2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Here's the press release for the event:

Greek Composer Nikolaos Sideris won first prize in the 2nd International Composition Competition Artistes en Herbe. Supported by Luxembourg Ministry of Culture, the prestigious competition attracted more than 220 entries from 17 countries.

The prolific composer, owner of the Musica Ferrum Publishing House which focuses on Contemporary Concert Hall Music, won the Competition with Piano Stories, for piano 4 hands, a work already published by Musica Ferrum, available worldwide on selected music stores and on the House’s online store.

Piano Stories will be performed in a Gala Concert, following the award ceremony, organized in collaboration with the Conservatory of Luxemburg City.

Nikolaos Sideris has been invited to join the judging committee for the 2015 Artistes en Herbe Competition.

You can listen to the full work, with me and Greek pianist Myrto Akrivou in the following youtube video:

And, if I may spam a bit:
  • Buy the recording from CDBaby, or iTunes, or Amazon
  • Buy the score from our website, or grab a bundle of two copies (being a duet) for 33,33% less from HERE
  • Finally, you can always share the news with anyone interest. The video with the full performance is a fine way to do that, without the need for anyone to buy anything...

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And in a separate post I'd like to say that I'm extremely happy with this! Not only I won the prize (which includes a nice sum of money as well as the fame that comes with it), but the work seems to be appreciated from anyone who listens... I do hope to get quite a few performances this and the next year... Who knows... perhaps it will be a part of the duo repertoire...

Here's to wishing...

EDIT: But I do need to thank the pianist you see on the video, Myrto Akrivou. She did a great job. Not only she played her part, took part in the video, but she offered suggestions for the performance (to which I'll admit that I think that composers generally do a lousy job performing their own works), and even proposed a couple of things, very timidly, for the music and scores which I accepted straight away. Thus the score has a dedication for her! smile

And the score wouldn't be complete without the artwork from Piero Pierini. The guy is a real artist and is doing an amazing job! If you visit the links you can preview pages of the score and can see examples of his art. It's incredible, if I may say so...

I doubt that I would've won if it wasn't for these two people! So, while I know that most likely they won't be reading this: Thank you! ^_^

Last edited by Nikolas; 03/29/13 04:38 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations!!!

This is the Composers Forum after all. The award wasn't for piano playing or teaching, so this is the proper place for it. I'm sure that many, especially those that pass through quickly, never read the teacher or pianist forums.

Let me add how much I admire Nikolas for being so patient with the many beginner and amateur composers on this section, answering their questions, listening to their compositions. It is more remarkable in light of his new lofty perch as award winner. It took me quite a while on Piano World before I learned just how accomplished the new award winner was, and that was before this latest award.

So congratulations again.

Party on dudes and dudettes...

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Again, I am very pleased for you, Nikolas, and I hope the success will open more professional doors for you.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Double Congratulations!

* for winning with your compositions
* For making a actual performance what works. Composing is one, playing it is yet another thing !

It's not really my taste yet I liked your performance. So, great work.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Let me add how much I admire Nikolas for being so patient with the many beginner and amateur composers on this section, answering their questions, listening to their compositions. It is more remarkable in light of his new lofty perch as award winner. It took me quite a while on Piano World before I learned just how accomplished the new award winner was, and that was before this latest award.
Thank you SO MUCH for this!

It really means a lot!

You see I started using the Internet at a rather late stage of my life, around 10 years ago... (so at the age of 25 already, which is a tad late). I was introduced to a great online community (which still have my homepage) and I learned so much from them... I still get to ask them no matter what it is. They just help out!

And thus this is how I 'grew up' in the internet: Hoping to help out... smile I hope that I'll be able to carry on doing that, even though this March has been insane and I was unable to keep up at all with the March DEPOSITORY thread... so sorry about that! smile

A
A
Congrats Nikolas smile

Congradulations! This is very exciting!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
...composers generally do a lousy job performing their own works),

Chopin? Liszt? Rachmaninoff?

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

... are definitely exceptions. It seems these days that composing has become somewhat removed from performing. I know that I could spend many hours honing my playing abilities or I can spend time composing. I've spent a lot of time learning my own pieces, but there are only 24 hours in a day and I need to sleep.

I seem to recall already congratulating Nikolas on this. Is this a new thread? If not then my apologies for not stating this before, Congratulations Nikolas, I listened to your piece and really enjoyed it. That's some wonderful work.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 05/01/13 10:00 AM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

This is quite annoying, and idiotic. This thread is supposed to give signs of my joy about the award, etc. I already had made a thread in PC (where Steve posted, so it's ok ;)), but Sand tiger made another thread here in the composers forum to prompt me to make one here as well. And thus I did.

And I explained a few things to my way of thinking, and did even add the word "generally" to show that it's not 100% that this is happening.

Yet, all you had to say was this?

Generally I try to ignore people like you, but in this case and in this thread I made an exception! don't count on me cross posting you anymore!

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
I seem to recall already congratulating Nikolas on this. Is this a new thread? If not then my apologies for not stating this before, Congratulations Nikolas, I listened to your piece and really enjoyed it. That's some wonderful work.
This is a new thread and you've already congratulated me in PC. But thanks again. Mark brought it back "to light" (Thanks Mark!)...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Nikolas! What a wondeful accomplishment! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is pretty awesome. Good job.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Generally I try to ignore people like you, but in this case and in this thread I made an exception! don't count on me cross posting you anymore!

Please do ignore me. I will not miss your posts.

Do you understand the meaning of the term "cross post"?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nikolas: I try to avoid jumping into things between other people, but sometimes.....

There was nothing wrong with Poly's post here. I think you must have taken it some wrong way, probably because of a mindset from other discussions (probably justified) grin but I think here it led you a little astray. His post was just a small humorous observation (which made me smile). I doubt he meant to crap on you. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Please do ignore me. I will not miss your posts.

I certainly enjoy his posts. Nikolas is one of the best contributors to these forums.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoelW
I certainly enjoy his posts. Nikolas is one of the best contributors to these forums.
thumb

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by JoelW
thumb

thumb thumb

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C

There was nothing wrong with Poly's post here. I think you must have taken it some wrong way, probably because of a mindset from other discussions (probably justified) grin but I think here it led you a little astray. His post was just a small humorous observation (which made me smile). I doubt he meant to crap on you. smile

That's also how I took it, which is why I made an attempt to explain it. I also think Nikolas may have been showing a bit of self deprecation because it's pretty obvious he's a heckuva player. To bring the concept to present day Steven Hough has composed some pretty amazing piano music and lo and behold he plays them quite well. Still I stand by my assertion that both occupations are full time endeavors.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission