2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
^ Well yes, the texture looks good, but is it feasible to project it clearly as written, without modifying even the dynamics slightly?

To put my query in another way, if a pianist plays a bunch of harmonically clashing/ seemingly random/"atonal" notes in the Prokofiev or Grieg codas and the audience doesn't notice because the piano is literally inaudible -- well, that doesn't speak well about the orchestration, does it?

Or, if a pianist plays a bunch of wrong notes during a tutti, does the piano make a sound?

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1. The dynamics depend on a lot of factors. First of all we should remember that forte and piano are rather relative terms. Your upright piano in your home will have a different reaction to the same velocity to my grand piano, or a Steinway grand in Disney hall.

2. We should keep in mind that the hall and the size of the orchestra also matters. A lot of classical works do not have exact sizes for the strings, which creates several issues...

3. Finally we need to remember that each one hears things differently in the end, especially depending on where we sit, etc...

So in the case of Prokofiev I do think that his idea was for the piano to act like one of the woodwinds in that instance (same as in the early stages of the cadenze, where it takes the place of the strings). And I think that this works. I think that if someone played something totally off in the coda it would show... I think...

It remains to be tried I guess... grin Anyone up for the task?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
^ I'll grant you that the Prokofiev coda looks better on paper than the Grieg coda, where the piano's flourishes are independent and undoubled.

One reason why I wish Mahler had written a piano concerto is because it most likely would've been finely balanced, even if he had decided to use a massive orchestra with, say, quadruple winds.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Janus K. Sachs
Originally Posted by Derulux
I think that any time you have 96 people playing against 1 person, you're going to have balance issues regardless of instrument. That's why these pieces are performed by people and not by a computer. You can balance out the sound by using your ear, even in the middle of a passage.

I believe that what works and what doesn't work is a matter of orchestra and pianist in the moment, and that a perfect audible balance can be achieved by performers expert enough to be capable of calibrating their individual sound as part of the whole.
All very true. But as a composer I want to maximize the chances of the music being clearly projected with minimum effort from the performers, especially since rehearsal time is precious -- in short, write the music in such a way so that it is hard to screw up, balance-wise.

Absolutely, I completely agree. I took a different tack in my post, but I don't deny this at all. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Unfortunately not. Sorry... But I've studied the orchestral score and do think that his intentions are not lost... :-/ I could be mistaken of course, but I think the piano goes along with the woodwinds and high strings in blending this spider web around the F. Hrns and earlier on the Tbns and T.

I think you're underestimating how loud and piercing the trombones actually are in that register. You can hear the pianist only in studio recordings, and then only the very highest notes and nothing in the middle.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I'm too lazy to go through the score and pick out all the problem spots, but my general impression of Prokofiev's 5th piano concerto is that it has many places, mostly brief, where the piano can't be heard. Sometimes it seems that might be an intentional effect, but it's hard to say, because a lot of the writing for both the piano and the orchestra is fairly unusual. But I remember being surprised at a live concert at how often the piano was simply obliterated, usually by the brass.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Janus K. Sachs
Originally Posted by Mwm
Is it not possible that the composer intended the piano to get lost in ( or, in fact, become part of ) the overall sound being produced at that moment? This is quite common in concerti played in period performance practice ( e.g., Beethoven played on a piano forte with a period orchestra) .
Well, if the piano isn't audible as a distinct sound entity no matter how hard the pianist tries, might as well not have the piano play in such passages. Though it doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Mozart and Beethoven piano concerti, since the division between solo and tutti is very clear, and the orchestration in solo passages is very transparent. Unless of course you're referring to non-solo passages when the soloist improvises continuo (which Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven did -- Haydn even in his symphonies, including the late ones), where the soloist can indeed get lost in the louder tuttis.

And it's worth mentioning that the balances of everything in the Classical era were quite different than what we hear today when we listen to a modern orchestra and the soloist is using some big concert grand, and the hall is relatively vast. Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven were not writing their concertos for those forces and environment. Mozart, in fact, performed all of his concertos on harpsichord as well as on fortepiano, hard as that may be for us to imagine.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
I'm too lazy to go through the score and pick out all the problem spots, but my general impression of Prokofiev's 5th piano concerto is that it has many places, mostly brief, where the piano can't be heard. Sometimes it seems that might be an intentional effect, but it's hard to say, because a lot of the writing for both the piano and the orchestra is fairly unusual. But I remember being surprised at a live concert at how often the piano was simply obliterated, usually by the brass.
Thanks. My guess is that the third movement could be especially problematic. I only have the two piano reduction, so I can't see the scoring problems firsthand -- best I can do is listen to recordings.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission