2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ElleC
I'm assuming there's going to be another thread for this come May 1st? Otherwise, where/who do we submit our piece to? Also, does it have to be video as well as audio or audio only will suffice?
Audio only is just fine. Some people take video of themselves playing, others make a production of some degree or another. Many just listen to the audio and skip the videos entirely, so there should be zero pressure on that aspect (or any other for that matter).

The call for submissions will look quite like this: ABF Quarterly Recital #29

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. But there's no way to reach the computer comfortably from the keyboard, and I have to wear headphones, and they not only sound crappy, they sound out of tune so I'm never sure I've even played the right notes, and it's absolutely not my favorite thing to do. And then, if I want to do it more than one session I have to move the bench and the computer chair around, and I can't get around the keyboard to get to anything. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

So I have one more weekend, but I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation. Snort.

So you may have to put up with whatever I've got.

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I ordered a Zoom H2n today from Sweetwater.com. I hope to have it figured out in time to record something to submit. I'm clearly very optimistic that I will get the hang of the thing because I downloaded Audacity tonight too!! I am determined to be able to join in on these recitals if not in May then the next one!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jotur
Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. ...

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, not sure what kind of set up you have. However, many use a portable recording device. Many on the forum have a Zoom brand device. A few have a Tascam. I use a Sony. Depending on how many features and what kind of quality a person desires, the cost might be $40 to $400 (on up if a person wants fancy). I am the low end with a used Sony voice recorder and am happy with the audio quality. A bonus is that I can use it to make field recordings.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I know, Sand Tiger, but at the minute $40 for a recording device is for someone rich smile

Thanks for the concern, tho.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Got a few more recordings today. The last one was close, very close, but a couple of very audible gaffes mean I'll have to keep going.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Sheesh! You guys are amazing. Cannot believe some of you already recorded your work. I should be doing it but have not done it yet. I will submit Bach prelude and fugue. Will start recording this week.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

May I suggest "The Secretary"? Most here have not heard it... I'm pretty sure. And I'm certain it would be well received.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yeah! I got a good take on my first try today! However, I sent it to my teacher and I am sure she can find things that I could improve. So, maybe I won't celebrate yet....

A
A
The call-for-submissions is creeping up so soon. Just mailed my tech, hopefully he has time to tune and fix my piano!

And in the meantime, I got to fix a few more issues with my recital piece laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

AimeeO - that's not cheating - it's a dedicated pianist's desire for self-improvement - now, if you submitted it to Ecco Fatto, or if you had Mendelssohn record it for you, that would be cheating (but good luck with that last one laugh )

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AimeeO

I read an article on Gramophone's website about the Berlin Phil recording the Rite of Spring:

Originally Posted by Gramophone
Like virtually all of the orchestra’s recordings under Rattle’s tenure, Rite will be released as a live recording. The process is more complicated than the name ‘Live Recording’ implies, much more than just taping the performance. They record all the performances of the concert (three, in this case), as well as the dress rehearsal (a pre-take to catch the quiet moments) and then have a patch session afterwards, if need be.

Well, if they can do that for a live recording, all bets are off for the ABF recital! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sort of begs the question as to what exactly they wouldn't consider to be "live" in that case?

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate I plan to perform Norwegian music, and it is not going to be flawlessly.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

My computer is a dying cow, otherwise ATallGuy would not have beat me to the punch in telling you that there's no way you, or anyone else, is "kicked off".

We will be delighted to hear your Norwegian submission!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
[quote=aTallGuyNH

frown [/quote]

Of course I understand that. And just to make everything clear - I don't always add a smiley when I'm joking. smile smile smile

I made a first recording of my piece just an hour ago.I hope, however,that I can do better. Next time I'll play Bach for 30 minutes before I make an attempt.

Last edited by Ganddalf; 04/24/13 04:42 PM.
I'm planning to make my first appearance on the recital stage. I bought a Zoom recorder and plan to have a version of The Non-Pareil be Scott Joplin. I have already resigned myself to the fact that there will be a few flubs.....my goal is to keep them to a minimum! My wife was listening to one of my recording and actually gave me a compliment!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission