2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I am looking a good digital piano to learn on. I was actually looking at the Yamaha P-155. Is this just too much for a beginner(I literally know nothing about music)? All opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
LPV

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I've been playing for a while and I enjoy the outdated Yamaha P85, which is definitely a few steps down from the P155. My friend who has been playing for much longer and regularly takes lessons also uses the P85, and it hasn't hurt his progress so far.

If you're serious about learning the piano, and your teacher approves of the instrument, go for the best one you can afford. The P155 is a great board (I am constantly impressed by the sound) and I think it's a very fortunate place to begin your musical journey.

Really, if it comes down to getting a nice board or a teacher, though, get the teacher. Don't waste your time developing bad habits by learning on your own! The lessons and teacher are infinitely more important than the board you choose. I'm paying for many years of falling into that trap myself, and trust me, you don't want to go down that way. Even if you only take lessons for one year, that'll be incredibly helpful.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
K
K
Originally Posted by Dwscamel
If you're serious about learning the piano, and your teacher approves of the instrument, go for the best one you can afford.

I second this. Think of it as an invest and a great way to keep you motivated. One important point IMHO to look for in a DP is its key action, a good one will help you develop fingers strength.

Regards,
Oscar

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LondonParisVenice
I am looking a good digital piano to learn on. I was actually looking at the Yamaha P-155. Is this just too much for a beginner(I literally know nothing about music)?

There are numerous options depending upon your financial options. You have selected a very nice board which will prove to be a very good choice for your first DP. Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
why not consider P105? it is possibly the best for you, not as expensive as P155 but a much better DP than P85/95.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I don't anyone will fault a P155 as a "beginner's piano". It's better than that.

The P105 has a different keyboard action -- lighter, and less "piano-like", than the P155. IMHO, of course.

. Charles

Bias -- I own a Casio PX-350. The P155 was #2 on my list.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
The P105 has a different keyboard action -- lighter, and less "piano-like", than the P155. IMHO, of course.

I agree the P105's action is lighter, but funnily enough I find it more piano-like, not less. There's more of a feeling of mechanics going on under the keys whereas P155 with GH action just feels a bit heavy and reluctant to get moving to me. P105 is a good place to start in my opinion.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks everyone!
I have been looking at the 105 as well! What about the DGX-640? Again thoughts, advice, and opinions all greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
LPV

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Have a look at loads of `em. Try playing on the black motes; whichever plays best on those - go for that! (all other things being equal of course lol they never are . . .)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Only you can know if the combination of sound, touch and and gut instinct is right!

The DGX640 isn't up to Yamaha's P series though.

Be wary! I had my heart set on the PX series, then realised I didn't much like the sound....

So I then had my heart set on a P155.

A bit of salesman spiel said why don't you try the Roland 300NX? Or the 700NX? The touch, the sound, the escapement made me cream myself.

At which the salesman directed me towards a Kawai console, with real wooden keys.

Which was soooo good.... I then looked at the price tag. Once I regained conciousness I shuffled out of the shop quietly.

Once you get a new piano though don't be trying out others! It will only make your own seem really bad in comparison it irks me the super short sustain (4-5 seconds till its just a residual buzz) isn't a patch on even the last generation of PX. And the sustain is just an on off switch.

I of course did not realise it at the time, but a year and a bit in I can tell. Which is why that P155 you fancy is highly recommended.

Now.... if only I could combine the P155 portability with the RD300NX sound and the weird casio key material (faux ivory) and the hammer action of the Kawai.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
This is what I would suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H1RG2JYCT0YP5B91YM9

Then you can stop "considering" and start playing.

Last edited by dmd; 04/21/13 11:43 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C

Which was soooo good.... I then looked at the price tag. Once I regained conciousness I shuffled out of the shop quietly.

ROFL ! And you're not the only one . . .

Digital pianos are pretty competitive. And they're not all the same. Often, spending more money will get you better sound, better action, or both.

The best you can do is pick some point on the "quality vs cost" curve, choose a piano carefully, and say:

. . . I did the best I could, with the money I wanted to spend.

And understand that, in a year, or two, the old piano might appear on Craigslist, and a new, better piano might appear in the living room.

As somebody said earlier:

. . . It's your first piano, not your last piano.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
B
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

ROFL ! And you're not the only one . . .

Digital pianos are pretty competitive. And they're not all the same. Often, spending more money will get you better sound, better action, or both.

The best you can do is pick some point on the "quality vs cost" curve, choose a piano carefully, and say:

. . . I did the best I could, with the money I wanted to spend.

And understand that, in a year, or two, the old piano might appear on Craigslist, and a new, better piano might appear in the living room.

As somebody said earlier:

. . . It's your first piano, not your last piano.

. Charles

Really good advice here. If the P-155 is in your budget, get it and enjoy playing. I really liked it, but liked some of the extra features of the PX-350 more and went that direction. It also fit the budget a bit better.

Oh yeah. The PX is nowhere near as good as my accoustic but I can play it outside and when the kids are in bed.

Bob

Last edited by BobInAZ; 04/21/13 10:57 PM.

Kawai RX-2 Blak
Casio PX-350
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
not true. in fact, P105's action feels pretty good to me, as i have both and just bought a P105 a few months ago since i couldn't take P155 with me moving away from home for a job, but i plan to sell it when i leave here.

i think Yamaha has improved its DP action quite a bit, even on low end DPs, plus the improved functionality on P105 vs. its predecessor P85/95, it's a quite good buy.

i would buy a P105 if i were a beginner, and after some years, if i would still be interested in piano playing, i would buy a high end one for a change then.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you everyone!

Right or wrong, good or bad, I got the P155. I would go thru pages and pages of ads and kept coming back to that one! I thought the same about getting the P105 first, but I still had my desire for the P155.

Again everything is appreciated,
LPV

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LondonParisVenice
Thank you everyone!

Right or wrong, good or bad, I got the P155. I would go thru pages and pages of ads and kept coming back to that one! I thought the same about getting the P105 first, but I still had my desire for the P155.

Again everything is appreciated,
LPV

Glad to hear it. The P155 is a solid device and will serve you well. Pianos last a long time so it's nice to have a good one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission