2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Alain #2062064 04/09/13 05:09 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I played a new Schimmel K189 today at Keyboard Concepts in Van Nuys. The Schimmels I've been played in past years, I've been fairly underwhelmed, not my tonal cup of tea. But this was different....simply WOW !

Clarity in all registers, super responsive action/touch to sound, very reminiscent of a Fazioli. Sounded much bigger then a 6'3" piano. I played a Bosendorfer 225 right down the aisle and while the larger scale of the 225 was obvious, the basic clairty and singing tone of the Schimmel, to my ears, was on par with the 225.

KC is one of the biggest Yamaha dealers in the country, and I'm a huge Yamaha fan having owned a C7e & S6 before my D. I played every Yamaha CX model they had from the C3 up to the C7, and as nice as they were, the Schimmel had, for me, a superior, more complex tone and added sustain. And I had never felt that way in the past when playing older Schimmels next to a C7 or C5/6/3.

Basically there was nothing I didn't like about the K189...and this was with minimum prep too. Simply a smokin' piano !

edit with added thought:
Originally Posted by Norbert
Most of the Schimmels I have played/serviced were well made. The tone color does not change much with dynamics-which I find boring.

The statement fails to differentiate between the several different lines of "Schimmel".

For example, the Classic and Konzert series are so different, they may as well be made by different makers.

While the statement may be perhaps partially true for the one series, it definitely does not for the other.

They had the Classic 189 right next to the Konzert and there was no comparison. Playing just one Fm7b5 sus chord voiced with a minor 10th in the LH in the middle register on both pianos immediately told the story... wink It was indeed like playing two different brands of piano as opposed to models.

J
OP Offline
J
Hey Dave,You and I have similar tastes.The clarity in all registers is one of the biggest plus' for me.I also agree that is sounds bigger than a 6'3" piano. Its funny you wrote that cause I have spent a lot of time playing pianos this week.I was in NYC doing a few shows and played lots of great pianos at Faust Harrison and Allegro.Faust had one of the best Steinway A's I have ever played,but it felt and sounded smaller than my K189..it was also clearer..
I think Faust has the best rebuilt Steinways I have ever played.But honestly after playing so many great pianos by different companies,I am not sure I would want a Steinway.If I was to get one it would be a D..I LOVED the C Bechstein 234,and when I jumped to the Steinway B I felt underwhelmed..And their B's were great,I just liked the clarity and evenness of the Bechstein.
I also loved the Bosie 225,really nice piano.
I also went to Steinway Hall..I played 2 D's that i liked a lot..Everything else was just ok..I really found that the Schimmel K189 seems like a lot more piano than the A,and its half the price!!!! what the heck..and the best A's and B's I played were at Faust/Harrison not Steinway Hall.(pretty Sad)...on my way to Europe now for 2 weeks to play duo with my buddy Branford..see ya,Joey

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission