Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (achoo42, Anticlock, AYS, Balezin Dmitry, Animisha, AWilley, accordeur, 36251, 18 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 #2063462
04/12/13 12:03 PM
04/12/13 12:03 PM
T
Thalanor Offline OP
Thalanor  Offline OP
T

Dear community,

As someone who is going to buy a digital piano in the next couple of months, I thought I would create this thread and post my impressions on these pianos as I am trying them out in different stores in hopes of helping other people who might be in a similar position as myself.

To get a full view of what might apply to you or not, I think it is important to let you guys know a bit about my use scenario and my background first.

I am NOT a professional piano player. I used to play the electronic home organ from 6-18 although I have always wanted to play a piano (which I did for one year) before starting college. Now more than a decade later, I am actually done with my studies. This will be a gift to my wife who has even less experience than I. The piano is just one of those things, I promised her, and now with our baby born, I thought that it would be a good time to buy a good instrument that the entire family can benefit from: For me to get back and enjoy the piano for intermediate pieces, for my wife to learn playing piano from scratch again, and for my son as an instrument to learn to play the piano on over time if he has interest that also serves a nice piece of furniture in our house (important for my wife).

With that said: I have a preference for a digital piano because moving them will be less of an issue (it will happen within the next 2 years). Maintenance of a digital piano will be much less complicated. They are also a bit more affordable. With all that said, I am looking for a digital piano that is as close as possible to a real piano.

Log: 2012/04/11

I went to DC Pianos in Berkeley. This store is really nice as there are no pushy sales. They are there and will assist you if/when you need them but they are not there to breathe down your neck. Also nice: they stayed 1 hour longer to answer all my questions.

Today I was able to try out the Roland HP-505/507 and the CA-65/95 and compare them next to each other. Before and in between each of those pianos, I sat down in front of acoustic Kawai and Yamaha pianos to get the reference point.

Touch/Feel/Keyboard:

I want to get this out of the way quickly. As I am not a professional piano player, I noticed that CA-65/95 and the HP-505/507 had the same feel respectively. However, they both felt enough like a real piano for me that it did not bother me. The touch felt lighter than some of the cheaper/older accustic pianos but not quite as light as a grand piano. Beyond that I couldn't tell more. For me they felt responsive enough. A couple of small things to notes on the keyboard: I tried the pianos out with the sound off to hear just how the keyboard action sounds. I noticed that the Roland action is slightly louder compared to the Kawai. Both pianos had their own version Ivory-feel keys that served their purpose.

Sound

To me the sound (without headset) is most important because most of the time this will be the way the piano is played. Each time I tried out a piano, I went with the concert grand sound. I did not play around with other sounds as this will not be a common use scenario. We mainly want a piano.

I noticed right away that between the Kawai-65/95 pianos, the way the "character" of the concert grands was identical - which is not surprising as the both pianos use the same sound engine. However, the sound for the CA-95 overall was much better. With the CA-65, I felt like the sound was in front of me or below me which I guess has to do with the position of the speakers. When listening to acoustic pianos there is a sense of immersion which I did not get from the CA-65. Although the CA-95 did not reach that sense of immersion it came much closer - especially in the lower registers where the feel of immersion came maybe 90% close to that of an acoustic piano. The sales person said that this might be even more the case if the piano is facing a wall because the sounds of the soundboard would reflect back. (Both pianos were just standing there in the middle of the room). I really liked the sound of the Kawai digital piano. They felt really warm/organic and very close to "real" whatever is meant by that.

There are a couple of small nit-picks compared to real acoustic pianos: First, I did not hear noises produced by other mechanical parts like damper pedal etc. I only heard their effects. This is something I originally was not looking for until I tried out the Roland pianos, and then went back to an acoustic piano (more later). Secondly, if you press and hold a key for a long time and let the key decay, after a certain time the decay starts sounding unnatural to me. It's hard to describe but there is a certain wavy nature to this sound and it almost feels like a part of the sound sample gets "looped" again. Not sure if that's what they do but that's how it sounds like to me. The other thing I noticed when hitting the same key from slow and soft to fast and hard is that there seem to be small but noticeable "changes" in the character of the sound that felt like shifting gears or bumps in the dynamic behavior of the tone. Does this have to do with switching from one recording sample to another? These are small things not everyone will notice. I just happened to have the time.

As for the Roland pianos, generally, the stock piano sounds really good in the lower and higher registers. The HP507 sounded stronger than the HP505. Other people on the forum have noticed their "weak" or "metallic/synthetic" sounds in the middle registers. I can confirm this observation as well. But because the sales person was very knowledgeable about the Roland pianos, he showed me how these concerns can be addressed using the "Piano Designer" - a feature unique to the Roland HP-507 only. It's interesting but we were able to trace the metallic sounding part to a default setting in the "Duplex Scale" which was set to 5 initially. Reducing this setting to 3 or 2 to make the piano sound more "natural" and less "synthetic". The other thing to note, the default I found on both Roland pianos was "Lid position" 0 (or completely closed...they are modeling a grand piano). In this position the piano sounded like the CA-65: The sound came somewhere in front and below of you. Once the lid position was set to 4-5 (half-open), the sounds "opened up" as well and felt a LOT more immersive and much much better and I am left to wonder why those were not the default settings from the beginning. I also noticed that unlike Kawai pianos, Roland pianos try to not just reproduce piano samples, but try to emulate the entire piano experience by asking: how does a damper sound when raised, how does a vibrating string sound, how does a hammer sound when it hits the string or how does a resonating body sound with different openings. Because each of these sound component was sampled and modeled separately, the Roland HP507 allows you to tune each aspect of this piano. As far I as can tell, Kawai Virtual Technician does not have this ability simply because the sound was not sampled/modeled in this highly complex way (EDIT: PARTIALLY INCORRECT, SEE BELOW). I also tried out letting the keys decay for a long time here. The unnatural wavy-loopy sensation is absent here. Roland HP-505 and HP-507 sounds decay MUCH more naturally like a real piano...let me correct myself...they sound just like a real piano - unlike the CA-65/95. The dynamic range also seemed better on the Rolands compared to the Kawai pianos. I tried this by repeatadly hitting the same notes with different strengths and velocities (from soft and slow to fast and hard).

Initial Post-Impressions:

I have narrowed the choice down to the top models (HP-507/CA-95). I will still need to continue testing these + the Yamahas in different stores. Not a final conclusion but current impression: I like Roland's more complex modeling of different aspects of piano sounds more. I like the stock piano settings in the Kawai more. I appreciate how the synthetic character of Roland pianos can be tuned out. Even if Roland pianos can "simulate a sound board", somehow, overall, I still like the Kawai sound on the CA-95 more and I think this has a lot to do with having a real soundboard that resonates in a real way.

There is no perfect digital piano yet: In a way, I wished the Kawai had all the components of the piano modeled like the Rolands. Or vice versa, I wished the Roland HP-507 had a real sound board. Those in my mind would make a perfect digital piano.

When I arrived home, I looked up some specs that I think are worth sharing here as well:

Polyphony. Roland HP-505/507 have 128 polyphony. Kawai-CA65/95 have 256 polyphony. Since I am not a professional piano player, I am wondering if this makes a real difference or not? Do advanced pieces really need 256 piano sounds to sound all at the same time or not? I am not doubting but asking cause I don't know.

These are my initial impressions and I hope that they are useful to members of this community. As I will be visiting more stores in the future, if you have any questions you would like me to address while I am there please feel free to post them here. Note though that it might be 2-3 weeks before I have another chance to go.

Last edited by Thalanor; 04/15/13 01:56 PM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063476
04/12/13 12:54 PM
04/12/13 12:54 PM
Czech Republic
H
Hookxs Offline
Hookxs  Offline
H

Czech Republic
You have such a good ear that it almost looks like you are reciting from a technical brochure;-) Just kidding, you correctly identified sample looping present in Kawais (and most DPs) and not present in Roland SN sound, and velocity layer switching.

My comments: several people (incl. me) noticed that CA95 with its soundboard actually sounds better if it is not position close to the wall, there should ideally be some significant gap between the soundboard and the wall.

In my opinion, decision between CA95 and HP507 boils down to:
- which sound character (in headphones) and sound projection (speakers) do you like better?
- can you tolerate the intrinsic loudness of Roland keyboard? (not to be underestimated)

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Hookxs] #2063478
04/12/13 12:59 PM
04/12/13 12:59 PM
T
Thalanor Offline OP
Thalanor  Offline OP
T

Thank you for the compliment. Yeah, I am not a professional piano player, but I am what you could consider an audiophile...and these things somehow just popped out.

As for the gap you mentioned on the CA-95. How much of a gap would you recommend? The piano I tested was just standing there in the middle of the room...

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063511
04/12/13 02:15 PM
04/12/13 02:15 PM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline
500 Post Club Member
brooster  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Tennessee
Here's a Sales Manual for the 300 series Roland Pianos

Roland Sales Manual 300 Series

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063542
04/12/13 03:15 PM
04/12/13 03:15 PM
Slovakia
jarosujo Offline
jarosujo  Offline

Slovakia
Whatever final decision you make, you will make good decision. All DP from top companies are very nice, it all depends what YOU like more. Good luck with your shopping, I am already looking forward to my next GAS season grin

Last edited by jarosujo; 04/12/13 03:16 PM.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063670
04/12/13 06:53 PM
04/12/13 06:53 PM
M
MarkF786 Offline
MarkF786  Offline
M

Thalanor,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these DPs. I too am in the market and have narrowed it down to a Roland DP, though I'm torn between the 505 and 507. Most people seem to say the 507 isn't worth the extra $1000, but I would like to have the Piano Designed feature. I guess you feel the difference in features is worth the extra $1k?

Kind regards,

Mark

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063672
04/12/13 06:54 PM
04/12/13 06:54 PM
Europe (Northern Spain)
W
Wuffski Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wuffski  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

Europe (Northern Spain)
Thanks for the excellent review!
I have absolutlely nothing to object, all you said about the 505/507 and CA-65 perfectly matches my own experience. Unfortunately I haven´t got hands on a CA-95 by now.
Please, as you announced that you would test again, could you please play something with the metronome (practicing), then decide to record it with metronome supporting the recording session, and then switch between practicing and recording forth and back several times? Maybe not always saving the recording, but discarding it if not a good one (in imagination)?
You know, I have a 505, and preffered its speaker system and sound much over the 65, while I couldn´t afford the 507 or even an 95. I am after half a year still much in love with it, but found that the metronome implementation for practicing and recording modes is not pragmatic at all. After your report matches so well my own experiences, I assume that your metronome experience would be worthy for me to hear from you!

PS: I found the 505 to sound better if not placed close to the wall, but keep it on at least 15 cm distance to it. Yes, I really tested it on the centimeter precision, in my living room, and it makes a difference from very well sounding to even singing. More than the 15 cm distance then didn´t change anything further. So, testing the HP in a store placed in the middle of a room instead of having it at a wall will give you the maximum experience (if the show room is not disturbed by other noise).

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063678
04/12/13 07:04 PM
04/12/13 07:04 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
I will be interested to read your update when you compare these the Clavinova. It has been my impression that Yamaha has not done very much to improve that line over the years. Their hybrids are something else but I found the Clavinovas disappointing the last time I tried them.

I am a lot more impressed with the developments made by Roland and Kawai.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2063682
04/12/13 07:22 PM
04/12/13 07:22 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Thalanor, thank you for posting your detailed experiences of the high-end Kawai and Roland models. I believe this is a fair assessment of the two brands - Kawai with a more natural tone, but Roland with the more impressive sustain.

As you've experienced, the Roland's 'Piano Designer' parameters allow numerous characteristics of the piano sound to be changed, and I believe the Kawai's 'Virtual Technician' offers similar levels of adjustment - especially when it comes to additional pedal/key noises and resonances etc.

Good luck with your ongoing search - I will be interested to read your thoughts on the equivalent Yamaha models. However, don't forget to consider the ebony polished models, such as Roland LX-15, Kawai CS7/CS10, and Yamaha Avantgrand NU1/N1.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: MarkF786] #2063811
04/13/13 01:06 AM
04/13/13 01:06 AM
T
Thalanor Offline OP
Thalanor  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by MarkF786
Thalanor,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these DPs. I too am in the market and have narrowed it down to a Roland DP, though I'm torn between the 505 and 507. Most people seem to say the 507 isn't worth the extra $1000, but I would like to have the Piano Designed feature. I guess you feel the difference in features is worth the extra $1k?

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark,

I think I need to do more testing to give you my perspective on this. For the question, HP-505 vs HP-507, I suspect I want to hear both sounds again and with the HP-507 compare how the Piano Tuner future changes.

It also depends on whether you plan on mostly playing with or without headset. If you plan on mostly playing with headset, the $1000 extra I suspect would not be worth it. It's harder to say for the other case. I personally much prefer the HP-507 sounds and tunability. In my case, I want as close as possible to acoustic piano. The way I am thinking about a piano purchase is not how much you would save going with a cheaper model but for a budget of 4000-5000 (preferably towards the lower end) after tax how much of a piano can I get?

I will pay a bit more attention to these two models when I get a chance again.

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2064048
04/13/13 02:04 PM
04/13/13 02:04 PM
Prague, Czech Rep.
C
Clayman Offline
Clayman  Offline
C

Prague, Czech Rep.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the pianos with us. I'm sure any one of those you have chosen will eventually work for you. Do also keep in mind, though, that some users here have reported some wear on Roland piano keyboards. I'm not sure if HP-507 was concerned or if it was HP-505 -- probably the latter but it's still something you might want to know about.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2064195
04/13/13 07:34 PM
04/13/13 07:34 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Clayman, Roland used to have an issue with the Ivory Feel surfaces occasionally discolouring on some older models, however I believe this has been resolved with the latest instruments.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Kawai James] #2064411
04/14/13 10:19 AM
04/14/13 10:19 AM
Prague, Czech Rep.
C
Clayman Offline
Clayman  Offline
C

Prague, Czech Rep.
Good to know Roland has resolved this issue. I just remember a few fellow forumers discussed or asked about this.

-- Zbynek N.

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2064993
04/15/13 01:35 PM
04/15/13 01:35 PM
T
Thalanor Offline OP
Thalanor  Offline OP
T

Log 2012/04/15:

As promised, I am keeping you all updated on my hunt, and writing down my experiences with pianos as I try to find the "perfect" one for my family's needs.

On Sunday, I went to another piano store called SoCal Pianos in Ontario, California. My original plan was to just try out the CLP470/480 and compare them to the CA65/95.

I briefly tried the CLP470 and compared it to the other three models. The CLP470 and CLP480 piano sounds are identical when it comes to the "character of the piano sounds". Again this is not surprising because both pianos use the same sound source. When it comes to "vibrancy" for lack of a better word, the CLP480 sounded better. I am noting that the STOCK piano sounds on these Yamaha models tends to sound a bit softer compared to the Kawai models. I emphasize the word stock because there is a large amount of tun-ability with each piano. So the final decision comes down to personal preference when it comes to the sound. It may not be surprising that additional speakers on the CLP-480 really make the piano sound much better compared to the CLP-470.

A couple of remarks on superficial things like appearance: I liked the way the digital display was designed on the CLP-470. I did not like the central control board on the CLP-480 one bit as it takes away the immersive illusion of being in front of a real accoustic piano. On the bright side, Yamaha did design the cover in such a way that it can be pulled slightly forward to hide (cachet?) the electronics. On the CLP-470 it looks good. On the CLP-480, the gap between the cover and the base of the control panel felt just a bit too wide for me.

Having tried out the CLP-480 more, I then proceeded to compare it to the Kawai CA-95 model. I am happy I got to replay the CA-95 again because on my last visit there were a few other people playing instruments on the show room. When I came to this store on a Sunday afteroon, I was the only one there. Both pianos were faced against the wall with a game of about 10-15 cm. Let me just start by saying that both instruments sound and feel very good. When it comes purely to piano character, Kawai's stock sounds are a bit sharper, and Yamaha's a bit softer. Again, all these characteristics are tunable.

In the end, I really fell in love with the Kawai CA-95 overall experience. Both pianos are said to have some sort of sound board. But the soundboard in the CA-95 blows away that of the CLP-480. All keys sounded a tad bit crisper. To most the difference may be unnoticable. What IS noticable like night and day is the tactile sensation playing in front of the CA-95: My feet on the pedal feel the vibrations from the sound board. This sensation is very noticable in the lower registers and very similar to that found on the acoustic pianos I also tested (for reference on the showroom). My legs could feel some of the vibrations from the soundboard as well. On the CLP-480, I was looking for some sensation like that. I did not find it.

I am literally in love with the sound that the CA-95 makes. My wife wants a nice piece of furniture as well that looks modern/contemporary/classy and had a preference for something with the ebony polished look. I was disappointed to find out that the CA-95 series comes only in Rosewood or Black Satin.

Then the showroom manager mentioned that I might be interested in Yamaha's NU1 which I also tried (thanks to Kawai James' pointer). Now I felt like I had a dilemna. The sound etc. are very good (I really mean it) - on the same level as the CLP-480, but not as vibrant as the CA-95 sounds with this sound board. Readers of this forum will know that the NU1 is called a hybrid piano because it has all the mechanical parts of a real upright piano, and this was noticeable. To me this piano really was indistinguishable from other acoustic Yamaha uprights (keep in mind from the perspective of someone slightly more experienced than a novice). Uprights feel heavier than grands. But there is a difference between "cheap heavy" (as in cheaper plastic keyboard simulations), and "solid". This felt solid. I actually really liked the feel on the NU1 maybe even more than on the CA-95. The piano also fulfilled my wife's requirement for elegant/modern/contemporary/classy. This piano looks reallllllly good. And so I fell in love with the feel and looks of the NU1.

So the dilemna for me is: If I could have the NU1 with a soundboard, or the CA-95 in the ebony black polish, I would be perfectly happy. Alas, the showroom does not have such a thing.

So at this point, the decision comes down to 3 categories: sound, feel, appearance. Whichever piano wins the majority of the categories will win the purchase decision. At this point, I am between the CA-95 and the NU1. And in this competition, the NU1 would win on look and feel but sadly not on sound (which again is really good as is).

Thanks to Kawai James, I just looked up what the CS10 is and it seems to be the CA-95 piano in a package that resembles the NU1. The only problem here. I just called the manager to inquire about it. The managers response was that just because the CS10 was shown on the German Musik Messe does not mean that it will become immediately available in the US (or even available at all) because apparently, Kawai US is a different cooperation than Kawai Europe, and each makes its own decision on which models will be sold and which won't.

So my question to you, Kawai James: Do you have any more information on the availability of the CS10 in the US? Will it happen before August (which is when I want to have this gift ready)? I think that this model may answer all criteria that I am looking for as it appears to have an (improved??!) soundboard? The Youtube video mentioned sound engine rebuild...but all that was rather vague...anyway, is there any more information you can share with us on the CS10?

To other people who wanted to to try out specific things, I apologize for not getting to it this time. I will keep those in mind for my next visit.

P.S.: I want to add a few remarks at the end of this post.

1.) I want to correct an incorrect statement I made in my first post regarding the virtual technician. I originally stated that the virtual technician cannot do what the piano designer can do. This is partially incorrect. Settings like damper noise can be modeled. There were off in the Berkeley store, but I found a way to turn them on in the SoCal store. I will need to compare in detail again how these features are similar or different because although there appears to be an overlap, they are not identical.

2.) This review did not mention Rolands at all because this store did not sell Rolands. Of course the sales people were partial to Yamaha and Kawai (which they sell), and put down Roland (which they did not sell). But just to clarify my experiences with these brands and their strong points of each models I am most likely to buy at this point.

Roland: The pyhsical modeling and tunability, as well as the natural decay are the strong points on the HP-507. Kawai and Yamaha do not come close in the sound decay category. Also cool: different piano sounds are emphasized through different speakers.

Kawai: The soundboard on the CA-95 is really immersive. I raved about it earlier and will leave it at that here.

Yamaha: The upright action (ak feel), and looks.

Last edited by Thalanor; 04/15/13 01:54 PM.
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2065007
04/15/13 02:03 PM
04/15/13 02:03 PM
Prague, Czech Rep.
C
Clayman Offline
Clayman  Offline
C

Prague, Czech Rep.
If you're after polished ebony finish, the CS10 might just be exactly what you're looking for. smile Thomann.de already has that piano on offer so I guess the U.S. should follow soon.

(Note to self: only reply after reading the entire post, dummy.)

Last edited by Clayman; 04/15/13 02:09 PM.

-- Zbynek N.

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2065075
04/15/13 04:31 PM
04/15/13 04:31 PM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
They didn't market the CS-10's predecessor (CS-9) in the USA so it's not a given that it will go to the US.

Roland RD-1000 | Broadwood Grand Piano
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2065091
04/15/13 05:17 PM
04/15/13 05:17 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Thalanor, thank you for updating us on your search for a digital piano.

To answer you query:

Originally Posted by Thalanor
Do you have any more information on the availability of the CS10 in the US? Will it happen before August (which is when I want to have this gift ready)? I think that this model may answer all criteria that I am looking for as it appears to have an (improved??!) soundboard? The Youtube video mentioned sound engine rebuild...but all that was rather vague...anyway, is there any more information you can share with us on the CS10?

I'm 95% certain that the CS10 will be coming to the US. Certainly, this model was exhibited at the NAMM Show in January, and is mentioned in the clip below from 2:17 onward:

Moreover, I know that Kawai America recently finished shooting a demonstration video of the new CS models, including the CS10:

[Linked Image]

However, I will double-check with the North America sales team later this morning, just to make sure the above information is correct.

Regarding availability, assuming the CS10 is introduced into the North American market, I would expect it to appear within the next month or so. However, again, I will try to confirm this point.

Finally, the soundboard of the CS10 is identical to that of the CA95. This is an updated version of the soundboard utilised by the previous generation CA93 and CS9 instruments, with longer ribs allowing a broader frequency response and greater volume. For more information about the soundboard speaker system, you may wish to refer to the CA95/CA65 product brochure.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: EssBrace] #2065095
04/15/13 05:27 PM
04/15/13 05:27 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by EssBrace
They didn't market the CS-10's predecessor (CS-9) in the USA so it's not a given that it will go to the US.

Kawai America did not market the CS9, that's correct.

However, as I mentioned above, the CS10 will almost certainly be coming to the US.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Thalanor] #2065197
04/15/13 09:53 PM
04/15/13 09:53 PM
V
vexwk Offline
vexwk  Offline
V

I assume that your metronome experience would be worthy for me to hear from you![Linked Image]

Last edited by vexwk; 04/15/13 09:53 PM.

cavid beekins
Re: On the Hunt:: HP-505/507, CA-65/95, and CLP-470/480 [Re: Kawai James] #2065208
04/15/13 10:29 PM
04/15/13 10:29 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by Kawai James
However, I will double-check with the North America sales team later this morning, just to make sure the above information is correct.

My colleague has confirmed that the CS10 will indeed be sold in North America.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Metronome usage
by Jitin. 08/21/19 10:36 PM
How to play this song
by eisnnlius. 08/21/19 09:03 PM
Sonex Pianos - free Steinway & Bosendorfer for Kontakt
by newer player. 08/21/19 08:25 PM
How to get best deal on Yamaha N3X?
by Teeter. 08/21/19 06:30 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,664
Posts2,861,306
Members94,211
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission