2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually Marty, two of the posters so are techs, and a couple are dealers.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Yes, but just what is the "build quality"? Are there any similarities/differences in construction methods or the materials used? They all claim to have a unique acoustic design. Do they?

"Materials", i.e. "specs" are often similar even between such pianos as Brodmann and some of the Euros.

"Construction methods" less so.

"Unique designs" even less, with "unique" not necessarily meaning "superior"

1000 little industry secrets - not at all.

Which is exactly why the French will give you a tour of their wineries but never tell you *how* exactly they make their
Bordeaux...

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 04/27/13 06:41 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva
All of these intermediate-grade pianos are designed by their respective parent companies, but they are all over the map with regard to where and by whom their parts are manufactured, and where and by whom they are assembled...What I DO care about is the tone, touch, build quality, and longevity of the finished product....Please answer the question posed by the subject line - "Are they also-rans or excellent?"

Alma, let me ask you another question. Are you asking if these "name-brand" intermediate grade pianos are as good and solid as the similar product from Yamaha or Kawai? That is their immediate competition, after all.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Follow-up to Laguna Greg.

In the 'intermediate' and 'entry' areas, Boston doesn't sound like Kawai and Essex doesn't sound like Pearl River.

An added thought is that some guy wrote a book, grouping by price point primarily, for general categories. It's the 'you get what you pay for' approach.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
[quote] Which is exactly why the French will give you a tour of their wineries but never tell you *how* exactly they make their Bordeaux...Norbert wink

Norbert, I absolutely adore you!

But you are evading. I wasn't asking the Vigneron how he makes his wine, I was asking the oenologue what he thinks. And the oenologue is paid not to lie.

Gros Bisous Bien Fort,

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
..there are some objective measures that can be compared. I mean, 48 grams is 48 grams, right?
Absolutely not! Do not confuse the static touchweight with the way an instrument actually feels and responds in play.

And a Steinway sounds like a Steinway sounds like a Steinway, right? Steinways don't sound like a Mason & Hamlin.
Again - I say no. Very, very few people could positively identify a piano's brand by tone 100% of the time.

It is easy for a lay-person to try to render down and simplify things, creating a black and white image. But reality is comprised of more than a few shades of gray.

The saying goes that the devil is in the details. I would counter by saying that divinity is in the nuance.

JG

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Actually Marty, two of the posters so are techs, and a couple are dealers.

The dealers I am aware of, but I don't know if they are techs. I don't think that Norbert or Rich are techs, but they do have a great deal of experience in all facets of the piano biz. Prior to your statement, none of the posters identify themselves as technicians.

Marty in Minnesota

Are you asking if these "name-brand" intermediate grade pianos are as good and solid as the similar product from Yamaha or Kawai?

This IMHO is the killer question.

If "yes" then we can't talk about Japanese pianos 30-40 years old.

At that point most of them have seen their best days and few [if any] are deemed worthy contenders for rebuilding.
40 years, that's it?

If "no", then some are either highly overpriced with others being 'under-priced'

To know exactly "which is which" appears to be the "killer".

To avoid confusion why not simply pay similar [or save up a bit] to get Estonia?

Norbert help

Last edited by Norbert; 04/27/13 07:40 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply
And a Steinway sounds like a Steinway sounds like a Steinway, right? Steinways don't sound like a Mason & Hamlin.
Again - I say no. Very, very few people could positively identify a piano's brand by tone 100% of the time.

However, a person who is familiar with a range of different instruments, would be able to identify which instrument is a Steinway and which is the Mason in a blindfold test. It's not 'name that piano' from a single sample, but rather, 'which is which?' That's not difficult at all.

Marty in Minnesota

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
All of these intermediate-grade pianos are designed by their respective parent companies, but they are all over the map with regard to where and by whom their parts are manufactured, and where and by whom they are assembled...What I DO care about is the tone, touch, build quality, and longevity of the finished product....Please answer the question posed by the subject line - "Are they also-rans or excellent?"

Alma, let me ask you another question. Are you asking if these "name-brand" intermediate grade pianos are as good and solid as the similar product from Yamaha or Kawai? That is their immediate competition, after all.

Yes, Greg, that is what I am asking. I am asking if these intermediate-grade offerings from companies with impressive pedigrees (e.g., Bechstein's "W. Hoffmann Tradition" line, Bluthner's "Irmler Europe" line, Schimmel's "Vogel" line, etc.) are as good and solid as the Kawai "RX" and Yamaha "C" lines. Are they better than, equal to, or worse than the Kawai and Yamaha competition?

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K

Yes, but there are some objective measures that can be compared. I mean, 48 grams is 48 grams, right?

Actually, 48 grams isn't 48 grams. The dynamic feel of an instrument can vary wildly even though the static measurement is the same. Depends on what's happening -- moving a piece of lead a ways down, compressing a spring or accelerating a mass, or a mix of all three.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Marty!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kpembrook

Yes, but there are some objective measures that can be compared. I mean, 48 grams is 48 grams, right?

Actually, 48 grams isn't 48 grams. The dynamic feel of an instrument can vary wildly even though the static measurement is the same. Depends on what's happening -- moving a piece of lead a ways down, compressing a spring or accelerating a mass, or a mix of all three.

So? Let's talk about it! What do YOU think?

(sheesh, I've never had such trouble getting people to express an opinion...)

Cheers!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
..there are some objective measures that can be compared. I mean, 48 grams is 48 grams, right?
Absolutely not! Do not confuse the static touchweight with the way an instrument actually feels and responds in play.

Great! What variations do you observe? Can they be characterized by brand? How does a specific maker's action design affect the touch?

I didn't say 100% of the time, but I still disagree on that point. Over the last 100+ years, S&S has made certain that their instruments have the most distinctive and consistent timbres of any piano made even during their bad years. But that's just me. As far as getting the lay person to hear the differences, it has been my experience that such a skill can be taught, with enough time and training, and a little talent. But then again, that's just me.

The saying goes that the devil is in the details. I would counter by saying that divinity is in the nuance.

I agree completely!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
Are you asking if these "name-brand" intermediate grade pianos are as good and solid as the similar product from Yamaha or Kawai?

This IMHO is the killer question.

If "yes" then we can't talk about Japanese pianos 30-40 years old.

All new pianos then, practically non-vintaged. Let's make this easy. The Bostons, after all, are brand new practically. But if there's been a shift in quality or character over time, I'd love to hear somebody, anybody talk about it.

So. What do you think?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, Greg, that is what I am asking. I am asking if these intermediate-grade offerings from companies with impressive pedigrees (e.g., Bechstein's "W. Hoffmann Tradition" line, Bluthner's "Irmler Europe" line, Schimmel's "Vogel" line, etc.) are as good and solid as the Kawai "RX" and Yamaha "C" lines. Are they better than, equal to, or worse than the Kawai and Yamaha competition?

You know Alma, it's getting rather humorous that nobody will answer this question, or even discuss it.

cheers!

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
My two cents:

The reason that these premium makers - you mention Bechstein, Bluthner, Steinway and Schimmel - offer these lower priced lines is to sell to people who have a lower budget. The Irmler line isn't actually made by Bluthner, it's selected by Bluthner to be sold in their outlets. The pianos have been made in various factories, notably Young Chang, Samick and Pearl River. There are some made in Europe, badged 'Irmler Europe', but I don't know which factory made them. Bluthner's 'second' line is actually Haessler, which conforms more or less to Bechstein's Hoffman Tradition series.

The Bechstein Hoffmann and the Bluthner Haessler, are still actually fairly expensive pianos when compared with Yamaha or Kawai, they are priced probably at the mid point between say, Yamaha and Bluthner. Bluthner is actually less expensive than Bechstein in the UK, which is not a measure of their quality but more a measure of how retail works. Both are excellent pianos.

Whether or not these lower priced lines (Irmler, Hoffmann, Vogel, Brodmann, May-Berlin) are as 'good' as Yamaha and Kawai, well, perhaps Hoffmann tradition is. I've played some of their uprights and thought they were just beautiful. They are priced very well - £10,000 for a 132 cm upright.

Brodmann PE is in a lower class than Yamaha, and Irmler (non Europe) is in a lower class still. Their prices reflect this in the UK.

It's not that Yamaha and Kawai don't have a good pedigree - they do. They build pianos in all price ranges, Yamaha being a good example with the GC series, right up to the CF series. Kawai with their GE and Shigeru at either end of their spectrum. The instruments coming from these manufacturers are amongst the best in their price range, and the upper end of their output, the handbuilts, equal many of their competitors.

Now, whether or not the other manufacturers in the lower price range (I call it low price if it costs £10-20k for a 6foot grand when a Steinway A is 65,000....), for me, No. I would prefer to spend my money on a Yamaha or Kawai, or find an older instrument from the high end market and have it comprehensively rebuilt, which is a little more expensive but well worth it if you get a good one.

I actually own a Brodmann, and it has had it's problems with consistency, it takes a bit more tech time to keep it right, and I've had the top section restrung due to a fault. The piano sounds good now, and for the money (FOR THE MONEY!!) at the time I bought it, I couldn't have bought better. They are probably still amongst the best IN their class.

Since I am a concert pianist, and despite recession my concert workload has more than doubled in the last two years, the Brodmann is not coping as well as it did before, and I am searching for my next victim, which I'm hoping will be with me in the next 18 months - of course, you'll all be the first to know what I buy and I already have my sights zoning in closer to my choice....

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Joe,

Thank you for having the courage to chime in.

I'll start by saying I took a look at your site, and I have to say it's just GORGEOUS-LOOKING!!! And your idea for that fugue is lovely, really captivating.

I always find it disappointing that the few people who can actually appreciate a really fine instrument can almost never afford them. What are you thinking of buying next? Or rather, what attracts you?

Cheers!

for the money (FOR THE MONEY!!) at the time I bought it, I couldn't have bought better. They are probably still amongst the best IN their class.

Which makes me think.

If a piano is *not* to be judged "for the money" - then by what other measure is a shopper actually to make a decision?

Just "brand name"?

The thing coming to mind is that if "the money" constricts one to make a more suitable choice one needs to save up more cash and come up with more $$.

So, that for "more money" an even better choice hopefully can be made.

"For the money" is where almost every single purchase is taking place I know. Buyers right or wrong, are generally being convinced getting best quality exactly "at" or "within" that range.

With special attention given to active players and pianists...

Isn't that exactly what happened - or "will" always happen - when buying your own piano?

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 04/28/13 03:17 PM.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by joe80
My two cents:

Whether or not these lower priced lines (Irmler, Hoffmann, Vogel, Brodmann, May-Berlin) are as 'good' as Yamaha and Kawai, well, perhaps Hoffmann tradition is. I've played some of their uprights and thought they were just beautiful. They are priced very well - £10,000 for a 132 cm upright.

Thanks for the info, Joe. So, based on your playing experience, you think that Bechstein's "Hoffmann Tradition" line is probably on a par with the Kawai RX and Yamaha C lines, but you don't know about the "Irmler Europe", "Vogel", "Boston" etc. lines. Fair enough.

You said in your post that you didn't know much about the "Irmler Europe" line., Well, here is a link that will inform you:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring13/177.html

Polish cabinet, Indonesian strung back, Czech or German action, German hammers & final assembly - if this "Irmler Europe" isn't a "global piano", I don't know what is. Jeez! confused

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission