2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
I own a Roland 700nx. Its just the most fabulous keyboard I have ever owned. It's really playable and has some great sounds, esp the grand and electric pianos. The organ is good but only four faders, the 'swell pedal' (middle) is a little odd too.
It does have its limitations though, it's got a tiny screen, a lot of the power is hidden away behind obscure button presses and some of the synth sounds are a bit dated (IMO).

Enter the Kronus X1. Now I dont know too much about this keyboard but I was very impressed. The electric paino seems even better that then Roland RX. The grand seems a little weaker, but only a shade and very playable. The VDU screen seems so intuitive and helps you get into the jewels inside. Its also got nine synth engines and a lot of SSD space, plus the ability to import samples. There's a lot more than that too..

Check out the 'manual' videos to get the full picture (via the 'video camera' icon.

http://www.korg.com/KronosX

Now I also have a Nord C2 and am wondering if its time to sell this on and get a Kronus X . It's got a case legs and Leslie switch too.

The Kronus X .. . whats your thoughts?

Maybe the best digital keyboard ever made?

Zero

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03/23/13 05:30 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Have you tried the Kronos X yourself? I haven't, but I assume the action is worse than the Roland's. I haven't heard of any phenomenal Korg actions, but I haven't played any myself so I can't say for sure. Still, I agree that the other features are excellent. If I liked the action I would definitely get one.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
I played a Kronos X side to side to a Roland 700nx and a Yamaha CP5, and the results were obvious. The sound was there but the action and the overall feel of the Kronos is a no go to me... I felt like playing a toy piano

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The NX is a far nicer board then the cheaply built overhyped Kronos

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I like my SP280 a lot- but I prefer the Krome to the Kronos- I just think the Kronos is two pricey.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
V
V
What about the Yamaha MOX6? I have read great reviews on the web when compared to korg krome.

George

Current equipment: Korg pa4X | Roland RD700NX | KRK RP6-G2 | Midas MR18
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
When I bought the Roland I played the Korg Kronus (not X) back to back. I found that the action on the Roland was superior as was the sound engine. In fact I would say the action on the Roland is superb.
The Kronus (not Kronus X) had a more plasticky feel, I did not like the joy stick much (but hey I could live with it)
The Roland is a heavy beast.
Under the hood there is less going on on the Roland and its harder to get at, but what you have got is passable. I have never been a huge fan of the piano sound on the Roland, dont get me wrong, its perfpectly passable and useable, but it does not grab me. I dont ever bother with the studio and brilliant, they seem like tweaks. In all, though everything about the Roland is pro, for me its the action that sold it.

I think the above threads are right about the overall feel of the Kronus trhough being lighter is a bonus. Here, I dont need the sequencer as I run Cubase. Its about the sounds. Marginally I prefer the sound of the Kronus piano, though it has less body (IMO), the electric pianos are much better that the 700 IMO. The VDU is great, lots of potential.

I read it takes 2 minutes ot boot?

Action wise, anyone playing it? It would be good if a Kronus X owner posted about any flaws, misgivings they had

Will check out the Krome

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03/24/13 06:04 AM.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
> 2 minutes boot time..., don't ever unplug it in the middle of a gig ;-) Or ALWAYS use a UPS on stage. Keys are not in the league of the Roland NX for sure. I think there has been a lot said about the RH3 keys of the Kronos, but most of it has not been to the praise of it. One advantage for the synth player ; it does have aftertouch. Something that misses from most stage piano's. I wouldn't buy the Korg on specs alone , but compare the 88 side by side to a good Roland or Yamaha and then decide. If pianolike key touch is not such an important thing for you, the RH3 might be OK for your playing style, but if your after a good 'piano' experience, I think you'll be disappointed both in touch / sound and especially the interaction between the touch &sound of the Kronos.

Edit: I think I made a mistake and recalled from memory checking out the boot-time in a shop to be over 3 minutes. Although it may have felt like 4 minutes, it was probably closer to well over 2 minutes. My mistake. Have a flue- my heads not clear...

Last edited by JFP; 03/24/13 08:01 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
4 full minutes boot time...

Wow, that's terrible, particularly from an SSD. The processor must be really asthmatic (the Atom is a dog in every netbook I've encountered).

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by JFP
4 full minutes boot time...

Wow, that's terrible, particularly from an SSD. The processor must be really asthmatic (the Atom is a dog in every netbook I've encountered).

Sorry - I think I made a mistake - see my edit..

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ojustaboo,
Thanks for that thorough review, very interesting!

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
+1!

Very thorough review, nice job Ojustaboo!

James
x

ps. Is it still snowing in Naridge?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Ok its seems we have a flawed beauty but a beauty nonetheless.

The thing is there is really no replacement.
If interested I have the follwoing keyboards for sale

1] Nord C2

2} Novation 61SL

The nord has a Nord case and Nord legs and a Leslie switch all to be sold seperately.

All Keyboards and kit are in top condition - flawless.

North of London UK

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
(It's booting it's custom Linux operating system as its really a PC inside)

It's an Atom running Linux? Surely someone must have mirrored the SSD, and took a look at it outside of the keyboard?!

R
R
I almost took the plunge on a Kronos 73x last week, I just couldn't get past the RH3 action. I didn't like it at all. I love the AP and EP sounds in the Kronos and I am sure it would be great fun to spin out evolving pads over drum loops and synth lead sounds over a glass or two of chianti. If I were still doing the wedding band cover band thing I would jump on it, it seems perfect for those gigs. I thought the B3 sounds were very good, back in the day I used to gig with a CX3 (the newer one).

So it depends on what you need. I just need a good piano, ep sound and be able to split bass and layer a pad and I want to have good finger to sound connection. So why pay a lot of money (close to twice the price of what I went for) for features I will never use? I have a Motif xs7 that I still gig with and I never got proficient at using song or pattern mode, so odds are I wouldn't on a Kronos either. As ojustaboo wisely consueled If you are just going to play piano there are other cheaper alternatives.

Bottom line is if you connect with the instrument, it meets your needs and you have the cash take the plunge.

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

I wrote to Korg and received the reply below. Frankly I dont buyt the idea that 'because its suppoosed to be like a paino you have to store it horizontally only@ its not true of other keyboards, my RD700NX is very durable.

Also no news on 64 bit software - simply shocking for such a top class product. IMO

In answer to your questions:

a) We recommend taking care while transporting the KRONOS with weighted keybeds. The reason for that is the fact that the KRONOS's RH3 keybed was designed to behave as closely to a typical acoustic piano's keybed as possible so it is recommended that the keybed is stored the same as an acoustic piano (horizontally) in order to prevent any issues. The pieces of cardboard which the instrument comes with simply ensure that any movement of the keys is restricted during transport, minimizing any risks.

b) The fan has very minimal noise. I personally have to put my ear next to my KRONOS in order to be able to hear it and that is in my acoustically treated music room. If I switch other devices in my studio ON, the fan is completely unaudible.

c) The KRONOS software editor designed by MIDI Quest is 32-bit only and it does not work well with 64-bit DAWs. Unfortunately I cannot confirm at this stage whether there will be a 64-bit version of the software in the future.

d) The KRONOS has a very large amount of data to load upon start up so it normally takes a couple of minutes to boot up. For most people, this is a non-issue especially considering that many other devices need some time before they can be used (for example, valve amplifiers).

e) Could you please confirm what exactly you mean by back up? If you mean technical support, we are always available for help through email or phone. In terms of warranty, we offer an extended three-year warranty for the KRONOS in the UK.

Based on what I have also read, it sounds as though you have come across these reports on online forums. While they can be useful resources at times, it is always a good idea to take opinions or reports with a pinch of salt. What often happens is that a very few users experience issues and then post about it on every possible platform and this doesn't reflect the reality that the very vast majority of other users are enjoying the product without experiencing any problems at all. There wouldn't be hundred of top class professionals using the KRONOS if it wasn't a) playable b) gigable and c) connectable to studios.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If your not sure about the RH3 keyed, but in love with the features set of the Kronos, why not consider a Kronos 61 and good 88 keyboard controller (A-88 / Casio PX..50 series if it has to be lightweight) and enjoy the benefits of both boards. Synth action keys are also great for synths sounds and things like organ etc, in comparison to weighted 88 keys. The 88 is then handy for the piano-style stuff. For the money it makes hardly any difference...

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
As a former Kronos owner... Craptastic is my term for it. I haven't missed it for one second. Others really love it, but personally I think it is a big investment for something built to such poor physical standards.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission