2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

They would be different in response, sound, coverage and volume range ...

First off, I am being the devils advocate, so my apologies to the Dr. because I actually do agree with his 'point of view' .....

The quote above is actually a definition of complimentary; two different things that fill in the gaps the other doesn't.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by emenelton
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

They would be different in response, sound, coverage and volume range ...

First off, I am being the devils advocate, so my apologies to the Dr. because I actually do agree with his 'point of view' .....

The quote above is actually a definition of complimentary; two different things that fill in the gaps the other doesn't.

Rubbish ..... cursing.... without the left handing knowing what the right hand is doing it would be totally screwed. Try it .... It will sound cursing

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
A
A
I would not want an unmatched pair, as you would lose the true stereo field created by the equal dispersion and matched amp power

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I wouldn't buy an unmatched pair for the same reason I do not buy an unmatched pair of tires for my car. It just never occurred to me.

Last edited by dmd; 03/20/13 10:57 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
mono speaker optimized for bass another mono speaker for your other sound

In rehearsal the other day I used a Hartke 10" kick back on the right and a Dean Markley combo on the left. A little eq and volume adjustment and the wurly/integra was real nice. It's not brain surgery.

I was just trying to expand on the complementary thing. Nobody ever says that the same thing is complementary. complementary things are always different from each other.

Last edited by emenelton; 03/21/13 07:48 AM. Reason: wrong word spelled
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

I was just trying to expand on the complimentary thing. Nobody ever says that the same thing is complimentary. Complimentary things are always different from each other.

Not always.
First, the way you've written it there: 'complimentary', means saying something nice to someone...paying them a compliment.

I think you meant 'complementary', which, according to the dictionary means:-

Originally Posted by World English Dictionary
complementary or complemental (ˌkɒmplɪˈmɛntərɪ, -trɪ) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— adj
1. acting as or forming a complement; completing
2. forming a satisfactory or balanced whole

....as Dr. Popper said in the first place.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
toddy

So a 12" 2-way on the left would complement a 10" 2-way on the right by adding bass the other didn't, thereby forming a more satisfactory and balanced sound.

Thanks!

I changed the spelling on the original post

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by willf
very shortly I shall be buying some powered speakers - I am still deciding which ones to buy. I will be mainly using them for piano, but also for organ (VB3).

Does it make any sense to use a 12" for the Left Output (Bass) and a 10" for the right output? Or is it better to use the same sized speaker?

For several reasons, you should buy a pair of identical speakers.
And don't go overboard with "stereo". A real piano is not 10 feet wide, and you get no particular sensation of bass notes coming from the left, treble ones from the right. Do you? Some electronic piano makers do not grasp this fact, and over-emphasise the seperation. Don't make it worse by positioning your speakers too far apart!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I agree with Exalted Wombat.

Sometimes these threads go down a road that's filled with intrigue and B.S. I was just trying to discuss things.

Last edited by emenelton; 03/21/13 08:10 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
and you get no particular sensation of bass notes coming from the left, treble ones from the right. Do you?

I would argue that you do as a player. When I play my acoustic it is very clear to me, lower notes to the left, higher notes to the right. For this reason I find a stereo monitor set up preferable on a gig.
Further away from the instrument the stereo effect is less. In fact it would be the opposite if you were situated very close to the other end facing the player. For me the issue of stereo is primarily for me, to enhance the playing experience.

Nord Piano 2, EV ZXA1 x2, Allen and Heath ZED 10FX, Roland VK7, Kawai KG-2C
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
toddy

So a 12" 2-way on the left would complement a 10" 2-way on the right by adding bass the other didn't, thereby forming a more satisfactory and balanced sound.

Thanks!

I changed the spelling on the original post

Your thinking in mono ...think in stereo, your 12" is going to totally screw your 10" s bass up

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by willf
very shortly I shall be buying some powered speakers - I am still deciding which ones to buy. I will be mainly using them for piano, but also for organ (VB3).

Does it make any sense to use a 12" for the Left Output (Bass) and a 10" for the right output? Or is it better to use the same sized speaker?

For several reasons, you should buy a pair of identical speakers.
And don't go overboard with "stereo". A real piano is not 10 feet wide, and you get no particular sensation of bass notes coming from the left, treble ones from the right. Do you? Some electronic piano makers do not grasp this fact, and over-emphasise the seperation. Don't make it worse by positioning your speakers too far apart!

In a stereo sample set the bass comes out of both sides. Most DP,s are now stereo. They sound crap in mono.

Originally Posted by Wess.Chr.K.
Yamaha AG N1 has 2 separated systems of speakers. First one is placed on top part (where keyboard is). 3 loudspeakers on top and 2 on rear side. They are symmetrical, indeed.

Bottom part of the piano has an other sound box with 2 loudspeakers.
The direction of the biggest one is to the floor. It is placed left from the pedals. The center is somewhere between C and E one octave below middle C.
The other one is faced to the player. Its position is right form the pedals and it is centered almost under C5 (~two octaves over middle C).

This is only the sound system of the AG N1.
Kawai xx95 has also asymmetrical set up.
most interesting.

I have found, that the 2 speakers systems (I have symmetricals too) are transferring the already narrowed sound perspective of the SW-Pianos faithfully end even overemphasize this.

I made just resently an interesting experience just by serendepity: as I let my computer Speaker system with a Sub (200€ ) on (I switch them normally off when playing), while using the 2 Genelec 8020s as the main sound source, I've got a much more realistic and nice sound than from the Genelecs alone. (No sorround output, to be sure). And the PC Boxes are to the right of my piano seat on a separate table.
This has certainly a potential for experimenting further .

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sure, you can get an asymmetric setup to work, but you can't just plug in two different sized boxes and expect it to work the way you want or expect it to. For that, you have to look at the actual signal processing. As Dr. Popper (I believe) said, the left has to know what the right is doing, or supposed to be doing. Otherwise, you get a proportional signal to both sides, and whichever side has the larger speaker is going to sound stronger in all areas, even if you back the volume down a bit.

Les C Deal

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission