2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 136 of 190 1 2 134 135 136 137 138 189 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bleh.
*discouraged*

Maybe I could be demoted to book 1. I can't play anything.

Learner

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hang on malkin, you know it gets better! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Malkin,

I've followed your progress for a few years and you seem to be doing fine. You have a great, self-deprecating sense of humor. Like many of us adult learners, you are very hard on yourself.

Just remember... grin

Originally Posted by malkin
One time, my teacher sort of blurted out, "You are so easy to teach!"

It was the best compliment ever. I still hope he thinks that, at least every now and then

I'm sure your teacher is right and you are a very good student.
Hope you get over the rough patch soon.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement sinophilia and JimF.

I'm in a bit of a generalized February Funk, I think. The weather is cold and gray, the air is polluted, so we've all got sore throats and burning eyes, and we haven't received the fixit part for our bicycles which are under recall (LONG story).

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Malkin I'm with you! The last two weeks have been horrible! You'd think I'd never touched a piano before. My teacher thinks I'm just tired from the weather and overworking lately.

I'm going to keep plodding along and hope it improves.

Today I officially started book 2! I am starting to learn La Bamba and For He's a Jolly Good Fellow. smile I still have Greensleeves and What a Wonderful World on the go, so I have my fingers full now. wink

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
G
G
Hi guys!

See there, sinophilia? I told you that you would pass me up! thumb Good job!

Congrats and welcome, Becca. I seem to remember crossing paths with you elsewhere on the forum. Maybe in the Book 1 thread.

Things come in spurts for me. I'm currently in a lull waiting on a big spurt LOL. I'm working on Loch Lommand, and it's coming along, but very slowly.

One would think that we would practice less in the summer (when it's warm outside, because we want to go play outside!) and more in the winter (when it's cold and dreary outside, and we are inside all the time anyway). But I agree - I'm kinda in a winter blah myself. There's also a lot of drama at my work, and it permeates everywhere. When I have free time, I just want to rest and relax and do nothing.

On the other hand, I've been working on Ivan Sings by Khachaturian. It's a lovely little piece, and it's very very close to being polished.

S
S
I'm in a bit of confusion with repeats in La Raspa.
I'm guessing you play to '1.(to next strain)' , skipping 2, the last two lines look more like normal repeats but then 'D. C. Al Fine' sends you back to play Fine?
Seems in an odd order, or I'm just having brain fade again?

Thanks.

A
A
It looks a bit confusing, but you play the first part with ending 1, then the second part with ending 1, repeat second part one octave higher with ending 2, then start all over, playing the first part accelerating slowly, with ending 2 which notes the end of the song. D. C. al Fine sends you back to the start until you hit Fine. The closing double dot thingie sends you back to the matching opening pair of dots. Good luck!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
S
S
Thanks a lot.

I just began posting in the forums after much lurking. I, too, am in book 2. I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I bought all 3 level books and at one point zipped through book 2 without really trying to learn the information in it. And I didn't try to perfect the techniques and lessons. I'm very impatient, but that's not good. So I recently took a few weeks off and then went back through my Alfred books from the beginning. I found this quite helpful and am enjoying the book this second time around, really trying to learn inversions, etc.

I'm so glad to find these forums ... So excited to learn and improve on the piano smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hello Heather! Congratulations on your acoustic!

I enjoyed most of Alfred's book 2, but I'm also a very impatient person. My approach to these books is basically to learn about a song a week, study all the technique and theory in it and then move on (somebody called this "the weekly throw-away song" method). Once in a while I select a favorite song to fully memorize and polish with the aim of getting a decent recording of it - but maybe just 6 or 7 in the entire book. I don't think it's necessary to perfect all songs, but make sure to practice all the basic techniques.

Hi Diana! It's great to be here smile

I'm a bit of a perfectionist ... OK a lot of a perfectionist! My impatience led to me not really practicing all the techniques, which is why I am going back through it. But you're right - thanks for reminding me that I don't have to do everything perfectly! smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
Hello everyone on book 2. I'm starting Amazing Grace in book 1 this week, so will be starting book 2 soon.

I have been debating whether or not to go onto book 2 for a few weeks. I was considering moving to another method such as First Impressions by M'lou Dietzer, the Keith Snell books, or even just doing ABRSM material by grade. My primary interest is pop, and styles such as rhythm and blues. I'd like to do the Pop Piano method by Mark Harrison, but need to get to the point where I can do that without struggling. And thus, I decided to stay in the Alfred's books since they seem to be more in line with my long term goal.

So I'll be following along in your thread, and would like to join in. smile I'm wondering if anyone else was considering switching methods between books, and if so are you satisfied with your choice to continue with Alfred?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Anyone else have difficulty learning Chopin Etude Op 10 No 3 from this book. I know this is not the full etude and perhaps the changed key is to make it easier, but it does not seem consistent with the relatively straight forward music of the book. To my mind it even makes Pachobel's Cannon in D which is supposed to be an advanced piece, seem easy. Anyway I am struggling so far but hope to master it. It may take a lot longer though than the other pieces

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
@earlofmar
Indeed, the Chopin Etude is probably the most difficult piece in the whole book, even in its simplified form! That's my opinion anyway. I had a very hard time learning it and could never bring it up to tempo.

@hamlet cat
I am also more into learning pop/blues/folk than classical music, and I find the Alfred's method just perfect because it's a blend of all this! But I also bought the Piano for All series, it's a completely different method which mainly teaches chords, rhythms, and accompaniment techniques. You might want to have a look at it.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with Sinophilia that Etude 10-3 is one of the hardest pieces in Book 2. For me, also a favorite--one of those that I continued to play (eventually from memory). It's worth the effort, imo.

The key (F major) isn't (imo) necessarily easier, it's just that the key of the original piece (E major) isn't introduced until half way through Book 3. Even with the simplified arrangement in Book 2, there's a lot going on in the music. Several voices, a couple of grace notes, some two-part writing, a range of dynamics, four "parts" to learn (starting with first full measure, m.1-5 and m.9-13; m.6-8; m.14-16; m.17-end).

Best wishes with the piece and the rest of the book!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I agree with Sinophilia that Etude 10-3 is one of the hardest pieces in Book 2. For me, also a favorite--one of those that I continued to play (eventually from memory). It's worth the effort, imo.

The key (F major) isn't (imo) necessarily easier, it's just that the key of the original piece (E major) isn't introduced until half way through Book 3. Even with the simplified arrangement in Book 2, there's a lot going on in the music. Several voices, a couple of grace notes, some two-part writing, a range of dynamics, four "parts" to learn (starting with first full measure, m.1-5 and m.9-13; m.6-8; m.14-16; m.17-end).

Best wishes with the piece and the rest of the book!

AND it is likely that it is one's first experience with all the stuff Stubbie mentions.

Learner
G
G
Hey, guys!

Welcome, Heather and hamlet and earl!

I suppose if the pieces were interesting to me, I'd practice on them more and roll through at a breakneck one-a-week speed like Diana wink ha , but most of them just aren't that interesting to me.

I started Danny Boy last week, though, so I'm getting there! This is the 2nd to last piece in the book!

I am also working on Chopin's Prelude in E minor Op 28 no 4. What a BEAUTIFUL piece. I've wanted to play this for a while, and finally asked my teacher if she thought I could tackle it, and she replied, "oh, yeah, this one will be easy for you." LOL. As I've mentioned before, she always overestimates my abilities, so I figure if she thinks it will be easy for me, then I should be able to get it sounding good in a couple of months with a lot of work. It's coming along pretty good so far.

I finally dropped Mozart's Sonata Facile. I worked on this one for a long time, 10 months or so. I think it really was over my head and beyond my abilities. I could muddle through the whole thing, and most of it was memorized...but I never did get it up to even a moderate tempo. Nonetheless, it was great practice for me to work on it, and I learned a LOT.

G
G
Originally Posted by heathermphotog
I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I'm so jealous!!!

We started on a rickety old acoustic that wouldn't hold a tune. It wasn't long before I bought a Casio digital...but it's just not the same. I've really got the itch to buy a new acoustic.

My teacher's studio is in the back of the local piano store...which means I have to walk by all the gorgeous new pianos every time I go to my lesson. Naturally, this makes my itch that much worse! I've been eyeing one....but I haven't played it because I'm afraid I'll fall madly in love and buy it on the spot! But I may not be able to resist much longer.

Originally Posted by gahdzila
Originally Posted by heathermphotog
I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I'm so jealous!!!

We started on a rickety old acoustic that wouldn't hold a tune. It wasn't long before I bought a Casio digital...but it's just not the same. I've really got the itch to buy a new acoustic.

My teacher's studio is in the back of the local piano store...which means I have to walk by all the gorgeous new pianos every time I go to my lesson. Naturally, this makes my itch that much worse! I've been eyeing one....but I haven't played it because I'm afraid I'll fall madly in love and buy it on the spot! But I may not be able to resist much longer.

I know! My husband and I have been looking casually for about a year, but then when my youngest fell in love with playing it gave us the perfect excuse to buy one. I grew up playing an old acoustic as well that was never in tune, but there was just something about it that I loved. I hope you are able to scratch that itch soon smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
Page 136 of 190 1 2 134 135 136 137 138 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission