2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hello there,

I've been a passionate piano player for over 8 years and I may be forced to quit playing if I don't receive help! I would love to buy a digital keyboard, and could use some assistance please!

Please check out my "gofundme" page, it would mean the world to me! Thanks!
http://www.gofundme.com/piano

Also, some recommendations for what kind of keyboard I should get would be appreciated.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Chad, i checked out your link. You play well and I appreciate your passion. Until you raise funds, you should schedule time with the school's music department for days you can use piano to practice.

UW-Eau Claire seems to have an outstanding music department:
https://www.uwec.edu/Mus-The/degrees/music_ed.htm.
They even have a seperate keyboard division!
https://www.uwec.edu/Mus-The/degrees/keyboard.htm.

You are VERY fortunate to be attending such a great school. Take advantage of it!

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 04/09/13 11:32 AM.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Hi Chad, i checked out your link. You play well and I appreciate your passion. Until you raise funds, you should schedule time with the school's music department for days you can use piano to practice.

UW-Eau Claire seems to have an outstanding music department:
https://www.uwec.edu/Mus-The/degrees/music_ed.htm.
They even have a seperate keyboard division!
https://www.uwec.edu/Mus-The/degrees/keyboard.htm.

You are VERY fortunate to be attending such a great school. Take advantage of it!

Thank you. I am going to try to do whatever I can to continue playing.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Seriously, the bleeding-heart OP couldn't save $499 in 8 years for a NEW entry level DP? And while begging for money, he wants twice the amount required?

Be mindful, guys. This is funding a scam, or supporting a guy who is really bad with money.

O
OP Offline
O
I was basically a child for most of those years; why in the world would I have been saving up for a piano? I had a large upright to use at my home, but now that I am moving on with my life and getting an apartment I don't have room to get a full-size piano.

Most decent keyboards I have seen cost upwards of 1,000 or more, and that's just a "goal." I would make do with whatever I could get.

C
C
@OnIvoryKeys, get a job, man! (as many of us did while we were students)

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I understand your point xorbe. I also truly do not believe that gofundme.com is the best way to get quick cash for anything you want for that matter - unless a true charitable cause perhaps.

However, i see that that he is a college kid and a post like this is not too surprising. I hope he his good kid that truly appreciates piano and NOT a scammer. Plenty of pianos usually at any college. Play there until you come up with the funds however you think you need too. I do not agree with a handout approach so that's way I am not giving money, just giving advice.

I do agree with CarloPiano. You might appreciate buying a piano with money you earned rather than given.

@OnIvoryKeys Im trying to help you out best i can, but my loyalty is to this forum and piano enthusiast here who have helped me with great advice. So if you are some spoiled punk-ass kid trying to scam us. Please remove this post.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 04/09/13 02:31 PM.
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by OnIvoryKeys
Most decent keyboards I have seen cost upwards of 1,000 or more, and that's just a "goal." I would make do with whatever I could get.

Gee, I wish random internet people would pony up and buy me whatever thousand dollar gadget I felt entitled to. Here's a feel good internet high five for wishful thinking that it's a unicorn rainbow skittles filled world.

O
OP Offline
O
I wasn't expecting much when I made it. Not trying to scam anyone, any money I would get would be towards a piano.

I also do have a job but I have been using it to offset tuition costs which I was not able to completely cover through financial aid.

Was just hoping there would be someone nice with extra cash to help me so I dont have to put playing piano on the backburner for a while. If you dont want to donate then thats totally fine, I know there are more important charitable cases.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by OnIvoryKeys
Was just hoping there would be someone nice with extra cash to help me so I dont have to put playing piano on the backburner for a while. If you dont want to donate then thats totally fine, I know there are more important charitable cases.

I admire your boldness. If what you say is truthful then I wish you luck. But you are right; there are more important charitable causes!

It's an interesting study into the mindset of some of today's younger people - "can't afford what I want, don't like some of the workarounds or compromises available so I know, I'll just ask total strangers to buy me what I want". I mean, you can't fault the logic!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@OnIvoryKeys. I suggest you remove this post. This is not the place to ask for financial assistance. However, when you are ready to buy, start a new post and we will gladly advise you on a piano that fit's your budget. Good luck until then.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Tuition and lodging costs seem to be very high these days, more so than in former decades perhaps, although the wide availability of student loans helps make college possible. So, it's often a question of priorities at that stage of life. How important is piano to you? What is the likely outcome of putting it on the back burner for a while (something everyone has to do from time to time)?

To be honest, since pianos are so readily available at most educational institutions, I don't see why you should put it on the back burner, if it's something you love. Sure, it's nice to have a personal practice instrument, but until DPs became readily available people made do with communal practice facilities. In fact, as many here would assert, it might be better to use a "real" acoustic piano for practice, for the time being, rather than a DP.

With regard to the begging aspect, I live in a town where it seems to be a way for a growing number of young people to avoid regular work, or simply supplement their income - and thereby renders it almost impossible to ascertain who is really in need (sometimes I look at shoes, and see who's wearing the almost new $100+ sneakers). I would not feel comfortable asking random people to help me fund my hobby, or supplement my income; neither would I expect to provide that to others, as it inadvertently makes it more difficult for those who are in genuine need. What I would do, if I was desperately needing to gain support for my future music career, is to think more creatively, and come up with some sort of sponsorship deal that might attract one or two investors. People don't necessarily expect a return (or at least much of one), but they do prefer people to be making an effort rather than just passing round a begging bowl.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
C
C
This reminds me a lot the Spongebob Squarepants episode Tentacle-Vision, where Zeus, The Guitar Lord have a TV show in order to get donations to buy a guitar.

Maybe times have changed and we must accustom to the new generations behaviour... Maybe we are getting old fashion frown

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
@onivorykeys: why not to stop classes for some months in order to buy a new DP? It's your life, your dream, your money...I have a friend who is almost blind. He's got the piano grade (14 years, here), half of them working as a lottery seller on the streets.
Seriously, I can't imagine myself having your real nerve.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Asking musicians for money - that's rich.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I reckon he`s seen all this fancy stuff most of us have. I would say there`s not many poor musicians here! Well, y`know what I mean . . we could be all crap, but not short of a bob or two . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/10/13 05:55 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Hello there,

I've been a passionate sports-car driver and pianist for over 45 years and I may be forced to quit driving if I don't receive help! I can no longer afford to buy sports-cars since the rebel government in Nigeria has deposed me.

My local church offered me the use of the church-van but where is the passion in driving that? I would love to buy a 2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta without actually paying for it myself, and could use some assistance please!

P.S. Base price is $330,000 but I'm going to work out a good deal with the vendor so it wouldn't be seem like a blatant disregard for other people's money. Here's a link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1207_2013_ferrari_f12_berlinetta_first_drive/

PPS. Dealer said he'd also throw in keyboard (one of those small potable ones to fit in the Ferrari).

Oh....and I'd be glad to take you all for a ride!

PPPS. Contact me through my attorneys: Dewey, Cheetum & Howe.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by playliszt
Hello there,

I've been a passionate sports-car driver and pianist for over 45 years and I may be forced to quit driving if I don't receive help! I can no longer afford to buy sports-cars since the rebel government in Nigeria has deposed me.

My local church offered me the use of the church-van but where is the passion in driving that? I would love to buy a 2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta without actually paying for it myself, and could use some assistance please!

P.S. Base price is $330,000 but I'm going to work out a good deal with the vendor so it wouldn't be seem like a blatant disregard for other people's money. Here's a link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1207_2013_ferrari_f12_berlinetta_first_drive/

PPS. Dealer said he'd also throw in keyboard (one of those small potable ones to fit in the Ferrari).

Oh....and I'd be glad to take you all for a ride!

PPPS. Contact me through my attorneys: Dewey, Cheetum & Howe.
You shouldn't be that quick to discount that van. Some new wide tires and premium gas and you should be good to go. Just get a few nuns to join you and you won't even miss the Ferrari.

Last edited by 36251; 04/10/13 01:50 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission