2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Update 8/8/2013:
Update: casio sent a technician and replaced the board and everything worked out, good as new. For those whose casio ap-620 is out of warranty, there is a free extended warranty avaiable from casio, which you have to register to receive. As an aside, if your piano is out of extended warranty, I'm told that the part number for the main board for ap-620 is par number 91087014844 . cost is $296.36 from http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?model_id=AP620&mfg=Casio&back=0&action=list_part I got this site off casio's main site under parts. I also want to Thank Mike_Martin for his help in sending someone out to replace the main board free of charge.
----------------------------------------
old stuff:

AP-620, unable to save tone brightness setting and unable to revert to factory defaults, though I was able to do both before successfully. I do have the Backup Enabled.

Right now, when I try to revert it back to default setting, it gives me the "please wait..." message and it would last indefinitely. This did not happen before. Fortunately for me, power cycling the piano made it workable, however, I still need the above fixed.

The other problem is that it can't save any of my settings. And when I connect my laptop through the Piano's usb, I don't see any folders in the piano's drive.

What do you think is wrong with this piano? The mainboard?

I would not buy another Casio keyboard. These are known issues:

http://www.justanswer.com/electroni...-privia-px-330-keyboard-worked-fine.html

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca...ap-620-digital-piano-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/56-casio-ap-620-boot-up-problem/

http://www.fixya.com/support/t385410-re_casio_wk_3000_musical_keyboard_only

and costco no longer carries Casio pianos for a good reason.

Thanks.

Last edited by pianoworldanon; 08/08/13 08:08 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
What did Casio technical support suggest?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
OP Offline
P
Casio asked me to bring it to their repair shops.

Kawai-James, please list all authorized Kawai repair shops in California. I'm curious about Kawai's level of support too, but I'm more interested to have a list of California repair shops.

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoworldanon
Casio asked me to bring it to their repair shops.

And what happened then?

Kawai-James, please list all authorized Kawai repair shops in California.

I'm afraid I do not have that information here in Japan.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
OP Offline
P
Kawai-James, I am curious what you can get out of knowing w/ the time spent reading my reply? I am very curious how many service stations Kawai has in California because I did want to buy a Kawai. Since you're part of Kawai, you would have that info as you must be familiar with Kawai.

People do want to know how Kawai would handle similar situation as this, so it would be nice if you can write something up. If the Kawai MP6 encountered the same issue, and if customers are situated far from Kawai, which can genuinely be the case, can the customer request that Kawai ship the main board for the customer to install? I think strategically the current and future pianos must be designed in such a way that components can easily be swapped out to minimize customer frustration. It makes no sense that I would have to take this heavy object back to any service station, in particular when it is a distance off.

Since Kawai-James is curious what Casio asked of me, I am also curious what Kawai would do for a customer like myself should I encounter similar situation. I hope you take this time to report back to Kawai corporate so that your company TOO would be able able to develop a reasonable service for the customers. I believe my suggestion will save Kawai and competitors frustration and cost of repair as it would minimize either contracting 3rd party and or shipping back to the central repair station. I have read a thread about a brand new Kawai piano arrived w/ shipment damage to the keyboard, and in that case, a 3rd party tech arrived on site to repair instead of receiving a new piano, and the job was done unsatisfactorily , in my opinion, where the customer actually had to fix it himself. The customer should have gotten a brand new piano. In my scenario, because Kawai only has one location, as it appears, will Kawai send a 3rd party to my house to swap the board instead of me driving down to the closest authorized Casio repair station? I'd like to know. I noticed that Kawai's web site does not list any repair shops except it's own shop at

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/contact.html

Kawai America Corporation
Technical Support Division
2055 E. University Drive
Rancho Dominguez, CA 90220

"I'm afraid I do not have that information here in Japan."

The above was not difficult to obtain, but since you work for Kawai and appear to spend so much time on PianoWorld, you must know something about Kawai's repair policy and location.

I am very interested to know what can Kawai do for situation similar to my own should I decide on buying a DP from Kawai.

And guys, for those reading this, do not buy ANY DP without actually listening to the piano in person rather than to read reviews. I am NOT impressed with the sound of the AP-620 in it's default setting.

Thank you

Last edited by pianoworldanon; 04/04/13 07:56 AM.
C
C
The usual way of getting things fixed is through contacting your dealer or a service center first, which in turn contacts the manufacturer (do note that the said service center may not be directly owned by the manufacturer).

I'm not really sure what you are getting at with that lengthy post. Are you suggesting that Casio's (or Kawai's for that matter) level of customer service is insufficient?

Also, as digital pianos are very complex products, I'm afraid no manufacturer would ever agree to sending a delicate piece of electronic equipment such as the main board directly to the customer for them to install it themselves.

EDIT: And of course, a digital piano is not a blender. You don't buy one unless you get your hands on it and see for yourself if it meets your requirements.

Last edited by Clayman; 04/04/13 08:27 AM.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
Online Content
Kawai-James, I am curious what you can get out of knowing w/ the time spent reading my reply?

I am trying understand what the problem is. If you believe your Casio has developed a fault, the usual process is to contact the store from where the product was purchased, and/or contact the manufacturer's technical support centre.

I am very curious how many service stations Kawai has in California because I did want to buy a Kawai. Since you're part of Kawai, you would have that info as you must be familiar with Kawai.

While I am indeed employed by Kawai, I am based at the company's head office in Japan, and therefore do not have a detailed insight into the everyday workings of Kawai America, nor any other overseas Kawai subsidiaries.

However, I believe that if a Kawai instrument does develop a fault and the customer reports the issue to the dealer, that dealer will typically arrange for a technician to be sent to investigate the problem and - if possible - fix the issue on-site. If the event that on-site repair is unsuccessful or simply not possible, I believe the instrument may be sent back to Kawai America for further inspection. Again, I'm not overly familiar with the exact details, but I believe this is the standard procedure.

People do want to know how Kawai would handle similar situation as this, so it would be nice if you can write something up.

Well, I hope I've managed to shed some light on the topic.

If the Kawai MP6 encountered the same issue, and if customers are situated far from Kawai, which can genuinely be the case, can the customer request that Kawai ship the main board for the customer to install?

With an instrument such as the MP6, which is typically sold be larger online musical instrument stores, the retailer may request that the instrument be returned for a replacement. Alternatively, they may also send a technician to investigate and - again, if possible - fix this issue.

I do not believe it is possible for customers to request replacement parts in order to carrying out repairs themselves.

And guys, for those reading this, do not buy ANY DP without actually listening to the piano in person rather than to read reviews.

I believe this is generally the advice given to those considering the purchase of any new digital piano - regardless of brand.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Ah KJames, you fell for the OP's April Fool. (yes I know the dates of his/her posts!). smile

Online Content
Damn!

You know, I had a feeling it was just theJourney trying to wind me again!

...fell for it!

P
OP Offline
P
"However, I believe that if a Kawai instrument does develop a fault and the customer reports the issue to the dealer, that dealer will typically arrange for a technician to be sent to investigate the problem and - if possible - fix the issue on-site. If the event that on-site repair is unsuccessful or simply not possible, I believe the instrument may be sent back to Kawai America for further inspection. Again, I'm not overly familiar with the exact details, but I believe this is the standard procedure."

Let me be specific: If the piano is a digital piano, does Kawai send a repair tech to the home of the customer? In the event that it is a computer issue inside the piano, I'd like to know if Kawai will send someone out to look it over, order the part, and then replace it. If it is an acoustic piano, I would presume Kawai would definitely visit the customer's house. I wanted to know how many repair centers Kawai have in California and to answer the question as to whether Kawai comes to the customer's house or that customers are made to send the Digital piano to Kawai, regardless of how far the customer lives. See below.

"I believe this is generally the advice given to those considering the purchase of any new digital piano - regardless of brand.

I hope this helps."

Firstly, you are wrong in regards to the Casio brand. For the casio brand, in the case where my AP-620 displays the "please wait error" Casio specifically require the customer to ship / truck the digital piano to the closest service station, which is 2 hours round trip. Leave the piano there for Casio to diagnose, and then commute another round trip to pick up the piano. This is very painful. There are also unhappy reviews on Amazon of the same damn issue. Kawai-James, I still want to know why you ask and want to know, that you know I'm pissed at Casio so you can create a storm? Since practically almost all authorized service center, centers around LA, for people who buy a piano and have issues with it, then TOUGH LUCK, in particular if they live 500+ miles away from the nearest authorized station. This repair strategy doesn't appear to be the best, and I stand by what I say as a customer, and you can't argue with that.

I seriously won't buy another Casio because I didn't anticipate it to have this same error message across models. The problem is worse if and when the warranty period is over and the same issue crops up, then customers would be left with dead weight.

In looking at Kawai's site, it is not clear how similar repairs would be made, that customers are expected to also drive down to Kawai or Kawai go to the customer's house to fix it. If it's a 10 pound object, yeah, the customer can ship it, but if it's 60+ pounds, the customer won't be shipping it.

I hope readers can understand the pain and predicament I feel. As I explained, if these digital pianos are designed modular, then it makes sense that customers are allowed to send parts only, similar to harddrive manufacturers allow customers to send in a defective harddrive for RMA purpose. I see little difference. Dinos go extinct for a reason cuz they can't adapt to changes, and the DP market does change rapidly, and business models do change from time to time.

Right now, I'm even trying to figure out if I should sell the Piano and get an old Acoustic Baldwin cheap that is built around 1970, which are solid still.

Last edited by pianoworldanon; 04/05/13 03:08 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
If you had bothered to search and read through previous threads on Kawai problems, you would have seen that in many instances, but not all, Kawai in the US have sent technicians out to peoples homes. In the UK most slabs are 'return to centre' for repar, and most consoles are 'in home repair' but this is a generalisation, and different brands have different policies, and different stores have different ideas of customer service.

You should ask your dealer, store, or KawaiUS these questions.

P
OP Offline
P
what's a slab?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Buy an acoustic and be done with it.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JFP
Buy an acoustic and be done with it.

For your information, this is exactly what I'm doing, but it'll be a used acoustic.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...onic%201970%20vs.%20Yam.html#Post2059173

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
what's a slab?

I was referring to a stage piano. Examples P95/105/S90S, FP7F, NP88, RD700NX, Motif, MP6/10. etc. Usually lightweight and portable, although the most recent announcement from Roland has one at 80lbs!

An acoustic is fine. It will need regular tuning and maintenance. Seek out a competent tuner and tech before you buy. Ask the tech to inspect your used acoustic before parting with cash. You will need to manage the home environment (humidity).

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 04/05/13 07:47 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
I'm under the impression that Yamaha appears to have fewer fatal software bugs than the Casio pianos. I'd like to hear from other users who have experience with this "please wait" infinite error either during bootup or other instances.

P
OP Offline
P
Update: casio sent a technician and replaced the board and everything worked out, good as new. For those whose casio ap-620 is out of warranty, there is a free extended warranty avaiable from casio, which you have to register to receive. As an aside, if your piano is out of extended warranty, I'm told that the part number for the main board for ap-620 is par number 91087014844 . cost is $296.36 from http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?model_id=AP620&mfg=Casio&back=0&action=list_part I got this site off casio's main site under parts. I also want to Thank Mike_Martin for his help in sending someone out to replace the main board.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I haven't read the whole thread, but FYI, my PX-330 had that same fault (" please wait"). It was during warranty, and yes, they replaced the main board.

Greg.

Online Content
It's always good to hear about positive outcomes - thanks for the update.

Cheers,
James
x

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I am glad to hear Casio repaired your piano. I had every confidence that they would. Regarding Kawai, other threads posted on Pianoworld indicate they give you in home service on their pianos. I think the technicians they dispatch are 3rd party. Most customer's issues have been resolved this way. I believe there have been instances where Kawai exchanged the piano for the customer but that is on a case by case basis. Your first point of contact is through a dealer for a repair on a Kawai.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission