2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Berto, achoo42, baronzo, Emily2Lame, AlkansBookcase, emenelton, ee375, astrotoy, 12 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
For many years I played keyboards and had quite a collection over the years. But due to pain in my hands (RSI) and preparing for moving, I sold all my synths, and over the past 4 years have focused on playing guitar. But now I'm wanted to get back into it; the pain is gone and I've been in a new house for a couple years.

My last primary keyboard was a Korg Oasys 88. It was a great synth, but the keyboard action was so-so as were the piano sounds. This time around I want to focus more on piano, so the keyboard action and piano sounds are important, so a digital piano seems to be the best choice - but I'm disappointed to be losing so many other sounds that are available in the typical ROMpler/workstation. I'm not looking for deep synthesis capabilities or sequencing, but it would be nice to have a wide variety of sounds to use.

That leads me to wonder, are there any ROMpler/workstations with a quality weighted keyboard and piano sound? From the research I've done, the nice workstations all lack the high-end weighted keyboards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I rarely say this because I hate carrying computers and worrying about the drama associated with them in general, but have you looked in to software? Just connect it up to the DP of your choice -- but preferably one with good controller functions such as wheels, sliders, cc pedal input, aftertouch, etc. Yeah, that may be hard to find, but Yamaha may be a good brand to look at. By then, you'd might as well get a synth but that pianistic action is going to be hard to find in a workstation package. Yamaha's Balanced Hammer is close enough for me, but may not be for you. Beyond that, you've got the Roland RD's which have 'lite' synth functions. The Kurzweil PC3 series is good, but again, the action may not work for you. Korg Kronos, maybe?

Good luck -- I'm like you in that I love the hardware. Everything is designed to work together out of the box and has its own 'signature' sound.

Les C Deal

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the feedback. I previously searched for software that provided the versatility of a workstation with a wide variety of sounds and synthesis but nothing existed; I looked again last night, and there still doesn't seem to be anything. And as you mentioned, I like how in a hardware synth, everything is designed to work together and is easy to use.

It's been a while since I tried all the latest workstations; I guess it's time for a trip to Guitar Center. In terms of the sound engines, Korg seems in the lead at moment; the latest Motif and Fantom are in need for an update.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MarkF786
the keyboard action and piano sounds are important, so a digital piano seems to be the best choice - but I'm disappointed to be losing so many other sounds that are available in the typical ROMpler/workstation. I'm not looking for deep synthesis capabilities or sequencing, but it would be nice to have a wide variety of sounds to use.

Maybe a Yamaha CP5 or Roland RD-700NX?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I guess I`m looking for the similar thing; a piano with decent voices/synths/drums which are better controllable than what I have. My DGS is very good. But a bit limited - can`t record drum styles on the piano. Can`t switch the Leslie slow/fast; can`t vary the volume on the organ sounds . . Great otherwise. I`ll have to record on the computer. Damn . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you looked at the Yamaha MOX8?

P
P
I don't recommend the MOx8. I have one. Good synth, but awful keybed. GHS is not good at all for pianists. I think the best option is a good controller with a good keybed (i can only think of VPC1) plus a 61 version of any good workstation. If I could, i would do something like that.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Majoring in Piano at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education Major at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo
P-515, P140 and DGX-670
Previously: Rönisch Upright, MOX8.
M
M
I had the same situation
and chose Yamaha mox6 + Yamaha CVP 503

MOX6 + P-155 is good combination.

or you can replace MOX6 with MOtif XF6 or Kronos 61 depending upon your taste.
Then you have both action, synth+DP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is why I love this place - differect ways
of thinking make me.... THINK!

This is something to think about...

I look at the Motif XF8 - 88 key for $3599
and the Motif XF6 - 61 key for $2499...

That leaves 1099 left for a nice controler -

So you can have a nice DP AND and Workstation for the
Same price.. unless you don't want the extras...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Selling due to guilt?
by musiclover2023 - 04/23/24 09:43 PM
Disagreeing with teacher
by Mikester - 04/23/24 07:29 PM
Keyscape Midi Learning Issue
by markmasefield - 04/23/24 06:30 PM
La foule, key
by hast66 - 04/23/24 01:17 PM
RCM Assessment
by mspianoteacher - 04/23/24 12:55 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,474
Posts3,350,539
Members111,692
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission