2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 224 of 540 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 539 540
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you earl and Elle. Since I'm experiencing a post event let down, I had gotten more worked up over this than I thought! LOL! I'm glad it's behind me!! On to the Grieg to play it for the first time in my lesson this week!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
E
Lol aTallGuyNH, looks like you've got more work to do with the Mrs than the Hamilton. Sounds like a rewarding project when it's rebuilt (assuming your wife approves). Good luck!

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

Hmmm.... I have to clear this with you-know-who:
2hearts

...and...

...she...

grumbled...

and she groaned...

and asked clarifying questions...

and said "really? when we just paid to get it tuned?!?"...

and pointed out that I never wanted the thing in the first place when she bought it 10 years ago (true, that)...

and waxed poetical re: memories of the kids playing it...

and insinuated that nobody would want to buy a spinet anyway...

and wondered how on earth we were going to lug this other beast into the house...

These are all good signs... inklings of the beginnings of acquiescence. whome yippie

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Tallguy good for you. She must be thinking it could be worse. Jokes aside, piano is a very good hobby and she must love your music.

True... once in a while I casually remind her of the contrasting hobbies and other attributes of me vs. her ex-husband. It helps, briefly. smile

Re: loving the music... She asked me the other day why I don't play for her more often (I've related a similar conversation in another post previously). My answer is always "I don't want you to get sick of it". So I said "I'll play something", and she said "not Clair de Lune please, I'm so sick of it"... Ah-haaa!! That's what I was working on during the phase when I didn't worry too much about whether she was around. No wonder it's the one thing she's sick of -- if I let her hear the other stuff, she'd be sick of that too (not blaming her, mind you).

So I played the intro to New York State of Mind, to which she said the beginning part (the part that is up to speed) was "hot". blush Woohoo!!

Sounds like confirmation of my "Spousal Avoidance Theory" and strategy, no?

Originally Posted by casinitaly
TallGuy: interesting you are considering getting rid of the spinet and picking up the to-be-refurbished piano. I think it would be cool to have a spinet, but I'd want the piano AS WELL, not instead! smile

Why would you want both?

For me, they take up the same footprint, so I can swap them out with no impact to the space -- although we did have a discussion re: the confounded plants which the Mrs insists should sit on top of the piano. She doesn't like that the plants will be up so high on the upright. There is one that she has had for 15 years that only blooms one flower each year, and suddenly this year it has bloomed six. I'm getting the credit for this (for playing so much), but it's not helping with my long term goal to keep water away from the piano.

Anyway, any spinet is generally going to be inferior to any upright that is in reasonable condition. I like mine and it's served me well, but if I have a chance to trade up I wouldn't have any desire to hold onto the smaller one.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
As for reading the music and hearing it in your head, it is interesting to read how you've been developing this ability. Albeit not intentionally! Another thing that can help - if you really want to move in this direction - is to sing your pieces.

I've heard others suggest that this helps with rhythm as well. I'm much too self-conscious to do this when others are around. Maybe I could hum instead, a la Glenn Gould? smile

Originally Posted by ElleC
Lol aTallGuyNH, looks like you've got more work to do with the Mrs than the Hamilton. Sounds like a rewarding project when it's rebuilt (assuming your wife approves). Good luck!

Thanks... my wife does seem surprisingly on board, but this has given rise to an unanticipated (by me anyway) complication.

My 9 year-old (an innately musically talented girl, but a former piano student with only intermittent interest) does not like to let go of anything... like anything. I can't take her to the town transfer station (the dump, essentially) any more because she freaks out about anything we are throwing away -- she had a meltdown over some cardboard boxes one time.

She's a very tough cookie personality wise, but every once in a while she gets very sentimental and emotional -- seemingly out of the blue.

Anticipating this, my wife had a chat with her about our potential piano swaparoo... and it did not go well. Tears... major tears... how could we get rid of her piano? It's been here her entire life... and so on. My wife feels the same way -- there are many happy memories of the kids noodling around on it from the time they were old enough to climb onto the bench.

Me, I just want an upright. smile

Still -- this is the part that kills me... I was pulled into the conversation, and at the end of discussing it (the benefits of an upright re: superior sound, difficulty of keeping a spinet in tune, etc. were of no interest to my daughter, naturally) she says "what's the difference? You're just going to get rid of it anyway. You never listen to me when I care about keeping something."

Ouch.

She's prone to drama, has an amazing memory (like the Mrs), and quite possibly has a mental catalog of every discarded cardboard box, and views each one as a personal slight. But still --- ouch.

Not sure what will happen next on this. I'll probably lay low for a few days and see if she softens up a bit. After all, she did eventually get through the grieving process when we had to replace our minivan that we had since she was an infant. We'll see.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The achievements being posted seem more impressive every week. Blindfolded multi-octave jumps? Sitting for a formal year-end review? Hearing the music while looking at the sheet music? All commendable. About half seem to have already posted their recital pieces. I'm sure there are a dozen more posts that I am forgetting.

Week 60: I attend a mini-concert by the Pantoum Trio, cello, violin, piano, playing Brahms. I am so poor at playing with other musicians, it is yet another thing to think about. Other than that, I keep doing my routine. I am at three pieces, the new original, Canon in D, and a simple arrangement of My Favorite Things. For the last, I find it difficult to play as fast as people usually sing it, even with the stripped down arrangement.

I am not all that happy with the state of any of the three pieces. However, I remember my own advice about the recital, that all a beginner has to do, is their best and let the chips fall where they may. Sure, I wish I were better, or could learn faster, but wishing doesn't get me there. I keep my focus on the task right in front of me, not the road ahead.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Yearly evaluation today run by the New Hampshire Music Teachers' Association. First time for me participating. We do performance, theory tests, etc. I chose only to do the performance part. I think I played very well. I got lots of positive comments. I played the Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2 by Chopin. The Bach D minor Invention. And the Chopin Nocturne Op 9 no 2 in E flat major. I think I got myself all worked up over nothing. The evaluator was very supportive not critical at all. Anyway, I think I was the only adult in the program who participated. I was told I was a "good sport" about stuff like this. Well, if I desire to perform, this program has the venues. I felt like I really accomplished something today.

Sounds pretty cool. Good for you!

Was this at the Academy? I was right there today, checking out the classic car show next door. It would have been fun to hear you perform!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I played the Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2 by Chopin. The Bach D minor Invention. And the Chopin Nocturne Op 9 no 2 in E flat major.

I just looked these up, pretty impressive, especially on the two Chopin pieces.

You'll be doing Chopin Polonaises in no time...

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
M
M
Just skimming through the last page of this thread, wow! people are really moving fast from the last time I was here. I've still been playing and continuing with my lessons, just very busy so no time for reading/posting. The good news: I've just about got the Gminor minuet down that my teacher has had me working on since I started back playing with both hands. The bad news: my ganglion cyst is rearing its ugly head again. I'll give it another week to heal, but if it's still there, back to the doctor I go.

Anyway... nice to see everyone is doing so well! I hope I'm less busy soon so I can keep up regularly with everyone's achievements!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Dynambot - what a wonderful AOTW! Those are wonderful pieces anyone would be proud to have in their repertoire, and to play them so successfully for that particular audience...well, Way to Go! TallGuy - sounds like you've got some challenges in front of you. Good luck! Sand Tiger - You've got the right idea - we just have to keep working in a focused manner and accept that our rate of progress isn't always what we want it to be. I do believe though that over the next six months, if you keep at it the way you have been doing, you WILL see a change for the better. Don't forget how much you're trying to assimilate all at once! Playing with others is very tricky, especially if you're the "junior" member of the group. What I try to do when I get (inevitably) left behind, is to just keep pace with the music and play what I can manage- maybe just the right hand, maybe just the down beat in the left hand. It isn't really satisfying, but I'm still playing along to the best of my ability. **** Having submitted my Heller piece for the recital I'm putting it aside for a bit. I know I can do a bit better on it, but it is time to give priority to another piece and let this one percolate til I reach another level of ability. I think I could play it a bit faster, but that's not going to happen tomorrow or next week! I've started working on the very tricky bits of "First Loss" Schumann, also started his "Sicilienne". I've been working out the Grieg piece (Op12, N3- Watchman's Song) and I think I've got a way to manage the 32nd note arpeggios! .....I think I'd like to try to use two hands ...I wonder how my teacher will react to that! lol we shall see!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
First loss is so pretty and sad. Good luck with it, casinitaly! I hope I can learn it HT sometime, but not the way things have been going lately.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well Tallguy, unfortunately we were playing inside the individual studios. So, if you had come in, you would have had to listen outside the door. I think the major accomplishment that I haven't mentioned was that I strained my back the day before. I can hardly move about. I wouldn't have even thought of not doing this. And it probably wasn't the evaluation that has made my back so much worse. The mowing of the lawn when I got home is probably to blame for that!!! LOL!

The day was enough of an effort to qualify for pizza and beer celebration in the evening!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
dynamobt - That is a very impressive line up that you played for the evaluator! That really is a major achievement! You deserve your pizza and beer!

My AOTW is getting a halfway decent recording submitted for the AFB recital. It is not perfect, but it is the best I can do at this point of my piano journey. I really appreciate the opportunity this forum offers to do these recitals, because it forces me to polish pieces to a higher standard that I might otherwise do. I think we grow as pianists when we have that kind of pressure. My teacher told me she really appreciates it too! She really enjoyed working on the finishing touches with me.

Not an achievement as such, but I am excited grin

I am arranging skype lessons with a fantastic Kodaly teacher, which will hopefully give me a great foundation in sight-singing and developing my aural and general musicianship skills to give me a solid foundation for piano sight reading and interval recognition etc. Yay!!!

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
A
A
My teacher called in sick today. Boo! With lessons on monday, a lot of them are getting lost thanks to various holidays around this time of the year. I spent the time productively, though: manned up and got myself a video to go with the recital. Feels good to finish things properly smile

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No stunning AOTW, just steady improvement with all my current pieces.

I had a good lesson today; I think because they are all things I chose to do rather than just the next piece in the lesson book. I guess if I had one it would be that my teacher noticed and commented on my much improved reading of the music.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I gave up on Chopin Etude No 3 about six weeks ago. It is only the first section and because it's in Alfred's AIO Piano Course Book 2 it was misleading that it might be easy.

I guess why it is so difficult is polyphonic pieces are something completely new to me and requires a developed hand independence.

I took it up again a few days ago after renewed confidence in completing a difficult piece (to me anyway) and submitting it for the forum recital.

I knew if I just broke it down into sections and practiced each section, sometimes hands separate and at very slow speeds eventually I would be able to play it. So it's early days but I have managed to overcome a few physical and mental hurdles. I am so happy with the progress and even although I can't play it straight through yet I still feel I have had win.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dulcetta
Not an achievement as such, but I am excited grin

I am arranging skype lessons with a fantastic Kodaly teacher, which will hopefully give me a great foundation in sight-singing and developing my aural and general musicianship skills to give me a solid foundation for piano sight reading and interval recognition etc. Yay!!!

Be interested to see how this pans out, if you do feel it benefits your sight reading.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Mary Ann - I hope things pick up for you piano wise. First loss is a bit tricky, (for me), but tackling it a few bars at a time is getting me there slowly but surely.

Dynambot - take care of your back!!!!!

SwissMS - congrats on the submission - isn't it nice when our PW objectives mesh so well with our lesson work smile

Dulcetta: good luck with the new teacher! How exciting!

Ragdoll: Congrats on feeling so much better about your lesson times! That's real success!

Allard: I hate it when I have to miss a lesson - but it does sound like you've made good use of your time!

EarlofMar ---- There's always that piece we want to play ..."but it is too hard to play"...now. Breaking it into bite size pieces as you're doing is going to get you there!

I had a fabulous lesson yesterday - showed my teacher what I'd done on the Sicilienne - and he was pleased with my analysis of what had to be done. I also showed him the Watchman's Song I'm doing for the Greig recital and he liked it. We went over some of the fingerings to make them easier (and in some cases more logical) - and he gave me the historical snapshot of how this piece fits into the big picture. It was very interesting. I also learned that in the middle of my piece the term "Intermezzo" in the score gives a certain amount of artistic freedom to the performer...so I'm a bit more relaxed about those 32nd notes!

I also got some music for a simple duet version of the Radetzy Waltz I'm going to play with the student whose lesson is right after mine. He's 14, and has a fair amount of experience playing duets. I told him he had to be patient and kind smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Casinitaly, I just took a look at Greig's The Watchman's Song. What a beautiful piece, just loved the sound of the melody. Good luck with learning this piece.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi! I had a very busy week, and it's not easy to find an AOTW.
I realized I'm not able to really polish pieces, there is always one detail out of place (often more than one); my recital is due in 3 weeks (June 1st) and I don't feel prepared. I will not play by memory, I do not want to add useless stress.

Ok, I have an AOTW: I'm really enjoying the Bach Polonaise I'm studying: quite simple, it's taking shape and it's short and relaxing. And I don't have yet to polish it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by torquenale

Ok, I have an AOTW: I'm really enjoying the Bach Polonaise I'm studying: quite simple, it's taking shape and it's short and relaxing. And I don't have yet to polish it.

If your really enjoying the piece that is marvelous and not having to polish it, how I long for one of those

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 224 of 540 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission