Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (apianostudent, 5penguins, astrotoy, Aimer, anotherscott, ando, Animisha, 29 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? #2063348
04/12/13 08:38 AM
04/12/13 08:38 AM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
The reason I ask the question is that when I press any key hard, but let me say as an example middle C, that when, as I said I press the key hard, of course, the key sounds loud, but counting everytime immediately from 1 to 8 representing a 4/4 2 measure count of time, the key or note fades by time I get to 6 or 7 and not the count of 8. Lot of pieces have a tie symbol over 2 measures of music in 4/4. The question is whether there is an adjustment for the sustain length for the notes as played on expensive digital piano. That is the only frustration I have on my digital pianos, a Clavanova and Yam keyboard with weighted keys. and love them otherwise. The sustain pedal, of course, is completely different because it sustains everything that is ever played after the pedal is pressed as opposed to an isolated note or chord played normally.

Last edited by Michael_99; 04/12/13 08:40 AM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063349
04/12/13 08:40 AM
04/12/13 08:40 AM
Holmes Chapel
J
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member
justpin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Holmes Chapel
Do you mean the middle pedal? Which only sustains the notes/chords, played instead of all of them?

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: justpin] #2063359
04/12/13 08:56 AM
04/12/13 08:56 AM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
Well, my Clavanova only has 2 foot pedals and the Yam keyboard has 2 1 foot pedal that does the sustain.

But the issue is not the foot pedal at all. It is an issue that if you have an acoustic piano, the sustaining of a note is very long and awesome, as I say just press any key on any acoustic piano the notes lasts a very long time because it is an acoustic piano. My problem is that I love my two digital pianos but when I press a key on a digital piano and count from 1 to 8, time of a note or chord played over two measures in 4/4/ held by a tie symbol, my count of time is short because I only ever get to the count of 6 or 7. If you are playing the piano (digital) and you play a piece to the count or tie of two measure, you have lost the sound of the note or chord played because it has faded 1 or 2 seconds short of the time needed, if you will.

I hope you are understanding my post, and if not please explain what you do not understand. Thank you.

I just reread your post and you mentioned there is a foot pedal that sustains a single note, which is quite funny because I am only a beginner and only ever play any piano without the pedals because I haven't learned them yet, and secondly, I only use the piano keys/notes pressed hard or soft to get the sounds of the notes I like but again this not a pedal issue regardless of how many pedals any piano has, it is the issue of the length of any sustain of a note on any digital piano and in this case the issue in question is the sustain length of time when pressing a key on a digital piano and how long any digital piano will or will not sustain a note for the length of time of the count of two measures of time in a 4/4 2 measures held by a tie. Hope everyone or at least one person understands my post and could politely answer. Or please explain to me why I seem more crazy than I already know I am. Thank you.

Last edited by Michael_99; 04/12/13 09:14 AM.
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063363
04/12/13 09:06 AM
04/12/13 09:06 AM
Italy
P
Paolo70 Offline
Paolo70  Offline
P

Italy
Hi Michael,

I am prettys sure some digital pianos expose user parameters for fine-tuning the decay time. However it is not the case for my Clavinova.

I would for example expect Roland's SuperNatural pianos to allow that, since the decay is synthesized on those pianos.

I am also sure some SW pianos, like Pianoteq, allow fine-tuning the decay time.

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063364
04/12/13 09:09 AM
04/12/13 09:09 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

The only thing that made your first post confusing was at the end, where you added the part about the sustain pedal being "completely different" -- the maximum length of the sustain should be identical, regardless of whether you keep the key depressed with your finger OR press the pedal. Assuming that was a red herring, then, the issue is that, indeed, on many DPs, held (or pedaled) notes don't sustain for as long as they do on many real pianos, or the sustain gets too quiet too soon. (And to be more precise, although we call it a "sustain" pedal, we're actually talking about the "decay.") This is generally not adjustable, though there are exceptions, like the modeled Roland V-Piano.

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063365
04/12/13 09:18 AM
04/12/13 09:18 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai CA95/CA65, CS10/CS7, MP10/MP6 all allow the decay time of a sound to be adjusted.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Kawai James] #2063368
04/12/13 09:23 AM
04/12/13 09:23 AM
Germany
M
MagicK Offline
MagicK  Offline
M

Germany
And, like in the other thread where you said exactly the same, still nobody knows how fast or slow you count.

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Paolo70] #2063373
04/12/13 09:33 AM
04/12/13 09:33 AM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
Yes, thank you very much for answering. My clavanova is 20 or more than years old so everything has changed and I understand that. And my Yam digital keyboard is very new, a P 95, for 600 dollars Canadian so I would not expect a cheap digital weighted keys keyboard to have an adjustable sustain and only have basic stuff.

And we all know there are digital pianos that cost 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and up thousands of dollars and I wondered if such digital pianos are that awesome and it sounds like that is what you are saying which is good news.

I also play an acoustic piano but I don't have big dollars for the top of the line digital but in the end just playing any piano is awesome. It is great to play any piano in any condition but better if it is in good condition to play.

Well, reviewing the posts, I add that I am an old man 64. I am a beginner piano player. I play little piano pieces. I am not a young rocker, I am a beginner and as beginners we play slowly and accurately. I was giving the count of an average piece of music like Happy Birthday, or whatever.
I use to play a sax for 4 or 5 years and had a professional teacher and played in a blues band , jazz band , a sax quartet and two concert bands and when I raised the question that experience was used. So yes, the count of 8 could be anything but nobody said or ever replied that any digital they play was a count of 8, 10, 40, 100 or anything - just that my count could be anytime. It sounded like a young man speaking to an old man. I love my digital. I wish they were lighter and were battery operated, which will in time be like the computer, laptops, etc and I can take my digital to a coffee bar and drink and play the piano all day with headphones, or at the library or the university or anywhere you can sit, stand or play on your back on the floor with the keyboard tilted. That is how awesome digitals are for 600 dollars and dropping in price. When I was in the hospital for 5 months I took a keyboard and the hospital said they had lots of laptops but nobody every brought a keyboard/piano. See how much this old man loves digitals regardless of the sustain of 8 the digital has.
cheers.

And replying to the part about the sustain confusion above - I am old and only know old language so I don't use the word decay but I understand the word. I never think of an acoustic piano that has a sound that is decaying. Notes in music to my understanding are played and the note can be heard for a certain time that is average and then could be sustained by a pedal.

Electronically, I could see the word decay being used though.

Last edited by Michael_99; 04/12/13 10:13 AM.
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063402
04/12/13 10:31 AM
04/12/13 10:31 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Let's use seconds. If I press middle C quite hard on my DP, sort of pp, and hold the key down, the note sustains to my (also 'old') hearing for around 15 seconds, decaying all the time.

Press softer, dies quicker, press harder lasts longer, so even using seconds to time it, it is still only a ballpark.

So 4/4 time at 60bpm, no problem with ties or slurs or phrases over several bars.

I think this is pretty typical of most modern DP's I have played or owned, ranging from Casio low entry, Kawai mid-range, Roland mid-high, Yamaha high-end.

As James says, some are adjustable too.

What does your do, in seconds?

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063443
04/12/13 11:33 AM
04/12/13 11:33 AM
Germany
M
MagicK Offline
MagicK  Offline
M

Germany
Even in my first book be it sax or piano I had songs at very different speeds. Anyhow, I like your division of music into basic and rock and roll.

On my Cn34 an f middle c lasts roughly 25 seconds (measured with a metronome at60bpm) and yes decay sounds harsh but its GH the technical term even on acoustic instruments.

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063466
04/12/13 12:11 PM
04/12/13 12:11 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Michael, are you winding these good fellas up a little? grin

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: peterws] #2063696
04/12/13 08:08 PM
04/12/13 08:08 PM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
peterws, I have read your post, here:

Michael, are you winding these good fellas up a little? grin

The humour is that I have been posting in the news group for about a year and nobody ever responded to my post immediately as I was reposting and correcting errors and that is mainly because the world is asleep. But being the digital piano forum, people are awake not playing their piano and doing scales at 3 or 4 a.m. pacific standard time but are on their computers reading my posts.

I think I got my answer, sort of, and they got my reply, sort of. But thanks for your interest (grin).

Re: Is there a sustain button on expensive digital pianos? [Re: Michael_99] #2063815
04/13/13 01:17 AM
04/13/13 01:17 AM
Canada
M
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Melodialworks Music  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Canada
Originally Posted by Michael_99

Well, reviewing the posts, I add that I am an old man 64. I am a beginner piano player.

Hey, 64 is NOT old!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yohan Kim
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 03:54 PM
TuneLab iOS testers needed
by Robert Scott. 09/15/19 02:48 PM
piano strings?
by VladK. 09/15/19 12:13 PM
Screwing capstans directly into keystick.
by johnstaf. 09/15/19 06:58 AM
PW unfriendly to mobile - FIFY.
by Gombessa. 09/15/19 02:50 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,049
Posts2,869,708
Members94,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission