2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2061470 04/08/13 07:56 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
In the past few years, S&S-NY has put the 'L' in the storeroom and re-issued the 'O'. That was followed by the NY rebirth of the 'A'. Has anyone heard anything about Astoria (re)introducing the 'C'? That would create the identical lineup as Hamburg.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think I would prefer that they reintroduce the V in the US.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Interesting. Did Hamburg ever build a 'V'?

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B
They still do!

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I don't think so. Really?

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Interesting, now back to the 'C'.

Marty in Minnesota

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is an on-going convergence of the manufacturing at both S&S factories. From small details up to large ones (decisions on which models are built) things are becoming more "unified" at Steinway. I believe that mostly, the changes have consisted consist of New York adopting the Hamburg way of doing things. There are exceptions, such as the New York pedal hardware now on Hamburg models. But for the most part, the NY pianos are becoming more and more like the Hamburg pianos. I think this is a good step forward.

Introducing a "new" model to a manufacturing process like Steinway's is a huge undertaking. I can't see that happening more than once in a decade. But one never knows - the winds of change are blowing ever stronger at Steinway.

JG

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I'm just curious if there are any rumors floating around, in the biz, about a potential re-introduction of the 'C' for the North American market.

I have a rebuilt/re-scaled 1906 'C' and it is a truly magnificent instrument. It is like playing a superb 'D' without the sheer power to cut through an orchestra. Tonally, it is the same as its bigger brother. I prefer it to the 'B'.

Marty in Minnesota

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'll be attending an event featuring S&S President Ron Losby next week. Perhaps I can ask him about plans for a C.

JG
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Supply
There is an on-going convergence of the manufacturing at both S&S factories. From small details up to large ones (decisions on which models are built) things are becoming more "unified" at Steinway. I believe that mostly, the changes have consisted consist of New York adopting the Hamburg way of doing things. There are exceptions, such as the New York pedal hardware now on Hamburg models. But for the most part, the NY pianos are becoming more and more like the Hamburg pianos. I think this is a good step forward.

Introducing a "new" model to a manufacturing process like Steinway's is a huge undertaking. I can't see that happening more than once in a decade. But one never knows - the winds of change are blowing ever stronger at Steinway.

Brought to you compiments of a VERY sharp Korean businessman.

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
B
BDB Offline
B
I'll be attending an event featuring S&S President Ron Losby next week. Perhaps I can ask him about plans for a C.

Ask about the V, too. I had a really sweet one years ago. The guy I sold it to really liked it, too. I have an O, and he has a Hamburg B now, so if our experience is typical, the V is a great stepping-stone piano.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Jurgen - That would be great. Thanks!

Marty in Minnesota

W
W
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Jurgen - That would be great. Thanks!

So what´s about plans for a New York C?

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
The latest that I was able to find out is the S&S has no plans to reissue the 'C' from the Astoria factory. Apparently they aren't a great seller with the Hamburg, either. The 'B' sets the pace.

It's too bad. The 'C' is a magnificent instrument. It has the full tonal structure and color of the 'D' without the massive, orchestra covering power. The bass will make you weep.

Marty in Minnesota

W
W
The latest that I was able to find out is the S&S has no plans to reissue the 'C' from the Astoria factory. Apparently they aren't a great seller with the Hamburg, either. The 'B' sets the pace.

It's too bad. The 'C' is a magnificent instrument. It has the full tonal structure and color of the 'D' without the massive, orchestra covering power. The bass will make you weep.

Not only is the bass of the 'C-227' but also that bad news makes me weep. frown

I
I

Well hopefully the Hamburg factory does not stop producing these. They are a rare find. I wonder how many people in America order C's from the Hamburg factory?

Originally Posted by iObsessed

Well hopefully the Hamburg factory does not stop producing these. They are a rare find. I wonder how many people in America order C's from the Hamburg factory?

Not enough to warrant them making in Astoria.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think that the C is a far superior model to the B, in fact I've never really liked the B all that much, and for the slight difference in size, you'd think that more people would want a C. I guess though it's not the slight difference in size but the large difference in price that's the problem!

I remember one model C in the RSAMD in Glasgow that was beautiful until for some reason it was relegated to a practice room and a D was put in its place in the small recital hall. The piano ceased to be well maintained and very quickly sounded like a box of nails. I don't know where it is now but it was a 1989 model.

I've played a few in Germany where they seem to be a bit more popular. Steinway Hall in London doesn't even stock them, but they did rebuild one for Haddo House Opera in Aberdeen recently.

I sometimes wonder if the C is a better option for smaller halls, because the automatic choice of the D is sometimes overpowering. In fact I've been in attendance at the Wigmore Hall and spent time wishing that the concert was over because the piano was just too loud, and I was in the back row.

From a musical perspective I'm one of the few who would, if pushed to choose, stop the production of the B but keep the A and C.

YAMAHA Artist
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Steinway has two locations because of the tariff laws of the 1880's. Both shipping and tariffs are a lot less expensive today, so it makes less sense to tool up in one place to make what you're already making in the other. If demand was outstripping capacity it would be a different story.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission