2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MrsLois Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have been hired to perform a 60-minute slot at a retirement residence at the end of May (so lots of time still left to figure this out!), and really don't know what to play.

I have a couple of rag time pieces, some well-known broadway, and some pretty fancy arrangements of some hymns that they will know.

Anything else you would suggest to fill in the gaps? Thanks!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
jazz standards would be good: Autumn Leaves, Misty, All the Things You Are, Satin Doll, Georgia, etc. Piano Adventures has these tunes and others in their Jazz and Blues supplementary books for various levels. I like Book 4. Add in some of your favorite classical pieces, too.

Piano Teacher
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I play 4x a month at retirement homes. My repertoire is mostly old big band standards - Tuxedo Junction, Sentimental Journey, et al - with a smattering of stuff even older than that - Yankee Doodle Boy, You're a Grand Old Flag. But I suspect you'll have all kinds of folk and anything you want to play, from Daisy to Chopin, will be appreciated.

The online collection of Lester Levy at Johns Hopkins University has a lot of older no-longer copyrighted material, much of which is intermediate level since it was meant to be sold to the general public, so if that kind of thing interests you (old Stephen Foster, the above Geo. M. Cohean, Danny Boy, etc) it's a great place to get sheet music.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
How about a few well known classics? Fur Elise (maybe just the first section?), Minuet in G, Pachelbel Canon? Just to add some variety between the jazz tunes.

M.M., Piano performance and pedagogy
Member, MTNA and NCMTA
M
MrsLois Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Great suggestions!

J
J
We have some high school students who come in and play at a local nursing home. They play early advanced classical pieces - Chopin Nocturnes, Brahms Intermezzos, etc. There are plenty of retired piano teachers and pianists among the residents who just swoon over hearing this music. They know every note and follow along. So be sure to include some good classical music for the piano lovers in the group.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Every time I play in a retirement home, the residents and staff are happy to hear the piano. They are glad to have live music.

I play light classical, some gospel, and when I play a Blues or Boogie-Woogie, they are always the favorites.

Whatever you play, as long as you play it well, that is what counts. Even very simple things are good. I warmed up with scales one day, and several residents enjoyed that, it brought back nice memories for them, they said.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission