2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
My entire family is pitching in to purchase a first-rate "professional size" grand piano (6-7.5 feet long) for my 13-year-old niece, who has been studying piano since she was 6 and shows great promise. We have considered a number of prominent brands - Estonia, August Forster, Grotrian, Bechstein Academy, Shigeru Kawai,and some used Steinways. All of these pianos sounded fine, but we have yet to audition a piano brand that is not nearly as well-known as the other brands - specifically, the Brodmann Professional and Artist series pianos in the 74", 84" and 89" sizes.

Like I said, Brodmann is not nearly as prestigious as the other brands we have looked at, but the prices are fantastic. I've perused the Brodmann website and listened to some salesman, and it sounds almost too good to be true - high-quality German componentry, build quality and sound at low Chinese prices.

We wish to hear from people who have played Brodmann pianos, and from technicians who have worked on them or evaluated them. We want to know whether these instruments really are the high-quality, low-price value that the salesmen are touting, or are they just typical "stencil brand" pianos backed by a lot of marketing hype?

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
See the UK Piano Forum and contact Chris Venables.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I've played two models of Brodmann grand at a piano dealer. I didn't spend a great deal of time with them.

To answer the subject: "are they a value?". Yes, in my opinion they are a value. My impression is that they are a good option to compare with other consumer grade pianos. I would comparison shop them with the Hailun pianos, the Yamaha G-series (and perhaps the Cs) and the Kawai RX pianos.

They are not the same level piano as an August Forster, Grotrian or Shigeru. Those are significantly more refined pianos. Touch, tone, and probably longevity are going to be better on these tier one pianos.

It may or may not be significant that they are sourcing parts stamped with "made in Germany". Shigeru Kawai apparently doesn't need to import parts from Germany to make stunning pianos. Perhaps the European parts do add to the quality (IMHO it would require a piano designer to fully answer that question), but I think it's worthwhile to realize it's also a marketing ploy.

So to summarize my opinion: They're a good value and it's a fine decision to buy one. But they're not worthy competition to a Grotrian, Shigeru or Forster.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva
We wish to hear from people who have played Brodmann pianos .... We want to know whether these instruments really are the high-quality, low-price value that the salesmen are touting, or are they just typical "stencil brand" pianos backed by a lot of marketing hype?

Yes, I've played extensively on, and own a 187 Brodmann. Very good quality in build, tone and touch. Not aware of any overly marketing hype or a stencil brand status in regards to Brodmann.
Have you played one ? How did it feel ?

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
The Brodmann is a good value in today's marketplace. If you enjoy it you can be assured that it will perform well and hold up well.

Frankly, if we did not take on the Matchless Cunningham project ( www.cunninghampiano.com/cunningham/ ), we might be Brodmann dealers. Both the Cunningham and the Brodmann are currently "Editor's Picks" in the Spring 2013 Piano Buyer.

It cannot be compared to the other brands you are considering. They are in different leagues.

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Make an appointment to visit PianoCraft in Gaithersburg, MD

Go see and play one of their Brodmanns - which will be expertly prepped.

My guess is that you will buy it.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have played, sold, and serviced Brodmann pianos for going on six years now.

I also service Brodmanns on an ongoing basis for my clients who have been using them for as many years.

There is nothing I have seen to suggest that the pianos will not continue to hold up well, and they are very musical and much appreciated by their owners.

Unlike most other pianos, the Brodmanns I have voiced (and most of them do need some voicing) have remained stable and most have not had to be addressed again. I attribute this to the high quality of the Abel hammers, and there are a nice range of tonal palettes possible.

Also, the amount of sustain in the high treble is rather remarkable as it is seldom found to that degree on most other pianos and sometimes even on pianos costing several times more.

The attributes described above as well as the playability of the action do cause many enthusiastic pianists to embrace what Brodmann has been doing in their combined approach to produce a very musically desirable yet affordable piano.

By all means consider it with confidence and let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Nick

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi Almaviva, anything to do with Le Nozze di Figaro? wink

I service a pair of Brodmann CE-175's every week at a dueling piano bar here in Sandy Eggo. i have a thread about it in the Tuner Technician's forum: The Shout!House

I agree with what everyone else here has said. I think, for the money, they're well worth it. The pianos at the club take an unholy beating every night, and I think they're holding up well.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
As dealers we have only experience with the PE and Artist series pianos, especially the 5'4, 6'2 and 7' grands

Among the many owners for these pianos we have a number of local teachers, some performing at concert level.
The pianos are also used in several church and school setting, all with great success.

Brodmann is not only a very decent, but actually outstanding piano which is regularly picked by those visiting us, often having a much more expensive piano in mind.

Perhaps that's why some dealers are reluctant to carry the brand.

Once in same showroom and side by side with certain others, they can easily "screw up" a possible deal on a much more expensive piano for which client came and actually had funds...

Norbert blush

Last edited by Norbert; 03/22/13 04:20 PM.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by OperaTenor
Hi Almaviva, anything to do with Le Nozze di Figaro? wink

Almaviva doesn't count here!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Rich, that's Leporello who can count.

Now, we have only 20 to go. Twenty one if the lost score for Die Entführung aus dem Broadman is ever located.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Rich, that's Leporello who can count.

Now, we have only 20 to go. Twenty one if the lost score for Die Entführung aus dem Broadman is ever located.

I would groan... but I started this, didn't I? thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
LOL.

Yes, Rich, you did start it! When I chose that handle, I was wondering how long it would be before somebody started cracking puns along these lines. I've enjoyed it! smile

"Le Nozze di Figaro" is my favorite opera, but somebody else had already chosen "Figaro" as their handle. So Count Almaviva was my second choice.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, OperaTenor, it does. "Figaro" is my favorite opera of all, but somebody else had already chosen "Figaro" for their handle. So the Count was my second choice. wink

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks, guys. This is the first time I have ever posted anything on this forum, and I'm really impressed by the speed with which I received replies, and how informative the replies were. I enjoyed the puns, too! thumb

I get the impression from your replies that, while the Brodmann is good value for the money, it is NOT "a Sauter for the price of a Samick". Oh well, that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess I'm still reeling from sticker shock over the prices of new performance-grade grands. We hope to audition the Brodmann for ourselves in the near future.

The Richmond area isn't exactly overflowing with high-end piano dealers - Bechstein, Petrof, Schimmel, Schulze Pohlmann, Steinway, and Charles Walter are the only first-tier brands represented here, and the local dealers have very limited selections in their inventories. We plan to go to New York within the next few weeks, where our budding virtuoso can audition all the first-rate brands either side-by-side in the same showroom, or at another dealer next door on "Piano Row". There is at least one dealer in New York that carries Brodmann pianos as well as established first-tier brands like Bechstein, Mason & Hamlin, Steinway, Yamaha CF, etc. We'll let you know how Brodmann stacks up against the high-end "usual suspects".

Thank you again.

S
S
I have owned a Brodmann BG 187 for four years. I cross shopped it with Yamaha C series and Kawai RX series (among others). I preferred the sound of the Brodmann and it was significantly less expensive.

It still sounds great and I have had absolutely no problems with it.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Thanks, guys. This is the first time I have ever posted anything on this forum, and I'm really impressed by the speed with which I received replies, and how informative the replies were. I enjoyed the puns, too! thumb

I get the impression from your replies that, while the Brodmann is good value for the money, it is NOT "a Sauter for the price of a Samick". Oh well, that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess I'm still reeling from sticker shock over the prices of new performance-grade grands. We hope to audition the Brodmann for ourselves in the near future.

The Richmond area isn't exactly overflowing with high-end piano dealers - Bechstein, Petrof, Schimmel, Schulze Pohlmann, Steinway, and Charles Walter are the only first-tier brands represented here, and the local dealers have very limited selections in their inventories. We plan to go to New York within the next few weeks, where our budding virtuoso can audition all the first-rate brands either side-by-side in the same showroom, or at another dealer next door on "Piano Row". There is at least one dealer in New York that carries Brodmann pianos as well as established first-tier brands like Bechstein, Mason & Hamlin, Steinway, Yamaha CF, etc. We'll let you know how Brodmann stacks up against the high-end "usual suspects".

Thank you again.

I for one am glad your first experience here went well. smile

FWIW, if you're going to NYC, Philadelphia's on the way, and if it was me, I wouldn't pass up a chance to visit Cunningham Piano. Also, as Rich mentioned earlier, the Cunningham is on par with the Brodmann, so it might be worth checking out.

Just a suggestion.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I'm a big fan of the Cunninghams. It's definitely worth a check out.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
My experience with Brodmann pianos has been thoroughly mixed.

Yes, they sound good and yes, they feel good. At first.

Sadly, my piano has developed some problems a few years (4 to 5 years) down the line - the strings are breaking under the capo like nobody's business, and the action is not resilient to heavy practice loads. The keyboard bushings wore out after a little over a year. The quality of the action parts is not high, the bushings are not great and some of the glues used in my particular piano are atrocious.

Look, it's a good enough piano if you're not going to put it through too much work. It is NOT the same quality as the Yamaha C series or Kawai RX - in my opinion and experience. If you plan to use it as a piano to get you through grade exams, pre music college, and perhaps even through the first few years of conservatoire, then yes, it's good.

I'm trying to remain as balanced as possible. I chose the Brodmann because of it's sound and touch, but it's longevity under heavy use is a problem. If you want something that is going to be used a lot for concert level preparation and practice, you should look at something in the higher price range.

In my experience the bomb-proof pianos are: Steinway, Yamaha, Bluthner, Kawai, Boston, Bechstein. Bosendorfer are also pretty robust. All of these instruments cost more than the Brodmann, and the Brodmann's strength is that it is a very good sounding piano built to a price. But, a price it is indeed built to.

In fairness to Brodmann, I have been assured that there have been improvements to the pianos in the last few years. However, it is still of the opinion that Yamaha and Kawai are a better option as a professional workhorse. There are reasons why a Yamaha CF series, Steinway and Bluthner build six feet pianos for £50 to 70 000, and a Brodmann 187 costs £12,000 and it's because you simply can't build a piano of exceptional quality for that price. I'm happy to say that what they've done for that price is surprising, but caveat emptor.

YAMAHA Artist
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks, operatenor, we just might do that. laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission