2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2056003 03/29/13 02:06 AM
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
Has anyone seen Anderson & Roe's video of their two-piano transcription of Schubert's "Erlkönig"?

I'm at a loss for seriously critical words but "astounding," "brilliant artistry" "over-the-top," "bottom of the barrel," "trash," "ho-hum," "boring," or just "the usual A&R mess ..."

Fleeing Steinways (can you blame them?), breaking casters, stealthy but killer piano wires, carnivorous grands, enough perspiration to fill a bathroom sink, oil spills ... what? oil spills, you say? No, that's black vampire blood! Ooooh! Coolest!

Wow! What?

Last edited by BruceD; 03/29/13 02:10 AM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xH4uKPDAEE

I really want classical musicians to do things outside the usual ritual of performance. But I hate hate hate Anderson and Roe; I can't even stand to look at them when they play!

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1. I don't get it. What happened in the film? They got eaten by the pianos?

2. I didn't like the performance too much.

3. I also do not like A&R really that much. I did send them a link to my piano duets, but they didn't reply! grin

Really, I'm all in favor of doing a great video clip for classical music, after all why not? But this is over the top and rather ridiculous...

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I didn't like it but I liked it. I don't care for that many camera angle cuts and some of the imagery didn't work for me but I'd like to see more efforts of this type.

BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
In some ways I think Anderson and Roe are a potentially very good piano duo. What I have not liked about their videos :
- many of the earlier videos are about Anderson and Roe more than they are about the music, as in : look how cute/clever we are!
- this latest video seems to be all about the imagery and, again, less about the music.

I think it's a shame that musicianship is marketed - I was going to say "wasted" - in this way.

On the other hand, there's always the argument that if this brings in more viewers of/listeners to classical music, then so much the better.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Like A&R. Like the transcription. Like the performance.

Don't like the video. To be fair, I hate most current TV/film for the same reason - very fast cuts between scenes. The narrative is fine, and I like the campy "being devoured by the instrument" thing. But with almost every image lasting less than a second on screen, the story gets lost in the frenetic light show. I also wish the narrative would follow the piece a bit better. The piece is a dialogue between characters and the moment when each is speaking is very distinct. The characters in the music don't line up with the characters in the film, which means that the film actually makes more sense if you don't know what's going on in the music. (Or maybe the director was trying to line everything up and because the frenetic energy of the visuals, it doesn't read.)

After I minimized the window and gave it a second listen, it was far more enjoyable. smile

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
It's this ?

Their playing is great.

But I prefer to hear a good singer instead of a piano for the voice part. I like Dieskau's version.

For the video, I like that they try something else. But this is a bit funny and messy, much shaky videos and unclear images. I like the shot at the end though where you see a hand disappear into the keyboard. But it all seems little related to the original.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Haven't been able to bring myself to watch. For one thing, I think I may have an aversion to them based on some other video that was brought to our attention some time ago.

Basically, for classical music, I prefer fairly straightforward videos of the performance or else score-following videos. Just a static image or two that I don't feel any need to pay much attention to is fine, too, particularly for old recordings - a plain text graphic of the composer, title, and performer(s) does nicely. I think I actually hear a lot better if there is little visual input going on during a performance - I often close my eyes when I really want to concentrate on listening.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission