2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (AZNpiano, Bett, AaronSF, AlphaBravoCharlie, BadDude, astrotoy, Abdol, Arty Movie, 15 invisible), 540 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Advice on Tuning Hammer
pianokeys135 #2071786 04/26/13 07:57 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I believe those tips are interchangeable.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
pianokeys135 #2071801 04/26/13 09:15 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I started off with the nylon extension handle,bought a couple of extensions with different length tips, they worked fine but the lever is a bit on the heavy side. I recently purchased the David Levitan Classic lever from PianoTek and I really like it.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
pianokeys135 #2071867 04/26/13 11:56 PM
OP Offline
Yeah - I was just reading the section in Pianos Inside Out about choosing a tuning lever, and I'm wondering if I should get the Dan Levitan Classic or the Fujan because they are stiffer than the traditional hammers...Not sure where I can order the Dan Levitan lever, though, because I don't have a Pianotek account.

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2071978 04/27/13 07:54 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Submit a app with them. PianoTek

Les Koltvedt
PTG Associate
pianokeys135 #2072086 04/27/13 12:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Les. Unfortunately, it's the weekend now. I'm not expecting to be able to get in touch with them until Monday, but I'll give it a shot next week.

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2072161 04/27/13 02:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
PK135,

Yes, the Watanabe tips fit on Schaff heads. (Better than the Schaff tips do, in my experience).

If you do manage to open an account with PianoTek, please drop me a private message.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
LinkedIn profile
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
pianokeys135 #2072423 04/27/13 08:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianokeys135
Does anyone know if the Schaff and Watanabe tips are interchangeable?

For example, if I buy a Schaff hammer, can I use both Schaff and Watanabe tips on it?

Thanks.

They are, indeed. At least I interchange them, without any problems smile

The Schaff tips are a bit tighter than the Watanabes, so a Watanabe 3 would be roughly a Schaff 2 1/2, in my experience. There might be other takes on this, of course, as always.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
pianokeys135 #2072464 04/27/13 10:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Jahn tips? I was initially looking at the Watanabe and Schaff tips, but now I'm thinking about the Jhan tips as well, as I'm leaning towards the Fujan lever now.

Thanks.

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2072522 04/27/13 11:40 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I recently bought a Fujan lever and love it, after using a Hale extension lever for the last 36 years.

That being said, the Fujan is a huge investment for a novice tech; I think getting that one right off the bat might be going a bit overboard. IMO, I think you;re better served starting off with something a little further down the price range, until you refine a proper hammer technique and get a sense of pin setting, and then decide which high-end lever you want to go with.

I think starting out with a high-end lever is kind of like learning to drive in a Ferrari Testarossa...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
pianokeys135 #2072615 04/28/13 03:29 AM
OP Offline
Thanks OperaTenor. Yeah - Maybe the Dan Levitan hammer or the Jahn Lightweight hammer would be a better choice for me at about half the price of the Fujan, or for even less the Nylon Schaff hammer (non-extension). After reading about how the stiffer hammers can make for better tuning, though, I wonder if the Schaff might be a bit more flexible than I would want. It seems like the Jahn Lightweight hammer comes in a kit with a few Jahn tips. Maybe that is the way to go. One thing I like about the Fujan, though, is that it's so modular. It seems like the Jahn hammer is somewhat modular too, but I'm not sure I would want to commit to getting the different components for it. I guess I could still use the Jahn tips if I decided to upgrade to the Fujan later on.

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2072648 04/28/13 06:41 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
There is the expression "trying to run before you can walk".

While I would not recommend starting with a really cheap and nasty lever (someone showed me yesterday a gooseneck lever they had bought, with a square tip, non-interchangable, and far too great an angle to use comfortably), it's important to make a start and practice lots of tuning work. I think a not-too-expensive lever is the way to go, to begin with, in order to find out if you are naturally drawn to or adept at tuning. Don't agonise about the top-flight levers at this stage. Remember that all tuners made a living without them before they started to exist just a few years ago.

pianokeys135 #2072676 04/28/13 08:05 AM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I agree with David. It is good to give some consideration to which hammer to buy, but the lion's share of the effort will be in how to use it. Good hammer technique does not rely as much on the quality of the hammer, IMHO.

I have tested and proved this opinion, for myself, by using my prreferred technique (slow pull with open double unison tuning) with a torque wrench, which is about as flexible a wrench as you can get.

I also use a loose (poor) fitting technique where I take the hammer off the pin a bit to get a loose fit, and use it like an impact wrench. (This does increase wear, in my experience, so I don't use it often)

For me, slow pull also does not depend on fit because, with the one directional approach to pitch, there is always constant contact between tip and pin; the looseness is only a problem when you are going back and forth, searching for the pitch. With slow pull, you approach from one direction and drop it where you want it. (It doesn't work well with tight pinblocks, but the loose fit technique does.)

For me, it is the hand fit and weight that is the preferred goal, but that is subjective, IMHO.

pianokeys135 #2072689 04/28/13 08:35 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I don't think the comparison with learning to drive in a ferrari is valid here - a carbon fibre tuning hammer will definitely make learning to tune easier IMO. You will find feeling the movement of the pin and setting it much easier from the beginning if you have a stiffer tuning hammer. A cheaper hammer will be more flexible, and so you will have to spend longer learning the right amount of force to use to move the base of the pin as the flexibility of the hammer will absorb some of the feedback you feel from the hammer.

As soon as I switched to a carbon tuning hammer (by Charles Faulk) I immediately wished I'd always had one. They don't make anything more difficult, like a Ferrari would if you are learning to drive, they only make it easier!

So really it is just a question of price. Buy the stiffest, and lightest, hammer that you can afford.

pianokeys135 #2072696 04/28/13 08:59 AM
I'd recommend the Dan Levitan classic for a beginner. It's very high quality, it's priced right, and it will come with a tip that won't strip your tuning pins. I am amazed at the number of junk tools that find their way into musician's hands, and have seen several levers over the past year that were absolutely worthless.

It's easy for a pro technician to adapt to just about anything, the way a great player can make music on almost any piano no matter the condition. But I think a beginner should have a quality tool so they can concentrate on tuning.

BTW, I have been using the Dan Levitan C-shaped lever extensively, and will have much more to say on it in the near future. It has changed my life!

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
James Carney #2072707 04/28/13 09:26 AM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'll look forward to your observations on the Levitan C lever in due course, James.

Dan Levitan held a seminar day at Steinway in London last OCtober, and we were able to watch adn to try out the C lever. Only a brief try of it though - I would have liked to try doing a whole piano with it.

I really enjoy my Fujan lever, one of the best piano tool purchases I ever made.

pianokeys135 #2072804 04/28/13 12:59 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the responses everyone. The Dan Levitan C lever looks very interesting, but I think I should probably go with something more traditional to start out with.

I'm sort of going back and forth at this point between the Levitan Classic or the Jahn Lightweight lever on the one hand and a more expensive carbon fiber hammer on the other. I'm not sure where I can get the Levitan Classic or the Jahn Lightweight levers, though. I guess I'll have to wait and try pianotek tomorrow. I definitely understand the reasoning behind getting something more affordable to start out with. At the same time, it seems like the CF levers may actually be better to learn on because of their additional stiffness, so maybe it's worth it!

Cost is a factor, and I may end up not going with the CF just for that reason. I'm wondering, though, are the CF levers that much stiffer than the Levitan Classic or the Jahn Lightweight lever to justify the extra cost for me?

eek

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2073417 04/29/13 11:09 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm very happy with the DL Classic... for the $$.

Les Koltvedt
PTG Associate
Les Koltvedt #2073522 04/29/13 02:42 PM
jmw Offline
As a relatively inexperienced tuner myself, I can vouch for the Dan Levitan hammer. I fought and fought for a couple of years with an old student lever, and the Levitan provided a vast improvement in control. Of course, then I had to re-learn technique, as it takes much less muscle to get the pin moving.

Another thing folks may want to comment on is this- my friend and pro-tech locally showed me how he changed to one of the short levers- it looks just like a typical rosewood extension lever, but about half as long. His advice was, the closer you can get to feeling the movement of the pin, the better.

Good luck,
jw

Music teacher and beginning Tuner
pianokeys135 #2073675 04/29/13 05:51 PM
OP Offline
Hey everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Jahn lightweight lever kit for now. It comes with the hammer, the tip wrench, and three Jahn tips. This way, if I decide to go with the Fujan later on, I'll already have the Jahn tips that work with it and the tip wrench. Plus I like the fact that it's a bit more modular than the DL classic (different head angles, etc.), since I may want to try different things. I'm excited to get started with this!

pianokeys135
a piano player
pianokeys135 #2074018 04/30/13 09:00 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think no matter what you end up with, you'll be looking for something else in the future... it's a tool/guy thing....lol

Les Koltvedt
PTG Associate
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching melodic jazz improvisation
by rintincop - 05/28/20 05:10 PM
Post Question
by PatG - 05/28/20 04:14 PM
Action: Yamaha P-515 vs. Kawai VPC1
by SamG - 05/28/20 02:49 PM
Some interesting opportunities
by BDB - 05/28/20 02:30 PM
New-ish rental Y b2
by Maestro Lennie - 05/28/20 02:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,239
Posts2,963,243
Members97,214
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission