2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
So anyone know any details about this?

http://www.socalpianos.com/

Meaning what happens to Greene? Will there be two steinway dealers in san diego?

Does a steinway gallery mean they will be owned by steinway or remain independently ownned and only carry steinway products?

Last edited by Theodore Slutz; 04/17/13 11:44 PM.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Theodore Slutz
Will there be two steinway dealers in san diego?

It will be a cold day in you know where before Steinway allows that to happen.

Does a steinway gallery mean they will be owned by steinway or remain independently ownned and only carry steinway products?

Regardless of who owns it, picking up Steinway usually means dumping other brands. There's no way Steinway would allow its pianos to be sold alongside Bosendorfer, Petrof, or Yamaha CFs.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I saw that on their website about a month or two ago.. their a huge dealer and carry top brands like bosendorfer, kawai, Yamaha, bechstein, Charles walter, and others.. I might have to give them a visit once they pick up Steinway so I can play all their pianos..

N
N
Does it make any difference that they are actually in San Marcos, about half an hour north of San Diego?

I was kind of sad when I heard this. I have gone a few times....they were always very nice.....let me play anything, even the ones that were way out of my price range.

They have a terrific selection of music books and sheet music too.

Last edited by newinstru?; 04/18/13 02:25 AM.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
In the UK there are dealers who carry Steinway and other brands, although it can be pretty difficult for them space wise, because they have to carry so many Boston and Essex pianos in order to retain the dealership. Here, Steinway Hall in London own all the Steinway and Sons pianos for sale, and pay the dealer commission on each sale. The dealer buys the Boston and Essex instruments at trade price and sells them on.

YAMAHA Artist
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beethoven986
There's no way Steinway would allow its pianos to be sold alongside Bosendorfer, Petrof, or Yamaha CFs.

What a tiresome company.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Greene Music is a Yamaha dealer now. No more Steinway.

Apparently SoCal has Yamaha and Steinway in Palm Desert store????

It is rare but it happens.

And I predict will happen more and more as time goes on and dealers close. It is becoming nearly impossible to make it with one brand in some markets I am sure.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What I was told during a visit to SoCal pianos:

SoCal will become a Steinway Gallery. They will not be owned by Steinway. As a Steinway Gallery they will carry Steinway, Boston and Essex only. They are currently liquidating their current inventory. They have some genuine deals right now, especially on wood finish Kawais, at least when I was there.

Their other stores will continue to carry the present line up of brands.

They feel this change is good for their company. They are not going out of business.

And yes, they are nice folks down there.

Gary
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Gary,

For some of us, they are going out of business. I know I'm in the minority among even the sub-set that is the piano buying public but I have no notion of the "cachet" of the Steinway name. Rather is has the opposite effect on me and I find I have zero interest in all S&S product. I'm sure So Cal Piano likes the idea of the fixed prices and generally higher gross margins on Steinway. May they do well by it. There's still plenty of piano stores for the few oddballs like me.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Kurt

I don't know...you could be missing out on some delicious Kool-Aid

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
T
OP Offline
T
Actually Greene music was a Yamaha and a Stenway dealer for years at the same time... maybe against steinway's wishes but i've been there several times and seen both there with my own eyes.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Actually Greene music was a Yamaha and a Stenway dealer for years at the same time... maybe against steinway's wishes but i've been there several times and seen both there with my own eyes.

There are dealers that carry both. Heid Music, in Appleton, for example. The problem arises when a dealer tries to carry Yamaha's concert level pianos. Multiple dealers have lost their Steinway franchise over this.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Interesting.. They have 3 locations in socal.. Will they close 2 and keep the San Marcos store? Or will all of them become steinway galleries. Fields piano in Santa Ana ( Orange County) is probably only an hour away.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
I saw that on their website about a month or two ago.. their a huge dealer and carry top brands like bosendorfer, kawai, Yamaha, bechstein, Charles walter, and others.. I might have to give them a visit once they pick up Steinway so I can play all their pianos..

If they carry Walters that will be no more. It is my understanding Steinway dealers are no longer alowed to carry Walters. There was a day when Steinway sold Walters in the Steinway Hall in New York. Then the Boston came out and that came to an end. Once the Walters introduced their grands Steinway dealers started to drop the line. frown

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
Interesting.. They have 3 locations in socal.. Will they close 2 and keep the San Marcos store? Or will all of them become steinway galleries. Fields piano in Santa Ana ( Orange County) is probably only an hour away.

The other two stores will carry the current line up, they will not close or become Steinway Galleries.

What I was told during a visit to SoCal pianos:

SoCal [in San Marcos] will become a Steinway Gallery. They will not be owned by Steinway. As a Steinway Gallery they will carry Steinway, Boston and Essex only. They are currently liquidating their current inventory. They have some genuine deals right now, especially on wood finish Kawais, at least when I was there.

Their other stores will continue to carry the present line up of brands.

They feel this change is good for their company. They are not going out of business.

And yes, they are nice folks down there.

Gary

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission