2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2069701 04/24/13 01:28 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all, here's my first post. I've been searching for a piano and doing research for about six months and I've found a Steinway B from '64 at 25,900. It has been described to me as excellent original condition. I live out of the country but my uncle is a certified Steinway tech. He is going to go see the piano. If he gives me the go ahead, do you think I should go for it? I'm concerned that if I wait, someone else will snatch it up and I won't find a piano like this at this price again or at least not for a long time. I know a piano tech here that does great work as well so over time other details (regulation, voicing, repairs, etc,) can be taken care of. What do you all think?

Mountain Man (because I live on the side of a mountain)

Otto Meister upright
Rhodes Stage Piano '65
Yamaha P-95
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Price seems high to me, especially for one from that era, which was not Steinway's greatest, by any stretch of the imagination....

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Hello, welcome to the forum!

The concern that "someone else will snatch it up" is not a good motivation for you to buy a piano. You should buy a piano because you like the instrument, not because someone else might.

I don't think that price is a steal for a 50+ year old piano without restoration.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Is that a Teflon piano?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think you need to continue looking. Your assertion that you might not find one like this for this price again is not based in fact. Here in New York, there are tons of these pianos, NEWER versions, in great shape, for the same price, after you negotiate. Go to this website, for instance, and look at numbers 390, 392 and 416.

http://sonnyspianotv.com/piano-gallery

Piano Technician/Tuner
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark...
Is that a Teflon piano?

Yes it is, Mark.

Mountain man,

What Mark is referring to is the fact that the bushings in the action of a B made in 1965 were teflon instead of the traditional felt wrapped metal bushing. This seemed great at the time because teflon is inert and it is self lubricating, but many of these actions have had problems over the years. The only real solution is replacing the entire action.

Even if this action does not have any issues (which is possible), the fact that it is has teflon bushings deflates its value in the marketplace.

Additionally, depending on the structure of the piano (pin block, soundboard, bridges) you could be looking at a huge investment in addition to your purchase price, either immediately or imminently.

Pull back the reins on this one and see what your tech. says.

Keep us posted,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
plus 1

YAMAHA Artist
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You didn't give enough info to support the comments posted so far as regards the price. If this B is natural wood finish in superb shape, and it has ivory key-tops in superb shape-the asking price is not excessive. A seller usually expects a counteroffer.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all, I appreciate very much all the quick feedback.

CC2, thank you for your comment. Do you know Sonny's work? I have seen many of his pianos online.

Rich, the piano is from 1964, not 1965. That said, I am aware of the teflon issue and that is one of the things my uncle will be looking at. The only dates for the teflon era I can find say that it starts in 1968 but that is not necessarily correct. Can someone confirm for me when exactly they started using teflon? As far as the structural condition, it has been described as a "time traveler" with the sound board, pin block, and bridges caps in excellent condition.

Ed, the case is the simple ebony in like new condition with plastic keys. The price I quoted is their counter offer, it is listed for higher.

Beethoven, what is it about the '60s Steinways that are not so good? There is a post on this forum about that (http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1746450/What_s_wrong_with_1960s_Steinw.html) but it doesn't seem to give any specifics on why the 60s are subpar.

Thanks again for all the input. As soon as my uncle actually sees the piano, I will post his comments. Cheers,

Mountain Man (because I live on the side of a mountain)

Otto Meister upright
Rhodes Stage Piano '65
Yamaha P-95
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mountain man
The only dates for the teflon era I can find say that it starts in 1968 but that is not necessarily correct. Can someone confirm for me when exactly they started using teflon?

The teflon bushings began in 1962 and was officially discontinued in 1981, although I have seen a 1982 piano that had teflon.

I hope that helps,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
J
J
My understanding of the rap on the 60's to 70's era Steinways stems from business changes that gradually caused Steinway to lose much of their skilled staff over that period and quality with it. Steinway was owned by CBS from 1972 to 1985 and the "CBS era" pianos have their share of reputation challenges.

This makes some of these pianos good deals, precisely because everyone knows they are garbage.

My experience is that it's very hard to get a Teflon bushed action consistently even. You'll be happier with felt bushed in the long run I think.

Sure, the 1920's were the golden age, but these are elderly instruments now. If they've been rebuilt, they reflect the skill and taste of the rebuilder. New Steinways seem nicer now than 20 years ago when I was first shopping.

L
LFL Offline
L
Stay away from this "deal". A 50 year old piano would need reconditioning (new strings, dampers, felts) minimally, if not true restoration. I supect that if you purchased this piano,, you would have to put another $5-10K into it. I agree with the other posters regarding the teflon action of that era. You can find well restored Steinway A's for around $30K and B's for $35-40K. These are plentiful and can be found with some light internet searching.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
CBS must of really been bad, they even owned the Yankees when they were very bad in late 60s early 70s and sold them to George for 10 million. Now worth a few billion...

Originally Posted by LFL
Stay away from this "deal". A 50 year old piano would need reconditioning (new strings, dampers, felts) minimally, if not true restoration. I supect that if you purchased this piano,, you would have to put another $5-10K into it. I agree with the other posters regarding the teflon action of that era. You can find well restored Steinway A's for around $30K and B's for $35-40K. These are plentiful and can be found with some light internet searching.
I agree with your first few sentences. But your prices for Steinway A's and B's seem extremely low in my experience. Even Country Piano, with much lower prices than NYC rebuilders(who admittedly may be on the high side)sell As for 45K and Bs for 55K. In NYC these models are generally even more expensive.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by LFL
I agree with your first few sentences. But your prices for Steinway A's and B's seem extremely low in my experience. Even Country Piano, with much lower prices than NYC rebuilders(who admittedly may be on the high side)sell As for 45K and Bs for 55K. In NYC these models are generally even more expensive.

I agree that $35,000-$45,000 is probably too low for a good Steinway B rebuild.

J
J
I was surprised to find out Steinway had reintroduced the A. I think of A's and B's being of almost opposite temperaments, perhaps that is not true anymore.

When talking about restored A's, are we referring to the newer ones or the (much) older ones? Aren't the the older ones old enough to be concerned about the condition of the soundboard?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Prior to the re-introduction of the S&S-A from NY, the older issues were from 1878-1947. Any piano of that age would require consideration of the condition of the soundboard. It is not unique to S&S-A and would apply to any piano builders.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Ask your uncle check the piano for an over-hardened capo bar. It is a rare problem but I won't pay much for a B with it because the repair is expensive. It likely has the first generation of teflon bushings and may have the all felt knuckles. These action are the noisiest and the parts are difficult to service. Replacing the shanks is the best option and depending on your goals there are a lot of parts options now for configuring the action to increase dynamics, control and tonal stability.

The price does seem on the high side from what I now know and if there are any of the above issues it should sell for around $20K. If the finish, board, pin-block, bridges or strings are sub-par the value drops to somewhere between $10 and $15K

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark...
CBS must of really been bad, they even owned the Yankees when they were very bad in late 60s early 70s and sold them to George for 10 million. Now worth a few billion...

We hear some version of this fairly regularly. In fact, it is likely that had CBS not stepped in and purchased the company when it did we probably would not Steinway around to bash today. I find it odd that so many folks chose to blame CBS for problems that had been developing for decades before they stepped in, stopped the decline and at least laid the foundation for its eventual turn-around and comeback.

CBS bought a gutted and failing company. It then poured millions of dollars into at least beginning the renewal of the factory and the company. Subsequent owners and management have been able to expand on that and the company is building much better pianos today as a result.

I have no particular love for—or interest in—CBS but it is unfair, I think, to blame CBS for not being able to reverse decades of neglect during the relatively brief period of time they were in control of Steinway.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Del's got it right. The family ownership was spread wide and many members wanted dividends.

Joe Bisceglie (who was chief Tone Regulator at the end of the CBS era) told me CBS was supposed to get them new action part making machinery but didn't. I think that situation has finally changed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission