2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I always heard that Baldwin was once the best piano sometime ago, but then went into bankruptcy and got bought by a Chinese company.

I recently saw a Baldwin M1 Artist Series that had been used for about $14,500. The owner said he couldn't find the papers or any results on-line relating to the age.

Is this Baldwin just an Asian piano with a Baldwin name? I heard that this piano is one of the more popular baby grands.

Thanks to everyone!

Seriously, what? I know from your recent posts you are buying a grand piano. Why don't you just play the instrument and decide for yourself. Unless you are buying it based on a brand name, don't, cause your non-musician friends won't know any better and won't give a damn. (Do you also have some bias against Asian piano makers. If so I will disapoint you now and tell you they make some fine pianos, at the high end and the other end where they would be great value for the money for those lacking it).

Now if you play and cannot tell the difference between pianos then ask yourself what are you spending the extra money for, cause surely as a young man you can spend it towards other things in life.

(And for the story about the used Balwin, if it sounds fishy then don't risk it, there are thousands of used pianos out there, the one you are considering with that special story isn't that "special". Don't get swindled. I am only saying this cause from reading your posts you sound like a clueless teenager. And I don't mean all teenagers are clueless. Just you.)

Casio Privia PX-150

J
OP Offline
J
Well, I guess I just like hearing others opinions, I'm so indecisive I rely on others for decisions.
I guess this is one of those situations where I have to decide myself.
Nvm then, this thread is aboandoned :P

Last edited by Jason Zhao; 03/29/13 08:13 PM.
And don't be such a push over. No need to abandon the thread, just wait and get a couple of more opinions. You might learn something new. A grand piano is an expensive purchase for most, best have all the info and get what you want.

Casio Privia PX-150

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by adak
And don't be such a push over. No need to abandon the thread, just wait and get a couple of more opinions. You might learn something new. A grand piano is an expensive purchase for most, best have all the info and get what you want.
Pretty obnoxious as was your first post in the thread.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jason Zhao
I always heard that Baldwin was once the best piano sometime ago,

Baldwin was never, by any means, "the best piano". There is no "best piano", and if there were, it would not have been Baldwin.

but then went into bankruptcy and got bought by a Chinese company.

No. It is an American company, and went into Bankruptcy twice. The last time, it was purchased by Gibson. Baldwin did purchase a factory in China, but still built pianos in the US until 2008.

I recently saw a Baldwin M1 Artist Series that had been used for about $14,500. The owner said he couldn't find the papers or any results on-line relating to the age.

Is this Baldwin just an Asian piano with a Baldwin name? I heard that this piano is one of the more popular baby grands.

No. The M1 Artist Series was always a US-built product. You can differentiate Chinese-built from American-built based on whether or not there is a "c" over the "i" in Baldwin.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Pretty obnoxious as was your first post in the thread.

Every post Adak makes is obnoxious.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Jason -

There should be a serial number clearly visible inside the piano. If you can get the serial number - you can find the piano's approximate age (see link).

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm#BALDWIN

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Seriously, what? I know from your recent posts you are buying a grand piano. Why don't you just play the instrument and decide for yourself. Unless you are buying it based on a brand name, don't, cause your non-musician friends won't know any better and won't give a damn. (Do you also have some bias against Asian piano makers. If so I will disapoint you now and tell you they make some fine pianos, at the high end and the other end where they would be great value for the money for those lacking it).

Now if you play and cannot tell the difference between pianos then ask yourself what are you spending the extra money for, cause surely as a young man you can spend it towards other things in life.

(And for the story about the used Balwin, if it sounds fishy then don't risk it, there are thousands of used pianos out there, the one you are considering with that special story isn't that "special". Don't get swindled. I am only saying this cause from reading your posts you sound like a clueless teenager. And I don't mean all teenagers are clueless. Just you.)

Adak,

I’m actually not familiar with you as a member on the piano forum… you must hang out mostly on another forum here on PW.

Anyway, I’m inclined to agree with others that your post here is over the top in terms of being rude and obnoxious. I would caution you to be a little more considerate in regards to the tone of your posts.

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
The impression I've gotten is the US made Baldwins (the Artist series later on) had a pretty good reputation right up to the end. It seems like they more or less maintained that "Baldwin sound" throughout, but did have some quality issues the later you get making it particularly important to get a thorough inspection by an independent tech. Someone here (or on the tech forum) can probably give you a better idea about specific things to have checked carefully. I seem to recall one of the concerns was changes made to the bridge, which can be problematic over time on some of them.

FWIW I think its smart to gather as many opinions and information as you can regarding a purchase this significant. Ultimately what matters most is how it sounds and feels to you (and the backing of an evaluation by a tech you trust is like a little insurance against a big disappointment), but it certainly doesn't hurt to go into it as educated as possible wink

Best of Luck!

Rob

Originally Posted by Rickster

Adak,

I’m actually not familiar with you as a member on the piano forum… you must hang out mostly on another forum here on PW.

Anyway, I’m inclined to agree with others that your post here is over the top in terms of being rude and obnoxious. I would caution you to be a little more considerate in regards to the tone of your posts.

Rickster

If I could help a young boy who is vulnerable and inexperienced be better off, then I feel it is worth it. That is how I see it, I do consider him when I write my responses, he only deserves honest advice and nothing less.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
@adak: I don't know. On one hand, yes, your posts did have some real advice in them. And if you truly believe that you're trying to help the guy, that's great. On the other hand, you can do it without sounding like an Internet hooligan. I don't really care what you post/do at the end of the day - that's your choice - but it's not hard to be less offensive. At least you stand by what you say.

OT: I was just playing a Baldwin grand the other day. I don't know if it's U.S. made or Chinese, or the year, or the exact model (unfortunately). But it played like a dream. The sound was superb and crisp and the key action was light and responsive. For comparison/reference: I'm used to the crappy, cheap GHS action of my Yamaha P85 digital, and I've owned a Wurlitzer Spinet before. So I'm used to a very light action on my digital and a very heavy clumsy action on the Spinet. But the Baldwin was a dream! I would buy it in a heartbeat. The only caveat is that the sustain pedal was strangely difficult to depress. I've never had that problem with, say, the Yamahas or Petroff uprights I've played. If it's any help/indication about the model, on the fallboard was printed "...designed by Steinway and Sons" on the right-hand side.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Dwscamel,

It would seem that you were playing a Boston, rather than a Baldwin.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I just thought about it. You're right. Oops!

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This should give you an overview of Baldwin history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS4JmhpgOJw

R
R
I will be the devil's advocate here :-) I found much sense in adak's post.

Jason, I did a very extensive passive research on pianos last year when I was looking. I did not ask questions of PW as you are doing, but gosh, I read up everything I could find on PW that seemed relevant. Between PW and PB, I wrote charts with price ranges, and brand positions, blah blah ... I looked at eBay and CL to get ideas about used piano prices. When I finally went to the stores, it all went out the window. The research was still a good set of guidelines for the purchase process, but its no substitute to going and playing the pianos. Comparing pianos across stores is hard enough (likely impossible unless you are an expert who knows exactly what they are looking for regarding touch and tone). Comparing them in the cyberspace is good for developing guideline, but please don't make a decision based of this process.

Last edited by rlinkt; 03/30/13 01:25 PM.
B
BGJ Offline
B
I think American Baldwins can be some of the best pianos out there, they have a wonderful "dark" American tone. However, 5'-2" is very small and I recommend you consider larger used grands. The tone improves significantly with size. Baldwin L's (6'-3")are very nice and you may find an older used one for 15K or possibly even less. Always have the best independent piano tech you can find check it out.

Online Content
Originally Posted by rlinkt
I will be the devil's advocate here :-) I found much sense in adak's post.
It's the horrendous tone of the post, arrogant put downs, and unnecessary insults that posters have objected to... and rightly so.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/30/13 09:13 PM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
A well made Baldwin M will outperform a Steinway S in dynamic range, and clarity across the compass.

In todays market a GOOD baldwin M, R, L, or F is among the best used piano bargains you will find. The recent company turmoil has tarnished the brand even back to when they were well made.

Have any particular prospect inspected by a Tech skilled in tone regulation to know what you are buying.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
A well made Baldwin M will outperform a Steinway S in dynamic range, and clarity across the compass.

And many of the newer designs out perform both of them!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission