2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Skoob Offline OP
OP Offline
S
http://www.pianosolutions.net/usedPianos/ProfessionalStudiosandUprights.htm

I can't deal with my spinet any longer. Do any of these pianos scream out, "Pick me. I'm a great piano at a great price." ?

1. I'm trying to limit my budget to $3,000. Would you buy a $3,000 piano or buy a $1,500 piano and give $1,500 to a piano tech to bring it up to speed?

2. What would you offer a dealer for a piano in this price range? 20% off? 5% off?

Thank you.

Skoob

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Go visit them. Play them. See what you like and what charms you.
I'd avoid any piano that screamed.

Learner
M
M
Hey Skoob! The standard advice in buying used pianos seems to be play lots, see what you like, and have a tech you trust inspect your top candidate(s). Even in new pianos there is more to it than just brand, model and price. That is greatly compounded when looking at used pianos, due to the extreme variation possible in use, maintenance and treatment over the years. Just because they are at a dealer, I wouldn't assume anything. Listen to what they say but trust your fingers, ears, and get a truly independent expert opinion on condition. That's really what determines the value of a used piano. Getting a copy of Larry Fine's "Piano Book" and his pianobuyer.com website can be helpful in learning what to look for in a used piano.

The P22s, U1, and maybe Hamilton's all seem like pretty common choices in these price ranges, but you have to be careful. Many of these pianos have seen school or other institutional use and can have seen alot of abuse. Again just because they are at a dealer don't assume they are all fixed up. I hate to say it, but particularly in this price range many dealer pianos may just be basically craigslist pianos that have been looked over, cleaned up, and marked up considerably. You could accomplish the same thing by buying direct from the original owners and having a good tech inspect and service and probably get a better deal. Its certainly less convenient than having all the pianos in one place, and the warranty may be worth something to you if the dealer has a good reputation and will be around.

You're in a different price range than we were, so hopefully some folks will chime in with more thoughts on these pianos and options in your range.

Good luck!

Rob

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That is a nice selection of uprights! You've got to give the dealer credit for having a wide variety of brands, models and prices.

I agree with the others, you will just have to see, feel, play, listen and touch the pianos youself to know which one to choose. Only you can do that...

I honestly don't see a problem with any one of those pianos, even the Whurlitzers... smile

However, I do think the price would be (or should be) negotiable on any one of the pianos.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
A
I'll be darned. I didn't know the Haddorff brand name had been revived. I gave away a Haddorff baby grand last fall to make room for the 1923 Steinway O I'd been given.

AndyJ
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I like some of the cabinet styles in the vintage section, like the Wurlitzer art deco
but pianos are not selected for the cabinets..it what's inside that counts...

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
My first candidate would be the Everett. They were known for being built like tanks, and used to be one of the three first choices for institutional use. If I liked how it played, I'd have a tech inspect it.

Beyond that, it looks like you get what you pay for, except for the Steinway (obscenely priced).

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I would try the Walters first, based on personal experience. I know nothing about this dealership, so I would have no clue on the "wiggle room." I would also see what the Petrofs have to offer.

It is, indeed, a large selection.

Anyone out there have any direct experience with this dealership?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Bear in mind. I'm no expert. No great experience. But...

I'd sure be looking at the taller ones. Longer strings. The shorter ones strike me as an overgrown spinet. They're stretching the name: Professional Studio.

I like the idea of buying from a private party. Local. Also the same person mentioned the trade in on an upgrade might be worth some money. That is something to consider.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Just what in the heck is a "professional studio upright?" fancy terminology?
a piano that's used for teaching students? certainly it can't mean a recording
music studio piano, I'm sure Capitol records or RCA Victor or Columbia, used
a Grand piano...not an upright..

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Bob....In recording studios. They use what gives them the sound they want. At times, the great sound of a grand doesn't cut it. They want the sound of an upright. Or you might relate to the sound of an old Ragtime piano.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Bob, Uprights that are between 45" and 47' are referred to as studios, most likely because they are sold to teachers who use them in their studio. These pianos have a toe block that connects the leg to the case. They usually have double wheeled casters. This term is used to describe a piano that usually has a case that is made for abusive institutional use with the emphasis on durability, giving them a clunky appearance. The name has been standard in the industry for as long as I can remember.

BTW, I do know the folks at Piano Solutions, and they are straight up guys. I've been in their shop and they do a great job on prepping their pianos.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I would take some of those ads/pictures with a grain of salt. What they call a one year old Pramberger with the two knobs on the pull-out music stand was last made by Young Chang about 5 years ago. The same model is made by YC as a Weber now. Samick makes different designs called Prambergers but none look like this. If it's a YC piano, MAYBE it was sold a year ago but it ain't no 6k+ piano. I bought mine in black as NOS from Hollywood Piano for 4.5k.

I found three thousand to be a funny price point. I saw lots of of 1500 pianos that were ratty looking or had blown out actions and at at $$2500+, I saw lot's of 30 year old U1s but very little else. I thought there was enough value in the new with warranty Pramberger to bump my budget.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
S
S
Young Chang and U1 would be my choice, followed by p22.
But condition is most important.

PLEYEL P124
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was referring to the word "professional" I'm sure that when someone was playing stride piano, or ragtime aka Fats Waller or Willie the Lion Smith they'd shoot for an upright
achieving that honky tonk sound..

M
M
Either of the Walters would be hard to beat on that list. If you can get the serial numbers, you (or we) can check the year manufactured. All Walter uprights come with a 12-year FULL warranty, so either of those may still be under the factory warranty.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
I was referring to the word "professional" I'm sure that when someone was playing stride piano, or ragtime aka Fats Waller or Willie the Lion Smith they'd shoot for an upright
achieving that honky tonk sound..

Either Fats or The Lion would prefer a Steinway grand.

Semipro Tech
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
If the Everett's in good condition and you like it, it would be the best buy out the whole lot.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
M
M
You really are going to have to visit there and try them out. If you can't play, take someone with you who can. I see a lot of pianos on there that if I had the money in my budget I'd be all over them (I like the P22, Petrofs, Kawai).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission