2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2060813 04/07/13 02:57 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
One of my colleagues will be handling this.
Thanks,
Anthony Tommasini
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:43 PM
To: Tommasini, Anthony
Subject: Request For Obituary From Louis Podesta

Tony:

Dorothy Taubman died on Wednesday

As one of the most innovative piano technique teachers of the last 50 years, I think she deserves a formal obituary in the Times.

Thanks.

Louis Podesta

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a friend who suffered a piano injury, and a teacher that was familiar with Taubman's ideas helped her to recover and practice safely. I hope Dorothy Taubman rests in peace, and I agree with you that it would be good for her legacy to be discussed to be in the Times.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good job, Louis. While I'm not the biggest admirer of the Taubman approach (but my main problem isn't with her or the method but with the attitude of many adherents), I agree that she deserved such attention. Although......I'm not sure I would have addressed Anthony Tommasini as "Tony." grin

Let's see.....I had some correspondence with him a couple of years ago. Let's see how he signed his notes....

"Tony Tommasini"

Well, OK. ha
I still wouldn't address him as Tony. But since he signs "Tony," what the heck.... smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

"Tony Tommasini"

Or "Tony Tommy".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In Australia we usually use first names. And when the first name is not known, they often use terms like "sweetheart" and "honey" - even with old men! laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I guess it's a regional and/or a personal thing, but I would never think of assuming the first name that a person goes by with friends and addressing him/her that way unless I were invited to do so.

Times have, of course, changed. In my younger years in Canada, no one would assume to address an adult unknown to them by their first name, but would always use Miss, Mrs. or Mr. with the last name. Now chummy familiarity is all the thing; everyone is addressed by their first name.

I hear that in some schools, colleges and universities, students address their teachers by their first names. Not only was that never done in "my time" but where I taught we teachers were admonished never to use the first name of a teacher we were talking to if we were within earshot of a student. First names between and among teachers could only be used in private conversations.

First-name familiarity irks some people of my generation and can even lead to awkward situations. Bruce is not my first name, but it is the name I go by by all who know me. Sitting in the waiting room of an office where I may have an appointment and hearing a twenty-something receptionist call out a familiar and shortened (gasp!) form of my first name will fail to rouse me from my reverie since no one who knows me addresses me that way. I initially fail to realise that someone is calling me when that name is used.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
First-name familiarity irks some people of my generation and can even lead to awkward situations. Bruce is not my first name, but it is the name I go by by all who know me. Sitting in the waiting room of an office where I may have an appointment and hearing a twenty-something receptionist call out a familiar and shortened (gasp!) form of my first name often fails to rouse me from my reverie since no one who knows me addresses me that way. I initially fail to realise that someone is calling me when that name is used.
I'm usually just surprised if they have the pronunciation right. I have one of those names which people misread. There's no real reason why they should, but they do. I've learnt to sigh and tolerate it. As for the little endearments, a 20-something receptionist calling me "dear" really irks me.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In Greece we still call people by their last name, plus Sir, Madame, Mr., Mrs., Ms. etc...

However when moving to England I did realize that everyone was very casual, and switched to calling people by their first name. The Internet has helped a bit. I mean when someone signs 'Andy' and has an undefinite age range (as do I for a lot of people), it's difficult to call him any different. Same goes for me. Very rarely someone will call me Mr. Sideris and then I'll just correct them that I'm quite young and haven't deserved enough fame, fortune, glory and respect to be called that! (I'd rather be called Dr. Sideris, which is how I book flight tickets and it's huge fun! :D)

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello Aussie bird,

Late in life when visiting the UK for the first time,
my dear old Mater (aged 82 at the time)
took the strongest exception to being addressed as “dear” ...
her Victorian upbringing revolted at the familiarity.

Later (after my 4 year post graduate sojourn in London)
I was able to explain to her that the term “dear” was
merely an ingrained British pleasantry ...
a respectful way of conveying an appreciation of your presence and perhaps saying “can I help you luv?”

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by btb
Late in life when visiting the UK for the first time,
my dear old Mater (aged 82 at the time)
took the strongest exception to being addressed as “dear” ...
her Victorian upbringing revolted at the familiarity.
It's not so much the familiarity which annoys me - it's the patronising feel of it. A short step from "dear" to "old harmless dear" perhaps. I'm not ready to be harmless yet. smile

Du holde Kunst...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I guess it's a regional and/or a personal thing, but I would never think of assuming the first name that a person goes by with friends and addressing him/her that way unless I were invited to do so.

Times have, of course, changed. In my younger years in Canada, no one would assume to address an adult unknown to them by their first name, but would always use Miss, Mrs. or Mr. with the last name. Now chummy familiarity is all the thing; everyone is addressed by their first name.

I hear that in some schools, colleges and universities, students address their teachers by their first names. Not only was that never done in "my time" but where I taught we teachers were admonished never to use the first name of a teacher we were talking to if we were within earshot of a student. First names between and among teachers could only be used in private conversations.

First-name familiarity irks some people of my generation and can even lead to awkward situations. Bruce is not my first name, but it is the name I go by by all who know me. Sitting in the waiting room of an office where I may have an appointment and hearing a twenty-something receptionist call out a familiar and shortened (gasp!) form of my first name will fail to rouse me from my reverie since no one who knows me addresses me that way. I initially fail to realise that someone is calling me when that name is used.

Regards,

I've had younger professors who, on the first day of class, specifically say to address them by first name and not Dr., Professor, etc. This semester I have a couple of older ones that you don't even consider addressing by their first name, though. laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

I've had younger professors who, on the first day of class, specifically say to address them by first name and not Dr., Professor, etc.

I've had professors do that, and it's been a long time since school days for me. I think they were mostly interested in appearing cooler than the generation that voted for Nixon. Communist hippy tree-huggers. laugh

My issue with saying "Tony" in this instance wasn't the use of the first name, but the use of the nickname/diminutive, which I'd totally never do -- even if the person himself only used it.

Which we know he doesn't, because his bylines say Anthony. smile

When I corresponded with him -- a few notes back and forth -- I said "Mr. Tommasini" in the first note, then, with considerable thought smile ....Anthony in the next ones because of how familiarly ("Tony Tommasini") he was signing his notes.

P.S. He's probably thrilled if people just know which letter to double in the last name. ha

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
It is like this guys: The man called me personally about a year ago to further discuss running my news story in the New York Times. He said . . . "hello, this is Tony Tommasini from the New York Times."

Prior to that, we had exchanged a few emails.

The bottom line is that I know the man, and therefore, I can address him as Tony.

And, in an interesting side note, he said the major reason the Times could not run my story is that it was too detailed for a newspaper like his. Well, it most certainly has not been "too detailed" for Piano World. And, that is a true compliment to PW.

Further, the Taubman Institute did not issue a press release on her death, and the obituary page notice in the Times was only one paragraph. The reason he was thanking me was that he had not heard of her passing.

Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
It is like this guys: The man called me personally about a year ago to further discuss running my news story in the New York Times. He said . . . "hello, this is Tony Tommasini from the New York Times."

I'd say that's a pretty good answer!

....the obituary page notice in the Times was only one paragraph. The reason he was thanking me was that he had not heard of her passing.

I didn't know they did anything at all. I hadn't noticed anything, and after seeing your post I did a search on the Times site and nothing showed up.

IMO a single paragraph could have been sufficient.
Could you copy/paste for us what they did write?

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I always figured something went awry between her and onetime protegee Edna Golandsky, and Miss Taubman eventually got eclipsed in the pr game. Clearly she had important things to offer, and helped many an impaired pianist.

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
As reguested.

"TAUBMAN--Dorothy, died April 3, 2013. Beloved mother of Mark (Lois). Adored grandmother of Janice. Creator of the Taubman Techniques and Founder and Artistic Director of the Taubman Institute. Funeral will be held on Friday, April 5th, 11am at the Gramercy Park Memorial Chapel, 353 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10010."

In my opinion, this is certainly less than what should be said about a lady who dedicated most of her adult life to piano technique pedagogy. I am sure that Dr. Tommasini's colleague will do a superb job.

And, the reason she got "eclipsed" is that she had a stroke about ten years ago which severely curtailed her teaching.

Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I always figured something went awry between her and onetime protegee Edna Golandsky, and Miss Taubman eventually got eclipsed in the pr game....

As I said above, there are issues on the subject, but I don't see how that's one of them. Both Taubman herself and her method are hugely renowned, and much more well known than Golandsky -- not to take anything away from Golandsky, about whom I've heard only very good things.

Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
As reguested.

"TAUBMAN--Dorothy, died April 3, 2013. Beloved mother of Mark (Lois). Adored grandmother of Janice. Creator of the Taubman Techniques and Founder and Artistic Director of the Taubman Institute. Funeral will be held on Friday, April 5th, 11am at the Gramercy Park Memorial Chapel, 353 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10010."

In my opinion, this is certainly less than what should be said....

Thanks -- and absolutely.

That's not an "obituary" at all; it's a "paid notice."

You got it, Louis!

And it's written by my friend Vivien Schweitzer (and probably friend of others here) who had such a wonderful entry (here) in last year's Cliburn amateur youtube contest and who recently participated in a workshop with Golandsky.

J
J
Great article, she did not deserve anything less, her teaching was amazing and her problem-solving skills were simply out-of-this world! Although I, unfortunately, have never taken lessons with her, I had the chance to watch videos of her lessons and that alone has taken my piano playing to a whole new level, she'll be dearly missed. One thing that did bother me, was the fact that neither the Taubman Institute or Edna Golandsky have come forth with a statement about her passing, I searched in the site, You Tube channel, Blog site, twitter, etc. and not one single word, I think that's unacceptable and inconsiderate, I hope I'm wrong but I couldn't find anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission