2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Ojustaboo,

with all due respect, but your story and that of a few others (like your friends - who's final replacement X version locked up during first performance) have been posted, quoted and repeated all over the internet in many threads and places. However it are still your case and a few other cases whilst there are ten-thousands of Kronos boards shipped ; if you have to believe the serial numbers (pretty impressive right?).

Yes, they messed up big time with the RH3 in the beginning, but later on - with boards shipping wit the "made-in-Japan" RH3 keybeds the keys seem to be fine ; for as far as you may or may not like the RH3 itself. In other words ; it can't possibly be that all these thousands of Kronos machines have all been send back, repaired, exchanged etc and although there are misses, most of them are fine to begin with. I'm not jumping into the defense of Korg in particular here, but I simply recognize the mechanism at work here as far as negative posting about a product is concerned ; it are the same repeated stories I encounter over and over again and that give's the impression ALL Korg keybeds are bad - which can't be the case. They would have been bankrupt by now.

So if someone really likes the Kronos - be cautious to get a recent model (!), but other than that don't let all the bad posts about the RH3 in the past influence your purchase for the future. If you're really scared - consider the 61 key Kronos with an 88 controller as I said before.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
ummmhhhh...
It's not the first time I read such a reasoning (only ten public complaints don't mean a thing/there must be millions of happy silent owners).
In fact, this is exactly what the conservative politicians say, here in Spain, as soon as a thousand people join in a demonstration.
As a consumer, I am very thankful to those who write merciless reviews, specially if they sound to be true, as in this case.
We (consumers) have the right to do so, and enough common sense to determine wether a post is reliable or not.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@mabraman

Of course the post is reliable and I fully agree with the fact that Korg initially messed up big time with their RH3 key beds. My only point is that now - with the current batches of Korg machines - potential customers must not be totally scared away from the Kronos, because of these faulty units in the past. And there are a lot of horror stories out there that are repeated over the many user fora and give the impression that any Korg is a bad Korg. That's simply impossible in the light of the amount of units that have been sold and Kronos Instruments that are currently in use by people. So yes - not everything is/ has been well and perfect in Kronos land - but don't forget the bigger picture; total units sold / cases of dirty RH3's - old batches with bad keys / new batches with revised keys. Then decided if you want to give it a try or not...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That's true JFP, but, hey, let someone else (a Korg employee) play that HAL9000 character.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
R
R
wow this all sounds so much like the problems Kurzweil had with the first run of K2000's. Deja vu.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
To buy the same size SSD as is in the original Kronos is £35. The RAM can be bought for about £10 making £45.

Korg charges over £200 for this (haven't got the figures to hand, I THINK it's £239).

This is normal. The market for commodity computer parts being what it is, Korg probably can't buy that SSD and RAM much more cheaply than you can. Then they, their distributor, and the dealer all mark it up to make profit on it (it's why they're in business), and then they also have to pay for the tech's time to install it (and make profit on that as well). So It's easy to see how 45 in parts turns into over 200 at retail.

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Would be good to know which serials these (new?) faulty machines we're ! Perhaps these examples are new old stock and have all old serials from the first batches despite being sold as new now...

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:20 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
OK, nothing especially to the defense of Korg (cause they obviously messed up), but to put things in proper perspective. If the boards had early serials , despite being sold off so late, than it's to be expected that they had the faulty keybeds. I understood that somewhere around 3500 the keybeds of the 88's we're changed for the better.

I wonder very much if there are known cases of bad keybeds above serial 4000 which should be in the save zone - despite Korg not saying where exactly they started to double check the key beds (from 35xx??). If there are known cases of problems with >= 4000 serials - then I seriously doubt if it is save to buy any Kronos 88/73 at all.

Pitty - had my eye on a used one in the 4000 range...assuming it would be all-right. What to do...

By the way - loose screws in a 61 Kronos is a story you hear more often. Don't know if it's a matter of simply tightening the screws yourself and checking them , or a more serious problem...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission