smile

Thanks for posting the recording - the piano looks and sounds great!

BigKens #2075615 05/02/13 03:28 AM
C
C
Thanks very much for the tip about the re-regulation/servicing. I was not aware of that, which may be the biggest downside I've heard so far with the NU1, since one of the big draws of a digital piano is the zero maintenance aspect. However, perhaps the more authentic key action is worth it?

It's true that the action of an acoustic piano may be needed to be regulated every few years but you must have into account that digital piano actions are usually weaker and prone to break after a few years. How many years? It depends on how heavy is the use but it's very likely that in 5-10 years some keys become sticky or sunk. It also may appear additional noises as some parts of the action wear. This usually happens time after the warranty expired so we must pay the repair. In my humble opinion a real wooden action is more resistant than a digital one as it may needs a regulation but seldom breaks.

I'm not saying that to exclude the possibility of buying a digital one action instead of a real one. They have their place (of course) but I just wanted to clarify they are not zero maintenance smile

Last edited by CarloPiano; 05/02/13 03:36 AM.
BigKens #2075616 05/02/13 03:45 AM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

Do you know if the NU1 has the adjustable "split piano" feature? This would allow me to use two different tones at the same time (i.e. an upright bass sound in the left hand, and a grand piano in the right). Does the NU1 have the twin piano mode (i.e. two 44-key pianos with 2 middle C's)? I couldn't find those features on the specs sheet.

No layering or splitting with the NU1. Just the 5 tones, 2 usable piano, 1 harps, 2 useless EP. Very little tone adjustment, but can vary touch and also transpose. So in comparison is it worth it. You have to play for yourself and decide, it's a shoot out between PHAIII and the NU1 keys and SN versus Yamaha samples. If you just want piano practice the NU1 might be better, since as others have noted elsewhere it can be a beast to control, just like an acoustic upright.

I had not heard the requirement for NU1 regulation after one year. I would like to know the source. AFAICT it's the same as an acoustic, and depending on use may need regulating for wear after several years. This is a false comparison factor IMHO.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarloPiano
It's true that the action of a piano may be needed to be regulated every few years but you must have into account that digital piano actions are usually weaker and prone to break after a few years. How many years? It depends on how heavy is the use but it's very likely that in 5-10 years some keys become sticky or sunk. It also may appear additional noises as some parts of the action wear. This usually happens time after the warranty expired so we must pay the repair. In my humble opinion a real wooden action is more resistant than a digital one as it may needs a regulation but seldom breaks.
In regards to higher end digital actions like those from Roland, Yamaha & Kawai, this does not follow the reality. They don't really break or need service unless it is early (and under warranty). Aside from some isolated manufacturing issues, the digital action is much more simpler with less to break. Wood has nothing to do with that. Wood is great, but complexity is what requires service (along with use of leather and felt).

Lower-end products have lower expectations and the portable models take a beating, but I remember a recent piano teacher asking for help with her Roland. It was 13 years old and used for 5+ hrs/day x 5-6 days per week. She had a tech come out to her home and service it for a grand total of $135. Then it was back to 100%. That was very reassuring.

When looking over the specs of the NU1, I do not see anything that references split tones as an option.

In the LX-15, there is an excess of GM and other tones, with most people using only a few. Of my favorites from my digital, only 1-2 would be among the 5 most popular. Still, over 80% of the time, I'm using just the piano sound.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I had not heard the requirement for NU1 regulation after one year. I would like to know the source.
I made the comment based on what real piano actions need. The felts & leathers used compress the most during the first year of use and "seasons". It is common among manufacturer recommendations for piano ownership. It doesn't break or anything like that, but the tendency to not service them leads to a faster dissatisfaction with the product as it loses responsiveness and solid feel. A proper service plan leads to greater overall satisfaction, though most salespeople are known to minimize service requirements. It's too bad how often this negatively affects acoustic pianos that also require tuning & voicing.

It matters.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
C
C
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
In regards to higher end digital actions like those from Roland, Yamaha & Kawai, this does not follow the reality. They don't really break or need service unless it is early (and under warranty). Aside from some isolated manufacturing issues, the digital action is much more simpler with less to break. Wood has nothing to do with that. Wood is great, but complexity is what requires service (along with use of leather and felt).

This follows your reality - but not mine (every experience can be different one from another, I maybe was unlucky). My experience with digital piano actions is the following:

[I edited my message as long as don't feel the need to bore people with the detailed experiences I had with DP's, one mine and several from friends and other places. Also a simple youtube search for "clavinova repair" or "clavinova sticky keys" is enough to see that a DP action failure is such a common thing given the time]

In my opinion the durability of a digital piano action depends on the intensity of the use. A DP in home of an amateur who plays a minutes a day and a not demanding repertoire may last ages. A DP in home of a professional pianist or advanced student practicing several hours a day demanding pieces, exercises and etudes is more likely to start failing in some years.

Last edited by CarloPiano; 05/02/13 10:52 AM. Reason: Eliminating boring experiences
BigKens #2080432 05/10/13 04:53 PM
BigKens Offline OP
OP Offline
I just wanted to provide an update, since it's been a little while. I had the chance to try out the LX-15 one last time in the store, and I just loved playing on it so much that I decided that I wasn't going to second-guess my decision any longer and I ended up purchasing it right there.

The store only had the floor model left, but thankfully some extra brand new units were available in Toronto, so the LX-15 was delivered to my house just a few days ago! I managed to negotiate them down quite a bit from the sticker price, since I came armed with a few other quotes from stores in Montreal and Toronto. I was fortunate that they were willing to price match, rather than potentially lose the sale.

I wanted to thank everyone on these forums for all of the input and honest opinions and feedback. It definitely helped me make/reaffirm my decision.

BigKens #2080439 05/10/13 05:03 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@BigKens,

Congratulations on your purchase!

As you now have one of the best Roland's available in the upright style models which has some of the same modeling parameters from the V-Piano, and, being a V-Piano owner myself the LX-15 should be a great digital to play. I almost considered buying one prior to getting the V-Piano.

The action, sounds, and speaker projection, should be excellent in the LX-15.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission