2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#2067482 04/20/13 07:01 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
OK, so ... this idea started life as my response to adultpia ist's call for kindred piano-loving spirits in and around London. And then it quickly morphed into something else entirely. I figured it deserved its own thread (sorry for hijacking yours, adultpianist!).

So, the basic idea is this: some time this summer (I'm thinking a Saturday in late July, perhaps late August?), interested ABF regulars would gather somewhere in Europe (preferably in a major and easily accessible city) to meet and greet, share their music, and generally have some good, old-fashioned face-to-face time. Food and beverages included. I'm thinking Brussels, but only because that's where I happen to live. This is definitely up for debate.

If we want to do this, we're going to need a few things:

- At least four or five interested people (but the more, the merrier). Casinitaly, SwissMS, Allard, PaperClip, Torquenale, Sinophilia, Boira, JonathonRose, Toastie, Kristina: I'm looking at you! Anyone else who thinks they could make it: you are, of course, welcome to announce your interest as well!

- A suitable venue. I'm looking right now at a piano shop, a community centre and a rehearsal studio that all have spaces with pianos for rent within a stone's throw of where I live. I'd have to hash out some of the details (price, availability, food and drink in the vicinity, size of the space, etc.), but it's looking doable.

- A date. Once we have an idea of who would like to come, we can set up a Doodle for this.

Like I said: location is up for debate. But if we decide not to have this thing in Brussels, it would be nice to do it in someone else's home town, because it will be massively easier to get all our ducks in a row that way.

If we do have it in Brussels, I can figure out what the ideal date would be, pick and book the venue, and provide people with itineraries of how and when to get there. What we do once we *are* there is up for debate as well, as far as I'm concerned. Right now I'd just like to know how many people would be interested.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Now, Brussels is a very busy city. Lancaster UK would be much better . . .and everybody speaks English there. Apart from the foreigners . . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/20/13 07:19 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by peterws
Now, Brussels is a very busy city. Lancaster UK would be much better . . .and everybody speaks English there. Apart from the foreigners . . .

OK, I see what you're doing there, Peter laugh. Maybe we should specify that the city we are doing this in should have either a high-speed train station (TGV, Thalys, Eurostar, Fyra ... Brussels has all four ;)) or an international airport. Preferably both.

P.S.: Most people in Brussels also speak English -- especially the foreigners wink.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I'm definitely interested.

I don't actually live IN Milan, but close enough that it makes no difference, and there's a highspeed train.

I've never been to Brussels, but I'm sure the language thing isn't a problem. (I've been to Belgium and managed well enough with my rusty French smile )

(I assume spouses/significant others would be welcome ?- though they might well choose to do some independent sight seeing during our music-fest!)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am very interested too. I have never been to Brussels, but would be interested in visiting. I would love to meet other AFB'ers face to face!

B
B
Originally Posted by Saranoya
Maybe we should specify that the city we are doing this in should have either a high-speed train station (TGV, Thalys, Eurostar, Fyra ... Brussels has all four ;)) or an international airport. Preferably both.

Exactly! A well connected city to facilitate access to everyone.

I better start brushing up on my rusty French laugh

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I like the idea and I don't mind traveling! Only problem is, I'm super shy blush
I don't think I can contribute much, but I love to listen to other people play!

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
OK. Rule number one is: train and plane connections required.

Rule number two: if you come, you play something. We don't care if you mess up. I know I will. But what would be the point of having a piano party if everyone's too shy to play. Right?

So. Come. Talk. Eat and drink. Get to know some wonderful people in person. And play the piano as horribly as you wish, but play. That's the idea.

Anyone want to veto the above?

By the way: spouses and arm candy welcome, of course wink. Seems only logical to me.

A
A
Brussels would be ideal, but London is okay too. I don't really have funds available to travel far. Sometime late July sounds good. Would love to meet up and get to know people. Will leave shyness at home :p

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I think we all have some degree of shyness -but everyone must play! And it isn't as though we have to be limited to one try - I picture "rounds" - maybe those who know a specific genre would play some pieces, and then a selection from a different genre?

Who knows?!

I can't imagine a better, more appreciative or more supportive audience than a group of PW friends!

Saranoya, I agree with your "rules" smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm interested, and if I survive the children's recital it would not be a problem to play for you. Of course everything should be planned carefully with my husband because in summer he works and we have children.

Ah, and my English sucks!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by torquenale
Ah, and my English sucks!

Oh, does it? Funny, I hadn't noticed that yet wink.

If it's any consolation to you: my spoken English is much worse than my written English, too. But I'm sure we'll get by.

As for the husband and/or kids: why not take them with you, and turn this into a longer trip? Since your kids play too, it might be fun to have them at the piano party!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya

As for the husband and/or kids: why not take them with you, and turn this into a longer trip? Since your kids play too, it might be fun to have them at the piano party!

We'll see when place and time will be decided what I can do!

Anyway, great ideas in this thread!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'll go! I've got a ton of frequent flyer miles built up so why not?

I'm thinking of staying with Cheryl. It shouldn't be a burden. Just me, my wife and a couple of Llamas. Possibly dog and cat too (they love to travel).

This is going to be so great. Cheryl are you excited?

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Torquenale - that would be so much fun! I imagine there will be a great mix of English, French, Italian, not to mention our own individual accents in each one!

Saranoya, I have trouble imagining your spoken English could be THAT weak, given how well you write. !

Mr. Super-Hunkey, well I did some internet reseach and see that llamas are hypo allergenic, so they can come, but the dog and cat will have to stay elsewhere as I rather enjoy breathing smile lol....

[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
All right. I said four or five. Within the space of less than twenty-four hours, we've had seven people say they were either 'very interested' (Casinitaly, SwissMS, me), or liked the idea (Allard, Sinophilia, Boira, torquenale). Mr. S-H, can we count you and your frequent flyer miles in, too? wink

Anyway. While I am by no means saying that nobody else can join in (far from it), I think we should pull the trigger on this and start to hash out some of the details.

So. As far as I can tell, we have three people from Italy (Cas, torquenale, Sinophilia), one from Switzerland (SwissMS), one from Spain (Boira), one from the Netherlands (Allard), and one from Belgium (me).

Options for 'host cities' that have been suggested are Milan, Barcelona, and Brussels. I'm assuming that in or close to each of those cities, we have someone (Casinitaly, Boira, or me) who would be willing to secure a venue if and when it came to that. If I am mistaken in that assumption, please do let me know. Since at this point, we don't seem to have anyone from or close to London, I think we can discard that as an option.

If we go by geography, it would seem that most of you are probably closer to Milan than Barcelona or (certainly) Brussels. But Barcelona is probably not too bad, either, and given the fact that Allard might not come if he has to travel too far, but nobody seems to have spoken out against Brussels as an option, I'm not ready yet to discard that, either (yes, I'm biased).

So, show of hands: how many people would *not* come if this thing was held at any one of the three proposed cities (Milan, Barcelona or Brussels), but may still come if their preferred option won out?

Please, state your preferred location in order of preference, and then we'll just tally up the votes (three for first choice, two for second, one for third).

My list:

1) Brussels (duh)
2) Barcelona
3) Milan

P.S.: You are right, Cheryl. My spoken English is probably not that bad. But it is true that I often need a few seconds to come up with the right word or grammatical construction in any given context. Since I can think faster than I can type, this is never a problem on the Internet (and if need be, there's always the delete button). In real life, though, I often pause mid-sentence, or go back and start over, when I realize halfway through a thought that I'm not expressing myself correctly. In real life, it's also much harder to 'edit' what you've said after the fact (which I definitely do, early and often, when writing here or anywhere else). Since torquenale writes very well too, but seems insecure about her spoken English, I can only assume it's like that for her, as well.

Oh, and in your list of languages, you're forgetting Dutch, which Allard and I both speak natively wink.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi,

I would like to come. It sounds interesting.

Brussels sounds good to me. Barcelona or Milan would be great too.

But for me costs are important, because I'm into a job transition. My money is put into education and right now I'm just a poor student.

So Brussels would be the best option due low travel costs. Barcelona or Milan need some calculation before saying yes. But probably not an option for me this year, sorry. Brussels at one, Barcelona at two and Milan at three (London and Paris are cities I don't like to go low budget; that would be a no).

Is a carousel something? This year Brussels, next year Barcelona, the year after Milan and so on. Sort of European tour.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=Saranoya] Mr. S-H, can we count you and your frequent flyer miles in, too? wink

Okay you busted me.

But if you guys need a venue and have some flier miles lying around the Hunky Lodge is always available.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PaperClip
I would like to come. It sounds interesting.

Awesome! So, that makes eight, then. Nice, and welcome to the club, Chris!

Originally Posted by PaperClip
Is a carousel something? This year Brussels, next year Barcelona, the year after Milan and so on. Sort of European tour.

Well, yes. That was part of the original idea. See also: the London piano party thread. But I think we should just see if we can get this off the ground and make it a success once. If we can, then anything is possible after that, as far as I'm concerned.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This sounds like it is really coming together! Brussels seems like the favored location so far, and that is doable for me. Milan is an easy train ride for me, so that works as well. This is going to be so fun! Saranoya, let us know how we can help with the organization. I like the idea of an annual event, rotating to different cities. Switzerland is sort of central, and I would be willing to host a future party.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission