2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
S
Last recital I tried to cram out a piece at the last moment --- failed miserably. Did not contribute.
I find that last 10% of finishing a piece is a killer.
This time I hope to succeed. Maybe Villa Lobos, A Lenda Do Caboclo; or Scarlatti K380.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Wonderful! Now, can anyone give me the exact French pronunciation of Misérables?

I wouldn't call this exact, and not solely because I can't convey a French "R" but "lay mee-zay-RAH-bluh" is my inept representation of it.

Originally Posted by casinitaly

https://www.box.com/s/ktmkc0n0quza8sxy6e5y

Interesting anecdote from the Civil War!

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Last recital I had to pull a last minute cram session in order to submit the tune I really wanted too even though the piece wasn't totally ready. [Yes, once again, I 'peaked' after the recital].

Anyway, I thought to get a head start on this recital and started practicing my new piece right away.

New problem: I 'peaked' about a week ago and am now so sick of playing the piece over and over that I just cannot put the emotional input into it that it deserves. Fortunately, I work on several tunes at any given time but timing the 'peak' is still difficult for me to do.

This seems to be the case because I have yet to figure out how many cycles I can perform a piece before I get sick of it. This is not a joke as I am serious.

I have the ability to take a newly discovered melody and learn it to the point where it gives me goosebumps. [Really, I'm very sensitive]. But after playing the piece over and over, I notice an inverse relationship occurring in that as I get better at playing the piece I also start becoming jaded with it.

I think this occurrence happens because the original 'stimulant' of the melody stats becoming a little diluted over time.

So, now I'm at the point where I either need to forget about the piece I learned and hope to rediscover it again in a few weeks so I can put the emotion back into the piece...[cuz I can't fake it], or I need to start cramming once again in order to have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Vicious cycle I'm telling you!

Just record regularly! Go back one recording when you hit the 1st jaded one? smile

This is a good suggestion and would, or could work but in order for that to happen I would need to record every session whether it is on the digital or the acoustic piano and I just am too lazy to do that. But I'm not a slacker. It's just that I always feel that I can play a piece even better if I practice it more so I usually never record myself unless I am about to run out of time for the recital submission date. It is that date that ultimately forces me to make a recording.

The problem is when I actually do make the recording, I find that I either could have benefited by spending even more time practicing the piece,....or,... the 'sweet spot' of my abilities to perform the piece has come and gone. I find getting it back IS doable but is so much easier if some time has gone by. ...And, if some time has gone by before I try and perform it again, it won't be the same because I will end up playing it differently anyway which in turn makes it into an entirely new piece once again.

I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by earlofmar
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Link fixed.

Greg
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

I suggest looking up the gentleman who initiated all this quarterly torment, and give him a piece of your mind.

Last edited by aTallGuyNH; 04/15/13 10:13 PM. Reason: Removed smiley... I think it's actually funnier that way.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Haha, your right TallGuy. A labor of love or self imposed stress? Sometimes that line can get a bit blurred.

In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

Which of course leads back to the beginning of the vicious cycle.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

How true!
Sometimes I find that I get one recording that is "note perfect" but it doesn't have the "zing", or the "heart". 2 or 3 times now, I've used a less "perfect" (I use the term loosely!) recording for one that has the right energy.

Maybe a week or so of time off from your piece will allow you to go back to it with renewed energy and heart?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
My coming piece was already recorded shortly after the previous recital. Maybe I can still improve on it but that will always be the case :-/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

A
A
I've missed the last two recitals so I'm hoping to make this one:)
Ive been working on hungary rhapsodie by carl koelling. Hopefully it will be ready by time the recital comes around. I imagine it will be since I have play it for my final exam; well at least half of it:)... Let me just say. I'm starting to really dislike this peace! I've been working on it since January and still haven't gotten to the end of the piece. I can't wait until its finished!:) This class has been rewarding though:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

Originally Posted by keystring
Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by keystring

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

smile Yes, quite possibly lol.

It took MUCH longer to save, format as mp3, upload, and post about than it did to record! (not that it took a long time, but the difference was amusing. )

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

smile

Ah, but they do have a bouncer - his name is Greg... eek

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

Looking forward to hearing yours too...

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
TJ - oh yeah smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission