2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
For what it's worth, walking 10ths in the left hand are pretty common in the jazz world. I can't play some without rolling, but not all.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I am a beginner at 64. I can do an octave and I think I am too old to stretch without breaking something. But as a beginner, I don't know what a roll is. What is rolling when you refer to an octave reach?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael_99
I am a beginner at 64. I can do an octave and I think I am too old to stretch without breaking something. But as a beginner, I don't know what a roll is. What is rolling when you refer to an octave reach?

Michael -

A roll is when you quickly play the notes of the chord from the bottom up - without actually striking all the notes at the same time. Many folks use this approach when playing intervals larger than an octave.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
First of all, 64 is not old and you are never too old to increase your reach. Just be gentle, relaxed and slow about it. When you roll a chord, it's like playing an arpeggio or broken chord. You play the lowest note, then the next lowest, etc. So, if you were rolling an octave, you would play the low note followed immediately by the high note.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can reach an octave with my right and a 9th with my left. When I first returned to the piano at 65, I could barely reach an octave with my right hand and it was very uncomfortable. It can get better with practice. I am now playing chords that I had to either roll or leave the bottom note of the octave out.
Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm very lucky to have large hands for a woman. I can reach a 10th in both hands.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
gooddog, I have read your post, here:

First of all, 64 is not old and you are never too
old to increase your reach. Just be gentle, relaxed and slow about it. When you roll a chord, it's like playing an arpeggio or broken chord. You play the lowest note, then the next lowest, etc. So, if you were rolling an octave, you would play the low note followed immediately by the high note.

Deborah, too, funny.

You see, I have been stressing and fussing over John Thompson's piano Book 1, page 30, The fairies' Harp where I have to read and play broken chords written as sounding together. I have finally got the piece under my fingers but it has taken a while.

AS a beginner it is nice to learn the lingo. I may not play better, but I will sound better when I talk at coffee.

age is relative to age. If you are 10, 30 is old, and if you are 80, 65 is young. I like the feedback that those that are 65, can stretch without breaking something.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like the feedback that those that are 65, can stretch without breaking something.
Ack! I'm not 65...yet...but close. I'm actually amazed at my hand and arm strength, the growth of my span, the wellness of my finger joints and increase in my skills since I re-started lessons 8 years ago. I'm trying to get my family to promise to shoot me when I get too old to play the piano. I can't get them to agree. crazy

Best regards,

Deborah
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I am fortunate in that I can span a 10th with both hands (easier with the left), and believe me it comes in handy as an organist, particularly -though not confined to- in playing Franck's murderous works.

Otherwise, I can take the opening of Rachmaninov 2 without breaking, but just barely -the second chord in the right hand is dodgy- though I would not do so in performance.

Jason
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I am also 64 years old with arthritis in my right hand and especially the fingers, so large spans are not easy. To make it worse, I have small hands and bad technique. My best reach is for the aspirin bottle or a cup of coffee, but when warmed up, I can reach a 9th in a major key.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
A 9th. But I suck at small passage work and am way better at large chords. Strange.

Same here. Although a few months ago, my hands grew again, so now I can reach tenths semi-comfortably! Weird..

M
M
I can reach a ninth in both without trouble, and in my left hand I can reach a tenth (barely). Not sure if my hands are different sizes or my left hand has just gotten more flexible or what. I am a lady. My fingers are super long, which I think doesn't particularly come in handy. My palms/handspan isn't particularly long if you measure across, though compared to other women I suppose it's on the bigger side.

I was sort of curious about my hand physiology and I looked on some human body charts that said my hand size is apparently in the 90th percentile for women. I have very big feet too (11 US) so maybe it's related.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW, for starters, I don't think it's right that Chopin "could barely manage a 9th." smile

What I've read is that his hands looked small, and perhaps were sort of small, but stretched wide, and so he had a pretty wide reach.

Maybe not like you grin but I'd bet my bippy it was more than a 9th.

Chopin's hands really were small for a guy, but very flexible. I've got a cast of his hand and it's the same size as mine except for the fifth finger. I've got an unusually short one, Chopin's was unusually long. I've got a solid nine and an "ify" ten. Chopin should've had a solid ten. That extra long fifth finger would've made all the difference. This would've been with the fingers spread at a 180 degree angle, his hands open like the "jaws of a snake" as one of his fans described.

Chopin once enviously wrote about another pianist -I think it was Thalberg- "He can take a ten the way I take an eight." Apparently meaning without having to get in touch with his inner anaconda.

One of Chopn's pupils also noted the he frequently rolled chords and did so so skillfully that you'd never know he'd done it.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by outo
Left hand a comfortable octave, right hand a very uncomfortable octave. Have had some progress with that but not enough. Can play slow octaves but have to forget about any fast ones... frown

I have to correct myself...yesterday I noticed that I can play a 9th with my left without too much trouble! Don't even know when this happened.

Not that it matters much, I never need it, it's the lack of span in the right hand that gives me problems...But it proves that one can still grow when over 40 grin

T
T
I can play a 10th comfortably, but I can't reach an 11th.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Comfortable tenths in both hands personally, great webbing between thumbs and second fingers, but every time this topic resurfaces I note to the forum that Ashkenazy supposedly could only reach an octave, so that narrows down the excuses for the rest of us mortals!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Michael 99 and Chopinlover49, I can relate to everything you've both said and you crack me up!! grin grin

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
A ninth in both hands.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
11th both hands, never needed though, it's more about spreading/stretching than just flat-out big chords, they hardly occur, only by clumsy composers.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I practiced Chopin 10/1 by playing quarter note chords up and down the piano CGCE, CACF, and so on.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission