2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 540 1 2 3 4 539 540
My biggest accomplishment this week is finding this forum!

Playing....well.....Ugh!

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
Originally Posted by Cobra1365
My biggest accomplishment this week is finding this forum!

Playing....well.....Ugh!

Don't worry, the week isn't over yet!

And I personally find this forum to be very helpful. Aside from having a place to answer any question I might have (Besides my teacher, who I only get to see once a week), it is also very motivating to stick around here and read about the ups and downs other beginners are going through!

Welcome to Piano World, let's hope you'll make yourself proud this week and get to make another post in here!

P.S.
On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed I end pretty much every sentence on my PW posts with an exclamation mark, something which I otherwise don't do.
Says a thing about how enthusiastic I am about finding this forum, let's hope your experience here will be similar! wink

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played "Alexander's Ragtime Band" (the Alfred 2 version) through without a mistake. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I finally got the first 2 (of 4) pages of Bach's fugue in G# minor (WTC Book 2) going smoothly and up to tempo this week. I also finally ironed out the glitches in the prelude and it's up to 88 bpm. I'm very pleased with myself and I can't wait to get home from my paying job so I can get to work on page 3!

Best regards,

Deborah
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I fired my music teacher. I'm FREE!!!

(Have finally come to the conclusion that being The Lone Pianist suits me and that I've got quite sufficient learnin' for an old hillbilly with a 70 year old Kurtzmann and no prospects)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ha Frycek, that's the spirit! grin

OK, the week started off slowly. I've been bogged down with too many pieces, and where many of the pieces are a bit out of my range. Challenging, difficult, and somewhat frustrating at times.

So I had the bright idea of starting a new piece last night (another one! eek ) . An easier one, and I'm glad I did.

Burgmueller's "Ballade" (Op. 100, No 15). Made awesome progress on it the last two nights, and it's very fun to play (and fun to play around with). Also, I didn't cheat by writing note names on the sheet and forced myself to actually read the staff. grin (luckily this one's fairly easy to memorize grin )

What a great ending to the week! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I am enjoying reading about what everyone is playing and noting the strategies people are using to get over little humps!

I've been working at writing out the second piece I'm currently learning (AIR in D minor) - it isn't too long, but for some reason I find it MUCH harder (to write) than the other one I did.

Today I was looking for patterns or repetitions, something to latch on to to help me recall the progressions from measure to measure - and I noticed the patterns of D A F ----- such a simple thing, but it was a conscious "Hello - we're the notes of the Dm chord luv!" I felt delighted and silly all at the same time.

I'm still not playing it very smoothly, but it is starting to settle into the old memory cells.

(I can tell I've been playing it a lot, my husband was singing it in the kitchen last night while we did the dishes! )

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, my whole house is humming "The Entertainer" now. Except, it is a VERY VERY VERY slow version (it is the only way I can play it!) Perhaps when the children get home from school today I should play them the real version so they know how it ought to sound

Christine

[Linked Image]
Haha, same here. I constantly hear everyone whistling or humming the theme to Tchaikovsky's 1812 ouverture, or the minuet in G.

I really should practise 1812 more, so that they can hum more than just the first 2 bars. (Yeah, I didn't really get far on that one yet. :D)

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex
Haha, same here. I constantly hear everyone whistling or humming the theme to Tchaikovsky's 1812 ouverture, or the minuet in G.

I really should practise 1812 more, so that they can hum more than just the first 2 bars. (Yeah, I didn't really get far on that one yet. :D)

Be careful - you never know what they'll do when they hit the cannon parts!!!!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My biggest accomplishment this week was my first voice lesson!!! I'm not a singer (can't carry a tune in a bucket as they say) but I decided that learning to sing may improve my listening skills and help prepare me for the aural part of my piano exam (which I decided to do NEXT spring....rather than this summer)

I was VERY apprehensive and very pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was and how HARD it is to breathe!! My teacher didn't laugh (out loud anyway!!) and I'm looking forward to my next lesson in two weeks.

I haven't had a piano lesson in a couple of weeks as my teacher is away so I'm looking forward also to hopefully showing at least a little progress with my new pieces next week... of course that's when I tend to flub more than usual....sigh, sigh.....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
(I can tell I've been playing it a lot, my husband was singing it in the kitchen last night while we did the dishes! )

Wonderful!
I've been struggling for a while with voicing, trying to bring the melody out in a piece I'm working on. Well, when I was playing it the other night, my 5-year-old grandson started humming the melody. I think I might be getting close!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
E
E
Hmm.
I had my first piano lesson in about ten years today, does that count?
I also realised that the keyboard (ugh) I am using at the minute has a sustain option, although it is no-where near as good as a pedal, which has made Moonlight Sonata sound so much better.
Also, I am at least 1/3rd of the way through the aforementioned sonata.
Finally, I have also started learning to properly read music, instead of just playing by ear and memory.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
F
F
Well, I got that pallet of fieldstone unloaded - a little over two tons worth. Now my wrist hurts, but at least I have some time to practice.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One more thing to add to my achievement of the week: Not really spectacular, but I sat down tonight and prioritized the 7 pieces I've been working on, so at least now I have some direction. Much better than wandering around like a blindfolded howler monkey. smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like everyone has something to be satisfied with indeed!

I love the idea of voice lessons. I notice that I can now sing the music I'm reading fairly accurately rather than just read it in my head, which is very cool. I'd love to take voice lessons, but at the moment it isn't a possibility.

First lessons, prioritizing, tons of physical labour! (did you sing while moving the rocks FF?), mini accomplishments - THREE CHEERS FOR ALL OF US!

[Linked Image]

S
S
My big achievement this week was to learn how to turn a wav file into an MP3 file with "new to me" software. Thanks to a very patient friend!! Since I am not very computer savy this was a big deal to me since this is important for posting my music on this site and doing some other things I want.

AK

My biggest achievement has to be learning to play 'Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed' at speed with the original track, such good fun with some nice jazzy parts laugh

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Current Keyboards: Yamaha PSS-560 & M-Audio Keystation 61es
Autodidact Since: 17/03/10

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AlleyKatt
My big achievement this week was to learn how to turn a wav file into an MP3 file with "new to me" software.
AK

I had to learn that too!

Originally Posted by the.grey.squirrel
My biggest achievement has to be learning to play 'Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed' at speed with the original track, such good fun with some nice jazzy parts laugh

What fun! "at speed" is a concept I am still struggling with for most of my work! smile

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/16/10 05:07 AM.

[Linked Image]

O
O
I'm working on Burgmuller's Opus 100, nr 14 and 15 (Styrian dance and Ballade). Finally getting the left hand reasonably synchronized to the right in Ballade, and I'm starting to get some feel for Styrian Dance.

That Styrian Dance is my biggest achievement: those little jumps start to land correctly, pedaling begins to sound sort of ok, and tempo is not extremely slow anymore. Feels awesome! smile

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009
Page 2 of 540 1 2 3 4 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission