2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
This is a theoretical question...not one that would normally occur in reality. Given the way you play right now if you were given a choice between only improving your technique or only improving your musicality which would you choose and why?

Twenty five years ago I remember thinking that I would choose technique. My reasoning was that even though I understood my understanding of music was not so high when I played I wasn't so aware of what I didn't understand. In other words one could argue that in the area of musicality "ignorance is bliss". OTOH if one can't play the notes of piece up to tempo(some technical weakness), it is far more obvious.

At this point in my life I would probably choose musicality. Perhaps because of the availability of YouTube I've become more interested in being able to understand what the best pianists are doing musically that makes their playing of even less technically demanding pieces so much better than mine.

Which would you choose and why?

M
M
I would choose technique, because I find that to be more limiting to me right now than my musicality.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Musicality, without a doubt. I have been told all my life that my playing is extraordinarily musical, but when I listen to other performers, I am amazed and moved by the fresh and varied interpretations I hear and wonder, "Where did they come with that?"

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I always understood "musicality" to be the ability to play musically, and was limited from full expression by limited technique.

So to me, at least how I understand it, an improvement in musicality would automatically include a corresponding improvement in technique.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by rocket88

I always assumed that "musicality" i.e. the ability to play musically, was limited from full expression by limited technique.

So to me, at least how I understand it, an improvement in musicality would automatically include a corresponding improvement in technique.
I'm using musicality perhpas slightly differently i.e. to mean one's understanding of music...what one wants to be able to do with the music. It's definitely true that in practice one's technique can limit the expression of that musical understanding, which is why most would choose improvement in both areas if they were given that choice.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I thought that might be what you meant. Thanks.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
I think this is an interesting question, but in reality it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to bring one to a very high level without the other tagging along also, as they both involve a similar improvement process: experimentation, analysis, and diligence. The first two have a somewhat fluid ordering: one could experiment freely with different musical or technical ideas and then analyze what makes each idea more or less useful, or one might start by analyzing what you currently are doing musically or technically and then experiment with various approaches. I suppose that analysis (which can be objective and qualitative or intuitive) will always be the last step before getting waist-deep in the work, but the beginning of the improvement process can begin with either analysis or experimentation.

All this is purely theoretical, I suppose: if one is less inclined to work on technical problems, then it will not develop at the same rate as one's musical toolbox. At the same time, however, one's ability to improve these two bedfellows will improve at the same rate regardless of which you work on - it is merely your choice of which to refine that determines which will improve the most. Additionally, some musical questions can be answered with skills from our technical toolbox, and vice versa (a particular gesture requiring zip and sparkle for musical effect might be improved by "throwing" the wrist; a difficult leap might be made more technically feasible through a musically effective use of "reaching" rubato).

M
M
For me it's difficult to imagine really being able to do exactly what you want musically without the technique to be able to do it. It seems to me that they are destined to be intertwined and it's not really possible to develop musicality without technique? Though perhaps it's possible to develop "technique" without musicality (if by "technique" we only mean being able to play so-and-so passage or arpeggio or whatever at a mechanical 180bpm).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Technique. To make the music, you must have the technique to do it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I would choose technique, because I find that to be more limiting to me right now than my musicality.
Yes, technique. My teacher is now helping me develop my own musicality and I'm having so much fun, I'm happy to keep working on it. Second wish would be: fingers that are only slightly longer.

Best regards,

Deborah
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Any automaton can play the piano. Midi files are goods examples of just that. Any one can learn the technique to play 90% of the piano music written, as fast as they want to, given enough time to practice. Musicality doesn't tag along with technique. Some of the greatest musicians can play a simple Haydn piano sonata in a manner that will bring tears to the eyes. All they needed to do that was a very low level of technique. Most other piano players will never play that simple Haydn sonata as musically, no matter how much technique they develop over a lifetime of practice.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Technique, fer sure. Nothing more frustrating than trying to pour your soul into the music, but being distracted by fumbly fingers. (Thank you, Czerny, for helping me play Chopin's nocturnes!)

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by rocket88

I always assumed that "musicality" i.e. the ability to play musically, was limited from full expression by limited technique.

I'm using musicality perhpas slightly differently i.e. to mean one's understanding of music...what one wants to be able to do with the music. It's definitely true that in practice one's technique can limit the expression of that musical understanding, which is why most would choose improvement in both areas if they were given that choice.

I think, in this light, if I were going for composition, I might select musicality. But I'm pretty sure every performer will pick technique.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Obviously, I am in the minority. Not unusual for me. Most of you seem to look at learning technique as if it was akin to learning to colour inside the lines. Once you have achieved that goal, you can now be an artist.

Most of us learn to write in our native language with considerable technical proficiency, to the extent, for example, of publishing peer reviewed papers. We have developed sufficient technique to handle the most difficult grammatical conundrums. The better among us learn just when and where to place the all important comma, in order to further elucidate our point. Yet, how many of us are renowned authors whose books will be read throughout the world for hundreds of years?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mwm
Obviously, I am in the minority. Not unusual for me. Most of you seem to look at learning technique as if it was akin to learning to colour inside the lines. Once you have achieved that goal, you can now be an artist.

Most of us learn to write in our native language with considerable technical proficiency, to the extent, for example, of publishing peer reviewed papers. We have developed sufficient technique to handle the most difficult grammatical conundrums. The better among us learn just when and where to place the all important comma, in order to further elucidate our point. Yet, how many of us are renowned authors whose books will be read throughout the world for hundreds of years?

That, unfortunately, is more a matter of luck than skill. There are many fabulous writers who will never be published in the first place, much like many outstanding pianists will never play a major concert venue.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Easily, technique. It is a crushing fact that I'll probably never unlearn all of my bad habits, no matter how many teachers I study with, to play pieces I'm really passionate about like Rachmaninoff's etude op.39 no.5 in e-flat minor or Scriabin's third piano sonata in f-sharp minor.

Besides, I think even the driest technical playing can't help but be a little musical. After all, the reason technique is important is that it enables us to make varied, interesting, complicated sounds on the piano: polyphonic, interlocking Rachmaninoff textures require good technique. They also sound very different from simple one-note melodies of Yann Tiersen. So, many of the rich sounds that technique enables on the piano form a subset of musicality, but musicality doesn't necessarily require huge technique.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think the original question posits a false dichotomy, and even considering it reinforces some unhelpful views on the relationship between technique and musicality.

-J

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by beet31425
I think the original question posits a false dichotomy, and even considering it reinforces some unhelpful views on the relationship between technique and musicality.

-J

That was my first thought, but upon deeper reflection, I understood the possibility that one of the two may advance more quickly than the other. Of course, in that case, it might be equally ponderous to ask which of the two one feels they have mastered better. In that case, we can get a pretty good idea of which answer they would provide.

Easy. Musicality. 100% Final answer. Next question plz...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Easy. Musicality. 100% Final answer. Next question plz...

Which you are able to achieve without technique? I suspect that you started to learn to play the piano in childhood and probably had some good teachers along the way. Put yourself in the shoes of any musical person who does not have the ability to control loud and soft, articulations, and other things you have in your fingertips, because they never learned. How musical will it sound? I think that maybe "technique" should be defined, because I have a feeling different things are being imagined by different people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission