2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2052769 03/23/13 01:13 AM
woodfab Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I just installed 240 strings and tuning pins, which been working out just fine.

I had ten more bass strings to go then, my daughter walks in and says "dad, would you like a piece of fried chicken" I said "yes thanks"

Well I had on cotton gloves for the stringing job.

Guess what happened next?

I put the next string in and thought "why is the pin so loose and jumpy?"

Then I realized, "OH CRAP" OIL!

Any ideas what I should now?

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
M
M
Best thing you can do is get some waffles to go with that chicken wink

Rob

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Methyl Hydrate is a good cleaner.

My worry would be any cleaner thinning the oil enough to let it migrate to near by pins.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by woodfab
Well I just installed 240 strings and tuning pins, which been working out just fine.
I had ten more bass strings to go then, my daughter walks in ...
Are you re-stringing a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand? Or are you stringing us along, or??? wink

JG
woodfab Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes I'm serious.

After I ate the chicken I drove the next pin in not realizing I got oil on my gloves.

I then went to put some tension on the string I found the pin was unbelievably jumpy and sounded like a duck call.

My wife has been saying that fried food is no good for me.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by woodfab; 03/23/13 02:15 PM.

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's only one pin?

You could try the methyl hydrate.

But if you are afraid that might help the oil migrate as was posted above, you could just try using powdered rosin on the pin and see if that corrects the problem.

If worse come to worse, you could just drill this one hole out, insert a plug from pinblock material, and then re-drill the hole for the pin.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 03/23/13 03:36 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about migration. Methyl evaporates so quickly it will draw the oil away from the material and leave most on the rag or Q tip.

It is only when using a brush the oil will be driven deeper into the materials. The idea is the swab rather than scrub.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes I'm serious.
In my post I was asking if you were serious about 240 strings done, 10 to go. That would be 250 strings. Very, very few pianos have that many, certainly not a baby grand. The correct number is probably around 190.

JG
Now I'll have to go count strings on a couple og the baby grands I have.

Darn math.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Supply
Yes I'm serious.
In my post I was asking if you were serious about 240 strings done, 10 to go. That would be 250 strings. Very, very few pianos have that many, certainly not a baby grand. The correct number is probably around 190.

My math may have a mistake but I figure 231 pins from the photo. 27 bass with 4 trichords, the remainder 61 trichords.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your piano has 228 strings.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
woodfab Offline OP
OP Offline
228 On this 5' 3" Kimball

Well should I do something now Or wait to see if it hold good enough?

Last edited by woodfab; 03/24/13 02:45 PM.

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Are you trying to get any of us to admit we have done something like this?

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Btw, from the pic you provided, it looks like you do nice, neat, professional work smile

(Other than the fried chicken wink smile )

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It's the new Kimbal-KFC. A finger lickin' good piano.

Methyl Hydrate is the logical choice.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You could use denatured alcohol dribbled into the hole with an eye dropper while a clean rag is stuffed in to slide back and forth to absorb the oil. Then use thin super glue to tighten the hole back up since removing the pin will loosen the fit. Of course don't dribble any on any finished surfaces!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
What I would do would be to pull the pin, then take a an absorbent material like a twisted strip of flannel that fits snugly in the hole, and with it wetted with lacquer thinner on the leading end, I would pull it through the hole so that the first three or four inches of soaked thinner are followed by a foot or so of dry flannel. Clean the pin, perhaps dust with rosin, or not. and redrive the pin. Most of the oil from the gloves is on the pin, you didn't put enough down the hole to soak the pinblock for the length of the pin. There is not enough to migrate and infect the rest of the block.

The worst case scenario is to drill a 3/8 hole through the block, glue in a pair of Falconwood or Delignite plugs, and red rill. It has happened to a lot of us and isn't really a big deal. We bought a D in 1980 at the school. Two years later, A1 would't hold. Upon removal, it was found that the hole in the block was oval because the hole had been drilled hard next to the plate and the pin had been held by metal on metal for the first year or so before it began grinding some torque away.

No way was I going to risk a $12 bass string (that is what Mapes was charging then), on an iffy pin, again, so I plugged it and repined. It held for 20 years, and was still tight when the block was replaced.

I do my best work when I don't eat when stringing, or talk, or drink coffee, or make appointments, or anything but

wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/wire/cut/feed/bend/twist/hammer/lift/hammer/chip/

The older I get, the more I appreciate the opportunity to have several hours in which I can just work, uninterruptedly. Stringing is perhaps the most beautiful escape in my shop, as the pattern is clear, Measurable progress comes with steadily mounting tension, fresh felt, polished bits and pieces, strings pitched for the first time, the count of pins, holes, and hitches lock-stepping across the afternoon, the reward for good procedure and technique immediate in the form of job satisfaction with every pin. There is a feeling of wealth that comes from coils of wire and bass strings waiting next to the box of tuning pins as they get pounded into their eternal life.

Just no way to work the fried chicken into it, sorry.
Regards,

B
BDB Offline
B
Red rill! Repined! Interesting spellchecker choices!

Semipro Tech
B
B

I had ten more bass strings to go then, my daughter walks in and says "dad, would you like a piece of fried chicken" I said "yes thanks"

Well I had on cotton gloves for the stringing job.

Guess what happened next?

I put the next string in and thought "why is the pin so loose and jumpy?"

Then I realized, "OH CRAP" OIL!

Any ideas what I should now?

I can't speak as a pro piano tech because I am strictly a DIYer, but I can speak from 35 years in the automotive repair industry. We frequently have to degrease all kinds of things. Sit in somebody's fuzzy tan cloth seats and you didn't realize there was a wad of black wheel bearing grease on your pants? Ooooops! "Brake cleaning' solvent" will degrease damn near anything. I prefer the less toxic newer formula that is hexane based over the old toxic perchloroethelyne (sp??) formula. I would flood the hole with brake cleaner and blow it out with compressed air and it will be bone-dry afterwards. If you really want to worry about it, do that twice. Oil sinks more deeply and quickly into soft cloth upholstery than into wood and brake cleaner leaves not a trace.

Don't panic.

Last edited by Blues beater; 03/24/13 12:13 AM. Reason: mistake

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission