2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

The problem with going black and white is your flooring color. The carpet is a warm tone, and it doesn't really help the stark black & white contrast idea. I would work around the two colors you (probably) aren't going to change: the carpet and your piano.

I would eliminate the two table and have the only thing on that wall be your piano. Rotate it 90 degree so that the bench is near the window and it opens out into the room. This will make the piano the focal point.

Find a warm color for the walls if you can paint them. Nothing too dark, as it seems there is only the one window for light? You can probably do pretty much any color you'd like and make it work. Then find another color to contrast that, but one that goes with it, depending on your style tastes. I wouldn't go with an overly bright color unless you want it to be very festive.

Take a look at a lot of pictures online. There doesn't have to be a piano in it for the colors to work. Your piano will pretty much match anything! I generally think of a style of decorating I like for inspiration, and then the colors come from that. For example, if you want a southewestern look, you'd pick colors with bright oranges, tans, and yellows in contrast with purples and deep blues, with wood that has a rich red mahogany stain but a somewhat distressed look.

Head to the paint store and pick up booklets that they have with color combinations and pictures of them in a room already picked out for you. Bring them back to this room and see what the color swatches look like in there at different times of the day because the natural lighting of a room will change the paint color slightly.

This makes a lot of sense but painting the walls was not in my plan so I will have to evaluate the decor options again. I guess I was kind of ignoring the carpet in my mind laugh
Good points!
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Aha - Photos added!

I was thinking back to your thread photos, when the piano first arrived, and the room was not visible.

OK - Here is the totally blunt, very direct, and just my own design sense. And the best part, I can pretend that I'm spending your money!

Tiny Violin - Cute but Gone

Both Oak Tables - Wrong color and style - Gone

Taupe Sof-ette Thingy - Gone

Rotate - Piano flat with wall, tail close to railing.

Replace - Mini-Violin with full size, pawn shop cheapo instrument of choice. (save mini-viol for Christmas tree)

Add - Black lacquer (semi-gloss) music cabinet below 'instrument,' between door and window. Doors preferred.

Add - Two small club chairs, preferably barrel-back, upholstered in burgundy or oxblood micro-fiber. (leather, if you want the "guy-thing.")

Add - Small round end table in black with brass trim. Could also be glass top with brass frame.

Add - Contemporary Torchiere lamp at bass end of piano for music desk light.

Replace (or paint) - Fan Blades in black and get simpler light kit. I also like the idea of spots, rather than bulbs.

Move - Humidifier to floor in corner by window, behind bench.

Plunk - Several large potted plants in appropriate places. (Good for humidity)

Assess - Drapery and artwork for scale and style. I would tend toward black/white for art above piano (your's might work well) and drapery in same color as chairs.

Shop Carefully and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Have fun! - (I did)

grin

Tiny Violin - yep actually I was going to remove those screws and ended up putting it up there no idea why laugh

Both Oak Tables - Yeah totally off and must leave! smile

Taupe Sof-ette Thingy - Yeah...another "matching" decor laugh

"Rotate - Piano flat with wall, tail close to railing" Ah second recommendation in a row to do this. I am guessing I will have other sonical benefits too..maybe bass reinforcement from the wall and less reflection of sounds since it will open to a longer area before reaching the next wall...maybe smile

"Replace - Mini-Violin with full size, pawn shop cheapo instrument of choice." Actually that is funny cause I was looking at a black electric guitar yesterday and thinking it might look nice there since it was black..but maybe a violin fits the piano better. smile

"Add - Black lacquer (semi-gloss) music cabinet below 'instrument,' between door and window. Doors preferred." Ok so I must choose wisely here so they look good together.

At work so cannot comment on all but WOW that is one detailed advice amigo. I cannot thank you enough and everyone else as well that is helping here.
So it seems piano on that new position is what makes most sense now. I guess I better ask the delivery guys to help to avoid accidents.
So this is the 4'11 model, I guess in that room there is no hope of going any bigger ..or even a need? My goal was to upgrade eventually but not sure if I really need it.

I have a lot to research today with all this information.
Again, cannot thank you enough. Just got a totally new perspective now. smile

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The carpet color doesn't bother me at all. It is sooooo neutral that it does disappear, to my eye anyway. I'm a little bit bugged by the balcony/staircase rail, however. But, then again, it's so much fun to spend your money.

Paint? Maybe down the road, but there are other things to put in line first! Keep wall color in mind, however.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Addendum -

For "instrument" on wall. An old french horn can become a great ivy planter. Bell must be bent to hang flush with wall. Brass accent would be great!

Stairwell wall needs decoration. Big Stuff!

Shaolin, do you own the unit or rent?

Renting for now but I have been here about 4 years now and I feel like is a place I can stay at and just buy it because is a quite, small town, all other homes have good distance from mine , a garage to each side to make it even better, so I can play at any time, or run my basement HT room with dual subwoofers at any volume without issues. Just too good smile

Originally Posted by malkin
I'd take out all the furniture and explore moving the piano as others have suggested.

Then put stuff back in in a way that creates some diagonals and circles. The room will still have right angles because of it's shape, you do not need to add to them.

Remember to consider the rule of thirds!

Yes moving the piano is not my first priority indeed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
Remove furniture! choose the best angle for the piano..use 2 chairs instead of sofa, you need shelves
the room is small, less clutter the better..

Agree. Will do that as soon as figure how I want the piano placed.

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Well, let's start by taking away. The end tables do not go with the piano in color or style. You may find a new home for them. You will need shelves for music scores, so you might replace them with two short shelves (two or three shelves high; tall freestanding shelves can fall over), with a dark stain that harmonizes with the piano's black.

The couch appears to be a back seat from a car. Your mother is right, that a suitably handsome short couch could replace it. But wait--- the room is not big, and you might consider what else is essential before you go shopping.

First and foremost, a nice lamp for the piano. I like my balance-arm lamp, which has a polished black stone base. Or, with the low ceiling, you might go with a hanging lamp, or with can lights in the ceiling with eyeball directional fittings, on a dimmer.

I had that same Chinese-made no-name bench. You will find that it will be somewhat unstable, especially in a carpeted room, and that it will not last. Consider a Jansen artist bench.

For wall decorations, you might consider a nicely framed print that picks up the grand piano theme. Real musical instruments can make a handsome and unusual wall display. You may find them at pawn shops, or ask at places which repair musical instruments for pieces which are not repairable, and which would otherwise be discarded. One caution: beware of things which might rattle with vibrations from the piano, such as tambourines.

I find that it is very handy to have a side table next to the keyboard, for scores, recording console, placing beverages or anything else (which is, anything at all) that shouldn't go on the piano. I found some handy wheeled ones at an office store, with dark 'wood' surfaces.

That will pretty much use up your room. But there is more: if you record, there are mikes, console or computer, speakers, cabling to consider. If you use a DP, there is the instrument, its stand and light (your present bench might serve there), headphones. If you have ensemble members in, room for their music stands and instrument racks will be needed. Maybe that short couch with low end tables will be handy in that case. Or, cabinets rather than tables; your gear will have to go somewhere when not in use.

This low ceilinged kind of room can look well with torchiere uplighting, which pushes it outward, visually... though, with carpet, the less things you put on it, the easier it will be to vacuum. You might at least take the light fixture off the ceiling fan (or even replace the whole thing, for one with dark wood fan blades). It's true the room will need area lighting at times, but it doesn't have to look like a cow's udders.

I think it's a nice room for a practice piano. It appears to be new construction, so I wouldn't do too much with painting, etc, until a need becomes clear. Possibly, you could replace the builders' standard doorknob with something nicer-looking. That is an easy way to make an impact.

Thanks a ton for taking the time for all those details amigo!

Yes I am actually liking the idea of real instruments as decorations!
I havent noticed any stability issues with the bench. I am not very heavy and the carpet is the thinnest carpet in the world! laugh Dont think they could find anything cheaper LOL

As for recording, I just need to place a tripod for the camera and will be recording with a Zoom H2N. Do not expect any other people recording with me there at all. It is my private room basically.
The only thing placing the piano against the wall affects is that I thought it was cool to see the piano front to the world, instead of the side. And also having it there means I can no longer try my idea of using different camera angles when recording, as I will not be able to move to the left side of the piano.
Those are my only concerns on that position but it does seem to blend better that way in my mind already.
Regards

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would move the piano so the long straight side of the piano is parallel to the railing (banister) ... and the player is seated with their back to the wall.

I wouldn't want to face the wall, I'd rather face the open room and\or the window.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I would move the piano so the long straight side of the piano is parallel to the railing (banister) ... and the player is seated with their back to the wall.

I wouldn't want to face the wall, I'd rather face the open room and\or the window.

So the tail is facing the wall ..another interesting idea. I need to create a 3D view of this probably. smile

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Don't forget this:

[Linked Image]

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ah, the candelabra. That opens up all sorts of clothing options.

Marty in Minnesota

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Don't forget this:

[Linked Image]

hahaah nice laugh
I do not place ANYTHING on top of my piano though..I am that type of person laugh

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And a good person you are! I still like the idea of sequined dinner jackets, but you might be too young to get the reference.

Marty in Minnesota

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
And a good person you are! I still like the idea of sequined dinner jackets, but you might be too young to get the reference.

And if I werent young enough then I would lie about it too. I always say I saw it on History Channel. laugh

PS To move the piano you think I need 3 people in total or 2 might be able to do it? Don't want to break anything smile

Last edited by shaolin95; 04/02/13 05:03 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by shaolin95
I always say I saw it on History Channel. laugh

Long Live Liberace!

Now, even the museum has died. [Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by shaolin95

So the tail is facing the wall ..another interesting idea. I need to create a 3D view of this probably. smile

I like that idea. Creating a 3D view is nice too--it will save wear and tear on everyone.

Learner
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck

David

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by supersport
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck

I just finished doing some lame renderings with another program but I will give that one a try tomorrow too! smile
Its funny but with the program, I made sure to get accurate measurements but somehow everything seems to fit better LOL
Even a 6-1' fits...if a bit tight laugh
Here are my not so awesome renderings...the "carpet" floor is there to show when the carpet ends and the kitchen/dinning room tiles begin.

First with the Y150 I have:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then with the Y185 (in reality my goal was always a 6 footer but I am not sure if I want to change any time soon or maybe will max out at the 5-9...we shall see). In any case, I wanted to see how it will look.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
M
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.

I actually did a rendering and it was not bad on the 3d image but I just prefer the front of the piano to be facing the room instead. smile

Originally Posted by maestro57
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

Excellent idea. Not sure how to pick just one! smile Maybe Beethoven as my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement (well all movements).

Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!

Marty in Minnesota

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Schubertslieder
Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.

Thanks for the recommendation and comment. Yeah looking at that rendering it kind of gives me the same idea of liking that corner placement at this time. smile

Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!

hahahahah awesome.
Width is 10'-8", length is 12'-8". The railing is 9-6" long.

The window is 48" x 48" and the door standard 36" wide.

Like almost centered with that living room area you will have the Kitchen countertop with the dinning table to the left of it if you were facing towards the piano.
I can add pics later to show it all. smile

Thanks a lot!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission