2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
I dunno, but here's a pretty fantastic video of Herbie Hancock playing Ravel's Piano Concerto in G.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by Derulux

And, btw, I checked out Eeco's site.. enjoyed those riffs very much. Thanks for sharing. When are you going to post your recordings for us to listen? smile

On the bottom of my posts there is a link to a free tune from my CD. The tune was a warm-up ad-lib jam in the studio, but it sounded so good we kept it for the CD.

Thanks for pointing that out.. I don't typically read people's signatures. (I think my eyes just got used to skipping them over the years of seeing the 'same thing'.) wink

That was a great jam session.. very nice! Sounded like you guys were having a lot of fun with that one. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Nikolas,

Checking in late again - I believe the LEVEL of performance has a lot to do with your subject.
CAN the jazz player learn to perform classical? If s/he is a good musician, and chooses to, then yes s/he can.
CAN the classically trained learn to improvise and play jazz? Again, with real musicianship, and with focused work, then yes.

But the problem rests in DEGREES of "good". The jazz player will need to stifle certain impulses, and surpress certain "natural" urges, to become a convincing classical player. Similarly, the classical player will need to abandon in-grained habits, and ignore some very cornerstones of her/his training, to excel in jazz.

So, maybe the correct question is, Will s/he ever become really good at a completely different genre?

Andre Previn comes immediately to mind. He is an excellent jazz pianist, and an orchestral conductor (think, Philadelphia!). By MOST mortal standards, he is wonderful at both. Yet, if one were to compare his work to THE VERY BEST in either of those diverse worlds, he comes up a little short in each. His prodigious talent lies in the fact that he can bridge both so very convincingly!

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I can think of only three pianists who were considered excellent or famous in both classical and jazz: Jarrett, Previn, and Gulda. Even among those three each was much more famous for only one type of music. I'm not sure any of them would be considered terrific in their "secondary" genre.

I find most classical pianists who improvise quite boring...even pianists like Cziffra or Katsaris. This is because I think what I would call the "classical style" improvisation doesn't work. As amazing as Cziffra or Katsaris is technically, to me their improvisations sound like a series of the same arpeggios, octaves, tremolos etc. I do very much like transcriptions by Cziffra and Katsaris because these works seem far more substantial and interesting.

Here are some Katsaris and Cziffra improvisations on YouTube. I'm curious about other posters' opinions of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIS3W-1ffGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwn0Y0wJvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4nwO7acEQ

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/16/13 03:23 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I know a couple of classically-trained pianists, fine performers they are, who teach (and play) jazz.

I think it's a hypothetical question the answer to which might also be based on interest and inclination. There may be classical pianists who, if they had the will to study jazz, could become fine jazz pianists. There may be jazz pianists who could, too, become fine classical pianists if the will to do so were a priority.

It may well be that some classical, highly-dedicated-to-their-art pianists have neither the time nor the inclination to study jazz. Does that mean that they could not become fine jazz performers?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I can think of only three pianists who were considered excellent or famous in both classical and jazz: Jarrett, Previn, and Gulda. Even among those three each was much more famous for only one type of music. I'm not sure any of them would be considered terrific in their "secondary" genre.

I find most classical pianists who improvise quite boring...even pianists like Cziffra or Katsaris. This is because I think what I would call the "classical style" improvisation doesn't work. As amazing as Cziffra or Katsaris is technically, to me their improvisations sound like a series of the same arpeggios, octaves, tremolos etc. I do very much like transcriptions by Cziffra and Katsaris because these works seem far more substantial and interesting.

Here are some Katsaris and Cziffra improvisations on YouTube. I'm curious about other posters' opinions of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIS3W-1ffGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwn0Y0wJvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4nwO7acEQ

The last was the most tolerable. I've heard the Cziffra before, and really couldn't stand it.

Best part of the 3rd video: 1:10-1:13. hahaha laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88

And, btw, I checked out Eeco's site.. enjoyed those riffs very much. Thanks for sharing. When are you going to post your recordings for us to listen? smile

On the bottom of my posts there is a link to a free tune from my CD. The tune was a warm-up ad-lib jam in the studio, but it sounded so good we kept it for the CD.

Thanks for pointing that out.. I don't typically read people's signatures. (I think my eyes just got used to skipping them over the years of seeing the 'same thing'.) wink

That was a great jam session.. very nice! Sounded like you guys were having a lot of fun with that one. smile

Thanks! Yes, we had fun!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission