2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
This isn't really a teaching question, but I know you guys best...

I have been asked by an acquaintance to play "background" music at the grand opening of his new .... funeral parlor. He asked me to just play "some classical stuff" (as opposed to pop, not as opposed to baroque.) The problem is, I don't have an extensive rep of the calm, soothing background music I think he has in mind, (not the kind of music I play for fun) and have less than 3 weeks to put together something. I have several nice books of hymn arrangements that I can use as backup, but he specifically requested classical, so I want to make an effort.

I would like to stick to intermediate level pieces so that I can learn them quicker. I'm guessing I will need 30 minutes worth or so. Maybe more. I've been playing through books looking for appropriate things to learn or polish, but thought I'd ask here for suggestions.

Any ideas?

piano teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
2nd movements of sonatinas by Clementi, Diabelli, and some Kuhlau. Lichner wrote some nice 2nd movements in his sonatinas as well. You can get some sonatina album and play through all the slow movements.

You can also play some Heller studies undertempo. Nobody will ever know the difference.

If these are all too easy, go for the slow movements of Mozart and Haydn. Lots of gems there.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Time to pull out your anthologies!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Never thought of using the slow movements of sonatinas! Great idea! My son and I had a blast playing Clementi together on two pianos over Christmas with the second piano parts, so those are still sitting out. I'll pull out some other sonatina books and give them a look.

I went through one Chopin book yesterday, and found a few potentials. Maybe Bach Prelude #1 - not slow, but still soothing. Maybe Beethoven Sonatina in G. Plan to look through my old John Thompson (if I can find it), too.

piano teacher
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
There are some great books that have piano arrangements of well-known classical pieces of all kinds. I would probably steer clear of anything that sounds too dark or depressing, however (no Chopin funeral march!). Being in a funeral parlor is depressing enough. I'm sure the owner wants to give off the impression of being comforting. wink Also, avoid pieces that are too flashy/bombastic.

Chopin raindrop prelude would be perfect, Grieg Nocturne, Mozart K 332 2nd movement is gorgeous but much less recognizable. Beethoven 2nd movements tend to be perfect for this as well, but again, stay away form anything too dark.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks, I'll check these out. Don't you think Raindrop Prelude might be too suspenseful? I always feel a great sense of foreboding from all those repeated notes.

I'm liking some of the minor key waltzes.

piano teacher
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
I went to the music store today, and came home with a volume of pieces "selected and edited" by Keith Snell called "Quiet Classics". The introduction says he compiled these for himself and for his students, when asked to provide background music for various events. The pieces are arranged to flow from one to another, and he has put them in four sets of 20-25 minutes of music each. I've only played through the first set so far, but it is quite sight-readable and very appropriate.

It has many of of the pieces I was already considering, plus others I hadn't thought of.

Sorry to sound like a commercial. Wanted to share this in case anyone else ever finds themselves in this same situation.

piano teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, good to know!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Lollipop
I went to the music store today, and came home with a volume of pieces "selected and edited" by Keith Snell called "Quiet Classics". The introduction says he compiled these for himself and for his students, when asked to provide background music for various events. The pieces are arranged to flow from one to another, and he has put them in four sets of 20-25 minutes of music each. I've only played through the first set so far, but it is quite sight-readable and very appropriate.

It has many of of the pieces I was already considering, plus others I hadn't thought of.

Sorry to sound like a commercial. Wanted to share this in case anyone else ever finds themselves in this same situation.

Thank you for this suggestion! After reading your post I ordered "Quiet Classics". I've played through the first set and I think this is a wonderful collection!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher has the Quiet Classics book too. She uses it for exactly the same purpose. It is a beautiful collection.

Christine

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Just wanted to chime in to say that I like Quiet Classics a lot, too. An adult student of mine is enjoying some pieces from it. Pieces are across the board as far as levels go; 5-10 and perhaps a few beyond. Lovely collection. Thanks, Lollipop, for the tip!

Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
2nd movements of sonatinas by Clementi, Diabelli, and some Kuhlau. Lichner wrote some nice 2nd movements in his sonatinas as well. You can get some sonatina album and play through all the slow movements.

You can also play some Heller studies undertempo. Nobody will ever know the difference.

If these are all too easy, go for the slow movements of Mozart and Haydn. Lots of gems there.

Ditto, especially the Mozart sonatas.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Go to www.musicnotes.com and type in Brian Crain. It's more contemporary but they play it on my iTunes radio station called 'Whisperings' and it's nice.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Chopin Preludes Op 28/14, 16, 18, 22, 24, Etudes 10/4, 12, 25/10, 11, 12, and throw in the last movement of Op 35.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Go for very easy pieces and play them flawlessly. Avoid anything show-offy and anything with challenges. You have to change your mindset for a commercial gig like this. It's about pleasing the customer, not about making great art.

Have your setlist prepared with everything in order for as little dead air between pieces as possible - ideally you'll have no dead air, just doing chord progressions as needed to the key of the next piece.

Half an hour early is on time, dress conservatively, and politely decline alcohol.

gotta go practice
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Chopin Preludes Op 28/14, 16, 18, 22, 24, Etudes 10/4, 12, 25/10, 11, 12, and throw in the last movement of Op 35.

Right. While you're at it, throw in all the Transcendental Etudes by Liszt. [Linked Image]

Did you even read the thread before you made those recommendations?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Personally, I hate background music. I'd rather have silence.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Minniemay
Personally, I hate background music. I'd rather have silence.
Oh me too, me too. If the music is good I want to listen to it. If it isn't, I don't want to hear it at all.

That said, I used to have a restaurant job playing what most people seemed to regard as background music. But *I* was listening. smile

And another disturbing trend I noticed recently at a function. It's one thing to have background music playing while there's some ceremonial action being performed, or where people are sitting quietly waiting, but it's quite another to have background music to announcements being read. What???

Du holde Kunst...
Barcarolle by Alkan, Nocturne No 2 by John Field, the second movement of Pathetique... and check out 16 Beautiful Contemporary Piano Solos.

Although I'm not a big fan of "background music" in general. ; )

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I played harp for a memorial service held by a friend whose child was stillborn. After the service I moved my harp to the receiving line, and played "background music". Later my friend told me it was so difficult to receive people in silence. She and her husband had a few minutes receiving people without music as I was in process of moving the harp. And she said it made it so much easier once the music started.

Music has a powerful effect on people. I don't dismiss "background music" as insignificant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission