2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 209 of 540 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PaperClip
Hi all,

My aotw is that I have a new job starting after the summer as a cook in a restaurant. It is located between the concert hall and a shop selling sheet music. In the middle of the restaurant, there is a grand piano.

Somehow I feel there at home. smile

PaperClip -that's super! Sounds like a wonderful setting in which to work!!

SwissMS...ah, sorry I was mistaken. It would have been fun to share Sicilian experiences!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I was practicing op 27-2 Chopin nocturn. I divided the piece into 9 sections and tackling with the piece section by section. I am at the section #2 thinking "I'm getting the hang of this. Then.. my work cell phone rang. It was about 9:30 PM and from my direct report. I screamed on mute "Oh shoot (actually I said much worse). I did it again!". Yes I missed my call with my business partners in India. I felt horrible. Everyone thought i went to bed and forgot about it. So embarrassing.

Piano is so addictive. I tend to forget about everything once start playing. This not AoTW but I wonder if anyone has similar experience.

My AoTW is that my teacher and play my duet piece - the Mozart Sonata for two pianos in D together first time on last Saturday. I told her that I just read through the notes and not ready but she just started. I said I will do it at 76 per eighth notes but then she said "let's try at 120". I said "no i haven't done that yet". She hears nothing of it and said "yes you can". So we tried at 120. There were a few spots that need some work but I was able to pull it through for the most part. This really surprised me. We will eventually get up to 180.

Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Piano is so addictive. I tend to forget about everything once start playing. This not AoTW but I wonder if anyone has similar experience.

YES!!! It's the only thing I have found that literally takes me away. I sit down at the piano and the next thing I know it's 2, sometimes 3, hours later and I've forgotten everything except the music. It has taught me how to enjoy the journey smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I'm working on a trio of pieces by Melody Bober (1st with her) as a little break from classical pieces. The set is called Postcards from Iowa and I'm really enjoying the last piece titled "River Rhapsody". The tempo is named as 144. Hahahahahahha. My Achievement is playing it at 72 with the 7/8 time and the triplets. It is so cool. Maybe by piano recital time in May it'll rhapsody even faster. There's a great video of a professor from Iowa (I think) playing it at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbEliA_9oQ

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
There's a great video of a professor from Iowa (I think) playing it at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbEliA_9oQ

The pianist is PW's own Kreisler smile He and another pianist have a project of recording a ton of piano pedagogy pieces so students can hear what they sound like.

I think you're 72 is amazing. But when you get it to 144 you'll be the star of the piano party! Just the fact that you've been assigned it is cool - congratulations!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love that whole UI Piano Pedagogy project!

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm back from my Easter holidays with family; nothing exotic, only in the countryside where my mother-in-law lives. Bad weather (except on Sunday), so a lot of time to play on the really basic DP there is there.

I read the last few days in the thread, and I'be been touched by Saranoya's piece about her recital and her health issues.
As others have already said, I think you are really an inspiration to many of us; and I think also that you have good reasons to feel the way you do now. I got into pieces a couple of time in my life, without having any apparently good reason. Tiredness and end-of-winter fatigue can contribute, I hope you can start to feel better soon.

Back to my AOTW: only having practiced more than usual, and my Schumann piece is improving again, it started sounding in the right way (even if much under tempo).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by malkin
I love that whole UI Piano Pedagogy project!

Malkin, I didn't realize there's a whole project. My teacher did get carried away buying all sorts of these music sets. We're each playing one for our next piano recital. What is the goal of the project? Is it connnected with any of the exam systems? Just curious. I'd better go to the piano or my AOTW may be getting up for a cup of coffee.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
A
A
I finally got my midterm grade. An A- is way better then I thought I was going to get.:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Didn't know Kreisler was part of that, Jotur. Will have to thank him, as I am always using the Iowa University videos for reference. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by AimeeO; 04/03/13 02:06 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's a brilliant grade Augustina- congrats! What level of piano are you?

I'm keeping on with the Bach minuet. Got bar one quite nicely done and working on bar two. A guy I know showed me that I actually have a recording programme on my netbook to make an mp3 file of myself playing my piano. I'd seen sound recorder on there but didn't know what it was for LOL!

Now I'll be able to hear back how pants I am ha ha.

A
A
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
That's a brilliant grade Augustina- congrats! What level of piano are you?

I'm keeping on with the Bach minuet. Got bar one quite nicely done and working on bar two. A guy I know showed me that I actually have a recording programme on my netbook to make an mp3 file of myself playing my piano. I'd seen sound recorder on there but didn't know what it was for LOL!

Hmm.. Intermediate maybe?:)

Now I'll be able to hear back how pants I am ha ha.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This may seem trivial but a song my brother used to play years ago just popped into my head while practicing earlier. The song is Put You Together Again by Hot Chocolate. It makes for a great piano practice piece. I have no sheet for it si just played it from memory and came up with a left hand accompaniment for it.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats on the excellent midterm grade Augustina. That must feel great.

LarryS, you've tapped into the music reservoir in your memory. How cool to invent an accompaniment for it.

My scales and my broken chords are steadily improving and just may be ready for the exam on June 1. Hope hope.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LarryShone
This may seem trivial but a song my brother used to play years ago just popped into my head while practicing earlier. The song is Put You Together Again by Hot Chocolate. It makes for a great piano practice piece. I have no sheet for it si just played it from memory and came up with a left hand accompaniment for it.

I don't know that song (or don't remember) but now I have "I believe in Miracles" stuck in my head - thanks! wink

P.S. Hope I don't accidentally sing "you sexy thing" to anyone today ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

I don't know that song (or don't remember) but now I have "I believe in Miracles" stuck in my head - thanks! wink

Same for performing an accidental striptease while waiting in line somewhere...

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

I don't know that song (or don't remember) but now I have "I believe in Miracles" stuck in my head -
thanks! wink

Lol sorry about that wink

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is what I'm practicing.Now that part at the end of each verse is a struggle! Must practice that.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - missing a work call because of piano...Now that's focus!! (probably not the kind your boss likes though!) Are you having fun with the duet you're playing with your teacher?

Wisebuff - I watched the video - I found that site a while ago and I like to use it for listening to pieces I'm studying. There is another fellow who plays alot of my pieces, and I think he plays everthing WAY faster than it needs to be played! I noticed Kriesler appearing in the videos a little while back. This piece "River Rhapsody" is really full of great stuff--- and WOW... I think it will be hard to play up to tempo!!! But fun!

Torquenale - We had crummy weather most of the weekend too - Sunday was nice, but the rest wasn't. Hang in there with the Schumann - the music will be worth all your hard work!

Augustina - Congratulations on your A- !!! That's wonderful!

EdwardianPiano - Now that you know how to record you can join in the recitals!

Larry Shone - playing from what you remember of the tune, left hand included -Bravo.

Andy....you sexy thing, you.

My ATOW was to make my recording of Schumann's Melody and submit it to the Piano Bar. I'm really pleased that I had two pieces ready to go so close together. This certainly tells me that I'm making progress with the learning curve!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, I'm having lots of fun with the duet piece. I wish I had done the 1st movement though. It's not really bad in terms of playing. I thought the 1st movement was way too difficult. Ok next time. This particular sonata is played very frequently in Japan due to the famous piano cartoon / cartoon turned into TV and movie "Nodame Cantabile". So if I learns it I can walk into their monthly piano club and find several willing partners. I love Mozart. It's like a steady diet. I hear no troubled soul or intense passion or modern struggle / isolation / annihilation / else.. You name it. Since I live in this age, of course, I relate to deep and intense pathos, but you need to have somewhere simply beautiful to go back to.

Btw I'm liking the Chopin piece a lot. No wonder people play his pieces a lot. I've been trying not to pick his piece for a long time because it's played by lots of people. I hate to be compared.

Augustina - congrats! A is an A. That's great.

Page 209 of 540 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission