2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2053310 03/24/13 07:38 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I'm trying to record 2 pieces. No, make that I WAS trying to record. I gave up after repeated botch-ups.

Most of the errors were in the second half of the pieces, often near the end. Sometimes, I have no doubt, because of the thought that creeps into my mind "ah, I think I'm going to make it"... and then it crumbles.

I don't seem to be able to sustain focus - and let's face it- my pieces are NOT long and complicated. They're just right for my ability.

What are techniques you use for improving your focus and concentration. Clearly I'm missing something.

grrrrrr.

Suggestions very welcome!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Do a SEARCH on these words ... red dot record anxiety panic

Use the SEARCH window in the LEFT Column of your screen on Piano World.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I have the exact same problem. Every time I try to record, something goes wrong because, suddenly, I get nervous when I start to record. That sucks, because I can't record properly. And what pisses me off is all the mistakes I make are near the end.

Everytime I start to record the thought of "I can't make mistakes" overcome my mind or when things are going right I think "I'm making it. This is going to work" and then comes thousands of mistakes.

Last edited by ThePianistWay; 03/24/13 08:14 AM.

Working on:

Am Abend - Hofmann

"Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong. "
A
A
Red dot syndrome always creeps up, but I find a few things help me when I try to record:
- Have the piece learned. Any shaky parts will almost always collapse when recording, or as I had yesterday, when playing for friends.
- When you keep making mistakes and get annoyed, pause briefly. Calm down, collect yourself, sip some water or tea, and only then start over.
- If you really can't concentrate, just stop. Try again another time. We all have good days and bad days.
- It is probably a bad idea to record when you just woke up, got back from work, just ate food or are otherwise tired. Focus takes energy.
- It has been said that recording more often makes it easier. I don't record enough.

Edit:
- It's okay to make mistakes. You HAVE to allow yourself some mistakes, or you get too stressed. Even playing through horribly mistakes may be useful. If nothing else, you can later analyse what went wrong; or practise the problem areas separately; or decide it wasn't so bad after all and that one take is decent enough to post to the piano bar.

Last edited by Allard; 03/24/13 08:08 AM.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I should clarify that today the irritation is because of recording. I'm willing to acknowledge and accept some nervousness because of the red dot, but I feel it is perhaps more than just a bit of performance anxiety and I have to find a way to improve my concentration.

Allard - you're very right about quitting before getting to frustrated (I did 3 too many tries today!!!) - and also not doing it late in the day. Early in the day is generally good for me, or mid-day. Any time after 6 there's just no point.

As for getting over the red dot complex I have been working at recording more so that it is more routine and not such a big deal. I also imagine that I'm just playing for someone who'll be particularly forgiving (Mom usually comes to mind smile ) to help me relax.

I never though I had a particularly short attention span, but now I'm really wondering.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I seem to be having the same problem with staying focused and it's not just when I am recording something. I record all my lessons and often just leave the recorer on during some practice sessions. During the past 2 years, I have chosen to play something for the adult recital that is only 2 pages. The piece I would like to play this year is 7 pages when you include the repeats and I can't seem to get to the end without mistakes. It is Chopin's Waltz in B minor so technically it's easier than some of my other pices. Musically, it's a differemt story to get the expression in it. My teacher has said he wants me to make him cry when I play this piece. I have it memorized both hands seperate as well as together and analyzed. I am not forgetting it but seem to lose my concentration before it is over. Yes, I do the same thing and think, I'm going to make it to the end and then I flub it up. I have practiced many parts alone and then put measures before and after together so I don't think the problem is any certain part as the mistakes come in random partsd and not always the same. I'll play the piece fine and then mess up when it repeats.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I'd recommend life style change. A hunter-gatherer diet suits me best.

Laissez tomber les mains
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

What are techniques you use for improving your focus and concentration.

Lately, instead of trying to ignore every distraction, I have switched to working on reducing the disruption that the distraction causes me. It is as though I say to myself, "yes, ok. there was a siren (or a wrong note, or a cat, or a reflection from outside). now get back to work'

But to make it faster:
Siren, okay, play

until the distraction becomes only a click
playing along/click/playing along

That's a lousy explanation. Brewer heard a meditation instruction years ago which states it quite simply, "Note the distraction and resume breathing."

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

I don't know if this will work,but you might try recording just the second half of the piece. Or maybe record it backwards....second half,then first half. All this is just to get your brain over the hump of self doubt.

Whatever you do,give yourself a break, everyone struggles to get clean performances.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with the advice that if you do not get it in the first few tries, stop trying for a while. I also have had the same problem of getting near the end and then screwing up. I have even missed the very last note because I think I have nailed it! The problem is not because of sketchy areas, it is because I know the recorder is running. So, now, I record everyday in attempt to make it no big deal. I record everything - big pieces and little pieces. I won't say it has completely cured the problem, but it is way better. I record practice runs of sections, half tempo runs, everything. I forget that the recorder is running, relax, and just play. (I go through a lot of batteries. smile )

Another thing that happens to me when I am anxious, either recording or playing for others, is I forget to breathe. I will hold my breath in tricky spots, and then crash and burn. It is hard to focus if you are out of air. My teacher noted this and reminds me to breathe when she sees I am seizing up. She even has suggested using breathing as a means of focussing and reducing anxiety. It seems to help.

Last edited by SwissMS; 03/24/13 09:26 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Red dot is a killer. But you say youre working on 2 pieces. I would concentrate on one piece until you nail it. Then go Yes, have a drink, kick back and bask in the glory. Oh and share.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
chopin_r_us.... interesting idea but I don't think that's going to happen, thanks.

Malkin - that certainly sounds like it is worth a try - "go with the flow" (seems it could be applicable to other aspects of life too!!!)

Jim, that could be worth a try too. Maybe a few successful attempts on the second half of xyz would do the trick....As for being too hard on myself - well..... sometimes. I try to keep my expectations realistic though - I really do think I should be able to get through these pieces.

SwissMS - you are so right about the breathing. I find I'm ok when I'm just "playing" but as soon as I start to record, I stop breathing properly. Something else to focus on.

Zillybug- thanks for sharing that you've got the same sort of problem - I'll share the advice here with you smile smile

Larry - you posted just as I did so I've come back to edit.... Yes, I've got two pieces on the go but I started one way before the other - I'm not still "studying" the pieces. I figured I was done with the work and it was time to record. I was only going to do one today - it didn't go well, so I tried the other - it didn't go well and I packed it up and came here to whine a bit smile

I'll try some of these ideas over the next little while, and up the recording to increase comfort level. I'll also talk to my teacher about it as I think there has to be a way to get in the "Zone" you hear so many folks talking about .

Last edited by casinitaly; 03/24/13 09:38 AM. Reason: added comment

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You are like me, Cheryl, you have too much on your mind at any given time... smile

If it is any consolation, I don't think I've ever played a tune all the way through without some kind of bobble... I've accepted my fate. smile

You are making tremendous progress with your playing, Cheryl! Keep it up, my friend from across the big pond!

Ricky-J smile

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ricky-J - If I could play as lightheartedly as dynamically as you do , I would feel more relaxed about some bobbles.

smile I appreciate the encouragement.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I find recording incredibly difficult (so far only guitar, no room to record the keyboard yet). I feel very self conscious and can only do it if I'm alone!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't feel bad. Neither can I

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
This is one of the biggest problems that adults have. They think too much. Too easily distracted. After all, you have to be when you're used to driving cars. Other reasons also. We're used to having to multitask our minds.
My teacher agrees with this. Also the book I've been mentioning on "The Art of Practicing" talks about this. In the book, she gets into yoga and meditation. That does a bunch to help you be able to focus when you want to. I do want to mention the meditation part. That is why so many people love to run marathons. It's their state of mind. Cannot think as clearly, fast, and focused as when in that state of mind of running long slow distance.

I also think myself this problem lies in the nervous system. The autonomic mind. The base mind. Here are some things I work on. They also just plain make me younger.
Mobility work... It is a fact that if you go through all six ways you can move. One at a time. Beginning to end. That will wipe your nervous system clean. Ever have something bugging you? Some idiot yelled something at you and it keeps coming back? Mobility work will wipe that out. Mobility helps you to take control of your autonomic mind. Not it control you. It controlling you is easily exampled in so many idiot young men who are aggressive and want to fight. They are controlled. There is a ton a person can get out of mobility work. Mainly it just plain makes you younger. Literally.
Yoga is really good also.
Just plain exercise helps. Strength and cardio work. Helps a ton to get blood flowing. Be healthier. Do it smart and you don't have to become a gym rat. You can get a whole lot out of a little time by making sure you do Mobility, Strength, then Yoga. It gets results.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ron - I had no idea what you were talking about with Mobility so I googled it..now I'm doing some research.

I've never tried yoga - and when I've tried meditation, I either can't stay focused (surprise! lol) ...or I fall asleep.

Larry and FindingNemo2010...I guess we're in the same boat!

[Linked Image]

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
A few thoughts.

1) I haven't tried this, but it might be worthwhile. Record everything when you practice. Just delete the files after. If you are always recording everything you practice then you'll eventually just forget about the fact that you're being recorded and the stress levels will (one hopes) dissipate. If you make recording your pieces a special event, it seems likely to me that just makes the process more stressful. Also, if you happen to get in the zone while practicing and have that perfect performance, you'll have it recorded. smile

2) Practice more. I think people underestimate how much practice it takes to really master a song, even a simple song. Just because you can play a song well doesn't mean you've mastered it. My favorite piano quote (stolen from someone's sig here) is basically, "Don't practice until you can get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong."

3) Yoga is highly recommended, or if you can find a good teacher, Tai Chi Chuan might be even better. If you can find a teacher who knows the whole system, Tai Chi is also a great system of self defense.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
A
Try not to take yourself so seriously. It doesn't matter if you fluff a recording you're not recording for posterity or for magnificent acclaim from an Albert Hall audience. Just try treating it as a joke and realise you can always delete and start again. Try having a laugh about any mistake you make and then just try again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission