Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
61 registered members (ando, AZ_Astro, 2Keys, Anita Potter, 24 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2058413 - 04/02/13 05:22 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 7,439
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 7,439
Rochester MN
Originally Posted by shaolin95
I always say I saw it on History Channel. laugh

Long Live Liberace!

Now, even the museum has died. [Linked Image]


Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2058466 - 04/02/13 09:31 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,394
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,394
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by shaolin95
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I would move the piano so the long straight side of the piano is parallel to the railing (banister) ... and the player is seated with their back to the wall.

I wouldn't want to face the wall, I'd rather face the open room and\or the window.

So the tail is facing the wall ..another interesting idea. I need to create a 3D view of this probably. smile


I like that idea. Creating a 3D view is nice too--it will save wear and tear on everyone.


Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2058468 - 04/02/13 09:34 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 564
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
supersport  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 564
Arkansas
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck


David



#2058489 - 04/02/13 11:11 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: supersport]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by supersport
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck


I just finished doing some lame renderings with another program but I will give that one a try tomorrow too! smile
Its funny but with the program, I made sure to get accurate measurements but somehow everything seems to fit better LOL
Even a 6-1' fits...if a bit tight laugh
Here are my not so awesome renderings...the "carpet" floor is there to show when the carpet ends and the kitchen/dinning room tiles begin.

First with the Y150 I have:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then with the Y185 (in reality my goal was always a 6 footer but I am not sure if I want to change any time soon or maybe will max out at the 5-9...we shall see). In any case, I wanted to see how it will look.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]






*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2058538 - 04/03/13 02:51 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,120
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,120
Vught, The Netherlands
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.




website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
#2058546 - 04/03/13 03:14 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 38
maestro57 Offline
Full Member
maestro57  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 38
Canada
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

#2058585 - 04/03/13 07:09 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: maestro57]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.

I actually did a rendering and it was not bad on the 3d image but I just prefer the front of the piano to be facing the room instead. smile

Originally Posted by maestro57
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

Excellent idea. Not sure how to pick just one! smile Maybe Beethoven as my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement (well all movements).


*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
#2058592 - 04/03/13 07:43 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 373
Schubertslieder Offline
Full Member
Schubertslieder  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 373
Michigan, USA
Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.


Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
#2058593 - 04/03/13 07:44 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 7,439
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 7,439
Rochester MN
Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!


Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
#2058599 - 04/03/13 07:56 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Minnesota Marty]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by Schubertslieder
Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.


Thanks for the recommendation and comment. Yeah looking at that rendering it kind of gives me the same idea of liking that corner placement at this time. smile

Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!


hahahahah awesome.
Width is 10'-8", length is 12'-8". The railing is 9-6" long.

The window is 48" x 48" and the door standard 36" wide.

Like almost centered with that living room area you will have the Kitchen countertop with the dinning table to the left of it if you were facing towards the piano.
I can add pics later to show it all. smile


Thanks a lot!


*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
#2058616 - 04/03/13 08:36 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Dave Horne]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,394
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,394
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Love your renderings!

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.


I still want to see this one.


Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2058623 - 04/03/13 08:59 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: malkin]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by malkin
Love your renderings!

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.


I still want to see this one.


I wish they looked better but they do help give an idea of things..easier than moving stuff around.
Ok I will post that other rendering later for sure. smile


*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
#2058624 - 04/03/13 09:00 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
BobInAZ Offline
Full Member
BobInAZ  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
I like the ones with the piano jammed in the corner with the keys at an angle.

Bob


Kawai RX-2 Blak
Casio PX-350
#2058626 - 04/03/13 09:04 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,983
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,983
boston north
Love decorating!

Right now, the look is all legs. And nothing compliments. Too stiff. So I like your rendering pic 3. It breaks the legs and squareness look! And is still welcoming you at the keyboard.

One table near the piano. One table near the couch.

Cover them with a nice antique throw/taspestry.

Put the picture going down the stairs.

Put a taspetry/ fabric artpiece on the wall behind the piano. That will physically lengthen the height and be good for the acoustics.

Can the couch also be angled? similar and opposite the new piano location? Right now it looks square to the door but also looks like it blocks off the feng shui entrance to the home.

Yes on a bookcase or something to put music in.

Yes on a floor lamp by the piano.

Have fun with it. Break out of the box. If you don't like it, you can always move it again!


"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#2058630 - 04/03/13 09:13 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,555
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bob Newbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,555
If you don't have many visitors then the piano, like Bob in AZ recommends is best..
but if on the other hand you will have an audience its best to run parallel..
I noticed there isn't that much distance between the door and the piano, or is this due
to the program your using? don't forget the chairs... smile

#2058633 - 04/03/13 09:18 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: lilylady]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by BobInAZ
I like the ones with the piano jammed in the corner with the keys at an angle.

Bob

I am almost decided to go with it..really growing on me. smile
Originally Posted by lilylady
Love decorating!

Right now, the look is all legs. And nothing compliments. Too stiff. So I like your rendering pic 3. It breaks the legs and squareness look! And is still welcoming you at the keyboard.

One table near the piano. One table near the couch.

Cover them with a nice antique throw/taspestry.

Put the picture going down the stairs.

Put a taspetry/ fabric artpiece on the wall behind the piano. That will physically lengthen the height and be good for the acoustics.

Can the couch also be angled? similar and opposite the new piano location? Right now it looks square to the door but also looks like it blocks off the feng shui entrance to the home.

Yes on a bookcase or something to put music in.

Yes on a floor lamp by the piano.

Have fun with it. Break out of the box. If you don't like it, you can always move it again!


Very nice suggestions and I am surely taking notes of all this. I am not going with the SOFA though. I am going with smaller chairs which I think will make it look more spacious and can be angled as recommended by Marty before. smile


*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
#2058640 - 04/03/13 09:40 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]  
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 589
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thrill Science  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 589
California
I like the last option, with the piano angled and open toward the stairway rail. (But I think your render has the topstick in the wrong hole. Other pianists have made the same mistake.)

Last edited by Thrill Science; 04/03/13 09:41 AM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
#2058645 - 04/03/13 09:47 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Thrill Science]  
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
shaolin95 Offline
Full Member
shaolin95  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
If you don't have many visitors then the piano, like Bob in AZ recommends is best..
but if on the other hand you will have an audience its best to run parallel..
I noticed there isn't that much distance between the door and the piano, or is this due
to the program your using? don't forget the chairs... smile


Not really expecting any audiences so that part is not a problem. smile

MMM that door is rarely used and just partially opened but it does not get near the piano..guess my rendering is a bit off on that side. smile
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
I like the last option, with the piano angled and open toward the stairway rail. (But I think your render has the topstick in the wrong hole. Other pianists have made the same mistake.)


Seems to me that the angled view is really becoming the favorite. I had my doubts until I did the rendering. Oh the model was taken from the internet..I have no skills for that laugh

PS:I just made a big mistake! I tested the Y185! laugh Oh that bass... smile

Last edited by shaolin95; 04/03/13 12:55 PM.

*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about Accidentals and Dynamics
by Batuhan. 11/24/17 05:55 PM
2017 Piano Library Discussion
by Jay017. 11/24/17 05:44 PM
Kawai CA67 owners - is the stereo correct?
by Ben Crosland. 11/24/17 02:51 PM
Tonal and Rhytmic Principles by John Mehegan
by James in NoVa. 11/24/17 01:12 PM
HiFiMAN HE-400i headphones - Incredible deal
by Max_Forte. 11/24/17 12:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,928
Posts2,674,096
Members89,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0