2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Should i charge more for tuning at night for or just standard basic rate ?

michael

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is up to you. I do not work outside of normal working hours except for shows.

Semipro Tech
R
R
Ah, the things we do for love !

(or to survive, or to build a fledgling tuning practice)

I suppose the tangents of a possible answer lie in what I have already written, but the answer does depend on some "stuff."

For example, there are times when due to family schedules and college schedules I had rather get to the music practice rooms at 6:00 A.M. on a Saturday, when no one else is there. On the other hand, if some demanding customer makes it tough to schedule them and I have already tried three times to get them tuned, then I am forced to do it at an odd time even so...

yes, I would charge them extra.

Of course, you hope for the day and the place that you can skip all the goofy stuff. Some of us make it to that far, fond land - sometimes, at least. Most of us don't and life stays a little on the tough side. Count your blessings, either way!

P.S. The best time to do a retirement center is usually 8:30 - 9:00 P.M. At least it's quiet. Take your pick: hectic, noisy or when it's all done for the day.

Last edited by RestorerPhil; 03/29/13 12:25 AM.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
SURE CHARGE more if you can get it!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Reality check . ..

Do you expect to pay the same for a plumber, locksmith, auto mechanic that provides service for you beyond regular hours?

The greater question would be, do you want a customer that values your time and work so little that they would not want to pay extra for accommodation to their schedule?

Sometimes when I'm trying to schedule with a customer who has called, they say something like, "Well, I work during the day". To which I reply, "So do I". That kind of sets things in perspective. I usually go on to suggest that they will need to make the same kind of arrangements as if they were having a plumber, electrician or other service person working at their house.

If you're hungry, do what you need to do, but you are probably under-valuing your service.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
If you are building a business, as I am, probably not. When you get to the point to where you're tuning four or five pianos on Monday-Friday, then absolutely. As for right now, I don't charge extra for weekends or weird hours... I actually prefer working at night, anyway.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
We are all different. Anybody who ever went to school or did a factory or office job will have the 9-5 mentality out of pure habit. Some manage to transcend it. Some are naturally early risers, others are useless until noon. I gave up a very lucrative career because I ceased to be a late night person. ( i don't know that I ever really was, but I was young enough not to know or care). There was a time I avoided tuning after4 pm in the suburbs in summer because that was when most neighborhood formation lawn mowing teams were active.

Everybody is different and enjoys working the hours that suit them. Thats one of the perks of piano work. The whole universe has conspired to give me work that is tailored to my lifestyle. I work holidays and weekends freely so that my colleagues can have time with their families. My family of choice keeps hours much like mine, my family of origin is largely retired.

Whether we charge extra for working outside our comfortable hours again depends on the particular person. Some are fearless and free with their time, others are fearful and grasping. We can't make rules for each other.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
From the other side of the fence - as a pianist and owner.

I would fully expect that there would be an additional charge for services outside of standard business hours.

One of the techs that I use has "barber's hours." His days off are Sun. & Mon. There is no extra charge for scheduled tunings on Saturday.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by rxd
We are all different. Anybody who ever went to school or did a factory or office job will have the 9-5 mentality out of pure habit. Some manage to transcend it. Some are naturally early risers, others are useless until noon. I gave up a very lucrative career because I ceased to be a late night person. ( i don't know that I ever really was, but I was young enough not to know or care). There was a time I avoided tuning after4 pm in the suburbs in summer because that was when most neighborhood formation lawn mowing teams were active.

A good perspective. My suggestion remains, though.

If someone's "normal" hours are 4-11pm Tue-Sun, it would be appropriate for them to charge extra for 9am Monday. The point being that we organize our business life according to some format or plan for greatest convenience/efficiency. Providing a "non-plan" service typically represents some kind of greater effort or sacrifice that should be compensated.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
... There is no extra charge for scheduled tunings on Saturday.
Scheduled tunings?? I don't think I have ever, in almost 30 years, done any unscheduled tunings. They were all scheduled. What am I missing?

JG

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well Jurgen,

How about someone who calls on Saturday, experiencing traumatic disintunation, and insists that the tuner come over during lunch hour. That would be un-scheduled and would command and increased fee if the tuner accepted the job.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Nope. Not me. We tilt the schedule to accomodate the 20-25 tunings weekly and if/when we need to make an evening happen (or occasionally Saturdays) we do so happily. People, in our experience, appreciate one simple price.

I don't work Sundays tuning (ever) and late evenings either...but from the 9am to 9pm timeframe we have a simple single price strategy and it seems to be working to keep everybody happy.

PS We DO charge more for last minute work that is event centered and requires either travel outside our area OR extra hours to complete...of course...

FWIW

RPD

Last edited by RPD; 03/29/13 04:59 PM.

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If the client call in the morning and says: "Please come at noon to such and such an address", and I say yes, then it is a scheduled appointment, albeit an appointment scheduled at short notice. The moment I write down a name, address and phone # in my day-timer, I have scheduled an appointment.

An unscheduled tuning would be if I show up unannounced. I suppose this could happen, if for example an institution asks me to drop by some time in the next few weeks to tune. But even then I would always ask for a specific time to make sure I have access to the room and quiet for my work. I can't speak for others, but I don't do "unscheduled" service calls, and I don't know of anyone who does.

Last edited by Supply; 03/29/13 09:04 PM.

JG
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
One of the best things in this business is you can set your own hours, and you can set your own rates. Some techs charge more for odd hours, but I think most charge the same amount, especially if the evening appointments are scheduled in advance, and on route with other tunings.

Where extra costs are incurred, I would imagine an extra charge is warranted. An out of town emergency tuning would be charged extra by most, I would think.... A tuning 100 miles round trip should be charged higher than one in town. A higher cost demands a higher fee.

This is a service business which means you have to be available when clients are. If that means Saturdays, Sundays, 5am, or 7pm, that's what you do - or you miss out on work.

I always make up for odd hours with extra days off. It's the best part of this business.

N
N
Here is the thing about that. I have been exposed to this business since I was about 7 years old. I think I have the same attitude as many other people who grew up in a family business like some of my childhood friends who grew up in the food or produce business'

There is a very fine line between building a good reputable business and just flat out being taken advantage of. You need to set hours to stick to and perhaps do something like Vetrenarians do with an after hours emergency call.

If you just work 20 hour days then you will be expected to do that 7 days a week until it has consumed your life. This past January while others were making new years resolutions to lose weight or never eat another piece of white bread I made one to not be taken advantage of this year.

It may seem like a brash decision or sound cold but if you enjoy the work then you want to continue to enjoy it not get burned out. Set hours of operation and stick to it. You will thank yourself later.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
Here is the thing about that. I have been exposed to this business since I was about 7 years old. I think I have the same attitude as many other people who grew up in a family business like some of my childhood friends who grew up in the food or produce business'

There is a very fine line between building a good reputable business and just flat out being taken advantage of. You need to set hours to stick to and perhaps do something like Vetrenarians do with an after hours emergency call.

If you just work 20 hour days then you will be expected to do that 7 days a week until it has consumed your life. This past January while others were making new years resolutions to lose weight or never eat another piece of white bread I made one to not be taken advantage of this year.

It may seem like a brash decision or sound cold but if you enjoy the work then you want to continue to enjoy it not get burned out. Set hours of operation and stick to it. You will thank yourself later.

Absolutely bang on!
thumb

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission