Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (alfredo capurso, barbaram, anotherscott, Andrei Kuznetsov, 36251, bennevis, 12 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2065707 - 04/16/13 08:02 PM Discovering the Hanon exercises  
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 969
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 969
NH
Thanks to the discussions on PW, I learned of the Hanon exercises. I had no exposure to them before hearing about them here. I brought up some of my technical weaknesses with my teacher today and also my worries about starting the Schubert Impromptu. Well, we're going to spend a month on technical exercises to help improve my facility at the piano. I know I'm technically weak. But, these exercises look like a lot of fun with the bonus of targeting various weaknesses. I'm looking forward to diving in!!



1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2065719 - 04/16/13 08:53 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: dynamobt]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,113
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,113
Australia
I can not get past exercise one and use it often in warm up. I feel I might join you and jump in again. I don't understand why some teachers don't like them, they can be bad for you if done to excess, but the improvement of both technical skill and confidence seems worth it.

Stop the exercises at the first sign of blood on the keys


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2065722 - 04/16/13 09:02 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 969
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 969
NH
Good advice!!!


1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2065728 - 04/16/13 09:34 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,187
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,187
New York City
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Stop the exercises at the first sign of blood on the keys

How does that happen from playing Hanon exercises?


Regards,

Polyphonist
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2065733 - 04/16/13 09:47 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: dynamobt]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,113
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,113
Australia
just joshing Polyphonist - some people consider Hanon as torture.

Now if you really want to see torture at the piano, watch these exercises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUrHr-9NiE


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2065741 - 04/16/13 10:08 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,187
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,187
New York City
Originally Posted by earlofmar
just joshing Polyphonist - some people consider Hanon as torture.

Now if you really want to see torture at the piano, watch these exercises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUrHr-9NiE

It's dangerous to teach that; beginners will try it and injure their hands. It requires a strong double note technique and good hand position to play correctly.


Regards,

Polyphonist
#2065756 - 04/16/13 10:53 PM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,379
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,379
Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Stop the exercises at the first sign of blood on the keys


laugh

My friends used to say they knew I'd been at a particular rock climbing site if there was blood on the rocks laugh

Cathy


Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
#2065928 - 04/17/13 09:39 AM Re: Discovering the Hanon exercises [Re: dynamobt]  
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,206
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014


Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,206
Rocky Mountains
Exercises ain't fun. But you do get a ton out of them.

They are something that, you should do them in a way to warm up, then do them like exercise. Then definitely do compensatory movements. I'm not sure what could be the most effective compensatory movements. I know what I know from mobility, and yoga. I will go ask and see if my Coach might come up with something smarter for compensatory movements for piano. Targeting exercises. I can't say it isn't anything I already don't know.

The compensatory movements help a ton in recovery. Gives you the ability to go back at it. Make progress much faster.


Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio GP400
by Nordomus. 09/20/17 04:56 AM
Shipping insurance from Canada to Asia
by zanarkanda. 09/20/17 12:31 AM
Voicing Lead Sheets/ Fake Books?
by MacMorrighan. 09/19/17 09:34 PM
Iconic Out of Tune Pianos
by That Guy. 09/19/17 09:08 PM
Do technicians play the piano or just work on them?
by Lakeviewsteve. 09/19/17 08:24 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics181,945
Posts2,658,880
Members88,871
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0