2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2066952 04/19/13 07:46 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Hi all, I am planning a piano party for young children aged 5-11. I want to serve a piano key cake, and instead of a present each child is to bring a musical piece that they are working on and play it. We are going to have food and games after this - does anybody have any musical game ideas? I was thinking of passing the beat games, music trivia games, Orff improvisation/body percussion games. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Nannerl Mozart; 04/19/13 07:48 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you have a smart phone, you can download a game called Music Flash Class. It has a great "hot potato" game setting that I have played in classes with students as young as 7 and as old as 24! Seriously, they all had fun playing. I couldn't believe how the college students participated, but the kids were hilarious. So much giggling and helping each other learn at the same time.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the tip, I just downloaded it!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
T
T
Hi Nannerl Mozart! Sounds like fun smile I'd love to see how you make a piano key cake!

I just did a piano party at my studio last Saturday afternoon with a "Happy Birthday Bach" theme for around the same age group as you. We played "traditional" birthday party games, but each had a twist that allowed them to learn all about Bach and included some fun music instruction. They each played a piece for each other, learned how to give constructive feedback on a performance and basically had an absolute blast with the games and even a little craft. It lasted 1.5 and the kids were ticked to have to leave at the end of it! I know they all left having learned something.

The entire plan/printables for the "Happy Birthday Bach" piano party is on my blog - more info is here if you're interested. http://www.teachpianotoday.com/2012...ith-this-fantastic-group-piano-resource/

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You could use KitKat bars for the black keys on the cake (although they'd be brown). smile

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for your ideas! I was going to work with chocolate, temper white, milk and dark chocolate - http://eyecandy.nanakaze.net/?p=313

I've done it before with the company logo with the end of year recital cake. tdow - thanks for the link, looked like you had lots of fun!

Sounds like fun! My friend Joy has a lot of resources on piano games; Susan also has a bunch of piano resources.

It really depends on how old the kids are and what type of musical background they have. smile

Minniemay #2068149 04/21/13 05:04 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Minniemay
If you have a smart phone, you can download a game called Music Flash Class. It has a great "hot potato" game setting that I have played in classes with students as young as 7 and as old as 24! Seriously, they all had fun playing. I couldn't believe how the college students participated, but the kids were hilarious. So much giggling and helping each other learn at the same time.

Fun! What a great idea. I just watched it on youtube. I don't have a smart phone so I will either borrow hubby's or figure out a way to play the game with another type of timer. Thanks!

Piano Teacher

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission