2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#2068705 04/22/13 02:51 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy.

Vital statistics ; born 1809 into a Jewish background but when his father converted to Christianity the name "Bartholdy" was added to make a distinction from the Jewish branch of he family.

From childhood he had a rigorous private education that started at 5 am in the morning.

A series of Grand tours completed his education.

A quote from Schumann ; "Who has not sometimes, at twilight, sat at the piano and, while improvising, unconsciously sung a soft melody? Now if, by chance, one can link the accompaniment with the melody in ones hands alone, and if, most of all, one is a mendelssohn, there comes forth the most beautiful songs without words"

Songs without words consists of eight books of six pieces, put out from 1829 onwards, the last two books being published posthumously.

It was intended largely for amateur pianists within a domestic situation and avoiding technical extremes.

Mostly mood pieces, some of which were written as personal messages from mendelssohn the pianist to appreciative ladies in society with whom the composer mixed, some were written for the ladies personal albums, five of the six books were dedicated to fashionable ladies.

(Source, The Great musicians, Mendelssohn part three page 34. and The new Oxford companion to music.)

Mendelssohn as a young man:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 02:54 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
There was a feeling that I'd 'bitten off more than I could chew' after I decided, a month ago, to take on one of the pieces no one wanted to do, as well as this one.

So, at a moments' notice, Beric offered to help. After studying the music for a few minutes, he played this rendition, unrehearsed.

I apologise to everyone for not being able to do this myself, and to Beric I'd like to say 'thanks Dad' for this and all the other occasions when you've helped me out.

Dipsy.

Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HE75EIzyMjA[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 02:56 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Next up is opus 19 no.2

This time played by RagnhildK.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p07cgSHlarE[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 02:57 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Onto opus 19 no.3

Played by EvelynS who hails from Indonesia and had this to say:

"This is the first time I'm learning a piece by myself. With so many pieces assigned by my teacher, it is almost impossible to focus solely on this piece. And I have been preparing for a competition so everything gets harder.

The hardest part is probably deciding the tempo. I can't possibly play as fast as how it is marked so I hope this will suffice."

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jnv-mrKylsY[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 02:58 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
the UK.
Opus 19 no.4.

Played by Beric; this time being one of his chosen pieces!

Recorded at a moments notice, this is the better of only two takes as Beric had to go into Hospital the next day.

Factoid: Beric is probably the most senior ( we think) contributor to the recital !!

But its not up to me to let you know how young he is!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TAWmbXDy8vA[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 02:59 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And hailing from Norway ! We have ganddalf's playing of opus 19 no.5.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Qww-Pq6mlc[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 03:01 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And to round up opus 19 we leave the cold Norway behind and hop over to sunny Spain!

Recaredo had this to say about his chosen piece opus 19 no.6

"Learning this piece has been a huge effort for a beginner like me, struggling with hard times, even thought that I wouldn’t be able to submit. But I love this music and really wanted to participate in this outstanding project. So I believe the long learning process has been worth it.

For the video I chose a couple of paintings of my father, since he loved to paint boats and rivers, together with the sheet music of this song without words.

I hope you like it."

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oHai0zI225c[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 03:02 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And this is what Morodiene had to say from the recitals previous location...

"Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric: Great work with no rehearsals! This is such a beautiful piece and you really brought out the lovely melody

opus 19 no.2 played by RagnhildK: I'm not familiar with this one, but what a gem! I really enjoyed how you played it, too - nicely polished!

opus 19 no.3 Played by EvelynS: I really enjoyed the energy you played this with. I wasn't bothered at all by the tempo, not ever having heard it before. I'm now inspired to learn this one (I have a feeling I'm going to be adding a lot of these pieces to my already extensive list of pieces to learn) wink

Opus 19 no.4. Played by Beric: This is one of the few SWW I had previously played. Thanks for sharing this with us and reminding me this is yet another great piece to play smile

opus 19 no.5 played by ganddalf: Wow, way to show off with memorizing your music - and with all that chromaticism! Nicely done with this perpetual motion piece

opus 19 no.6 played by Recaredo: Your hard work really paid off. Thank you for your very sensitive playing of this piece!"

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 03:03 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And what wayne said...

"This is great!!!! smile Congrats to everyone, gonna have a second listen wink"

Is everyone happy now?

Please say yes, I have mendelssohnitis in my left eye.

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 03:05 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes I´m happy now, I would have missed this thread wink.

I'm happy too smile

Thanks to Rostosky for all the effort to make this happen!

I have listened to the five (other) parts of opus 19, all very fine and personal interpretations. I feel so proud to be playing in this company !

Recaredo, I was really touched by the way you played the Gondellied - I love boat-trips smile

Last edited by ragnhildK; 04/22/13 03:57 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Comments are also going into this thread?

Can non-participants also comment? Or should I stay out of here :-D

Anyway congrats all with this!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Anyone can comment, feel free and welcome, its for everyone not just the participants.

OOH, and a special thanks to Wayne, after all he did all the initial legwork and chasing folk!

( when I say chasing folk ,I mean in a non predatorial way!)

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/22/13 04:12 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Repeating from the other thread. Thank you all op.19 participants, the playing was wonderful across the board. Just a pleasure to listen to.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rostosky
....I have mendelssohnitis in my left eye.

Lol! I think that’s what Herbert Lom in the Pink Panther movies must have suffered from . I hadn’t realised Mendelssohn caused it.

Anyway, Rossy and Wayne, a resounding hand clap (more than one!) for your sterling efforts at putting this together. If old Thatch can warrant a state funeral, I think you both should as well (but not before your time, of course!). Or perhaps just an MBE each?

This is going to be a wonderful recital and what a superb start the op.19 is. Listening to everyone’s performance knowing that each has put his/her heart into it has touched my soul. Truly moving - this upcoming week will be one to remember.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
It's here! And I will finally get to hear all of the Songs Without Words! (Even scarier: I may find more pieces to torture myself with in the future.)

Op 19 no 1, Beric: First, I'd like to say I just want .0001% of Beric's talent. Second, that is just gorgeous. First take? Incredible. This is one of my favorite pieces, and I loved what you gave it.

Op 19 no 2, RagnhildK: I've not heard this one, but I enjoyed it. It's so graceful and delicate, and it sounds to me like you've done a great job.

Op 19 no 3, Evelyn: Another new-to-me. Wow! That piece is a workout. I think if it went much faster, some of the glory would go out of it. You've chosen well. Impressive and well played!

Op 19 no 4, Beric: Again, that was just fantastic. It's such a grand piece.

Op 19 no 5, Gandalf: I don't know this one either, but I want your talent too! You took up several of these pieces, and if you played them all like this, I am going to be avocado green. It sounds flawless! I can't wait to hear more.

Op 19 no 6, Recaredo: VERY nice! You played this better than I ever played it. I told you that you were going to do just fine with this piece, and you did waaay better than that! You have obviously inherited your father's artistic talent.

What an impressive start! I'm glad I'm buried somewhere at the end grin

E
E
This is the first time I'm hearing of Mendelssohn so I have no expectations and quite honestly, I'm not musically savvy to even comment on these entries. all I can say is bravo!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Anyone can comment, feel free and welcome, its for everyone not just the participants.

OOH, and a special thanks to Wayne, after all he did all the initial legwork and chasing folk!

( when I say chasing folk ,I mean in a non predatorial way!)

It has been a pleasure smile Many thanks to all that have contributed, I'm actually speachless, this is Brill wink A massive thnx to you also Rossy, this is going to be an exellent week, love it!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Wow!! Some very nice playing all of you!!! I wish I knew the music better than I do. But your playing of these pieces was a wonderful introduction to this music!!! Very well done!!!!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Rossy and Wayne
Thank you so much.

Op 19'ners,
Good job. I only knew one piece #2 heard it recently. Ragnhildk, you've done a excellent job. Bravo to Gandalf, of course. Beric - you are awesome. Wish you were here, I could've asked you to do mine too with a moment's notice ( ok, just kidding!). Love the way you play. Evelyn - great job, like your playing
which brought up the energy within the piece. Ricardo, my hat's off to you. I love the way you played. You are very musical. It's not an easy piece. You pulled it off and aced it.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission