2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Had reason to have a Tech come out and attempt a minor repair. The "G" above "Middle C" has a twang to it the other keys do not. If earphones, or recordings, it is clear as the others. When using the keyboard, it is there.

So, here is what is inside these beasties. My sincerest apologies to assumptions I made earlier about how these are made inside.

[Linked Image]

After the back board is removed.

[Linked Image]

After the top board is removed. Pretty uniform - for sure.

[Linked Image]

After the panel by your knees is removed.

[Linked Image]

The transducer is anchored to the back board. The other end of the transducer, is attached to the soundboard.

[Linked Image]

What I call the HandiPanel.

[Linked Image]

The board for the Sound Engine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Sound Engine Board with and without flash.

[Linked Image]

The panel by your knees.

[Linked Image]

The panel above your feet.

[Linked Image]

The top panel with the midrange speakers - four of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Amplifiers

One for the Tweeters, one for the MidRange and one for the Transducer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Power Supply stuff

[Linked Image]

An adapter panel. Located beneath the Sound Engine. The black cord veers right to the amps. It is quite long and is coiled up and tied to the bottom.

+++

Hope you folks enjoyed this.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Very nice Jon, thanks for sharing your pix!

Added to the Nekid Pichures thread.

Wow, that soundboard looks real! So many boards and wiring harnesses, I'm kind of surprised at how "bits and pieces" the CA95 construction is. Looks like lots of plastic in the key action? And the obligatory aluminized chipboard key base even in a home model.

Were you able to find what was causing the buzzing / rattle / whatever? Unwanted resonance can be a bear to track down.

C
C
Now I feel dirty. :X

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
<<Wow, that soundboard looks real! >>

It is ... The Transducer does wiggle this sucker, and it does make the lower sounds in the room more voluminous.

<<So many boards and wiring harnesses, I'm kind of surprised
at how "bits and pieces" the CA95 construction is.>>

Not really. It is no different than other digital contraptions. Each cable/assembly has a purpose.

<<Looks like lots of plastic in the key action?>>

Each individual key is solid wood and the Keybed Frame and individual Hammers are indeed a plastic. Kawai has used plastics and composites for many years now and these components are absolutely stable.

<<And the obligatory aluminized chipboard key base even in a home model.>>

The entire cabinet is made of a high density chipboard. Very hard, very heavy, I might add. This protects from warpage. The aluminum shields protect the circuits from stray RF things eminating from outside the box.

<<Were you able to find what was causing the buzzing / rattle / whatever? Unwanted resonance can be a bear to track down.>>

Sadly, no. The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And G is still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

Thanks!

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Here is the Kawai Grand Feel. Note the wood and the plastic.

[Linked Image]

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by McBuster
The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And F and F# are still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

I wonder if the midrange speakers have a natural resonance? Or does it seem to be coming from the soundboard? If you can't tell where it's coming from you might try unplugging one speaker at a time to see if it goes away.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it. This is not a serious problem - just an annoyance.

We decided on a couple of things. One, wait a few months and take the pulse then. Two, I will go to a local music store and try 1-2 other 95's to see what they sound like.

Thanks

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
C
C
I wonder if I will be able to spot these issues when I do get my CA-95 (seeing as I'm a total beginner). Is this something only a trained ear/finger can spot?

-- Zbynek N.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The CA 65 and 95 are wonderful pianos. Play them and do not get too nit picky of key spacing nor whatever until you are familiar with it. In my case, that specific note was a bit sour compared to the others. That was aggravating. Hence, a call was placed.

But, do not search for things that may or may not be there ... Enjoy it ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
P
P
Hi McBuster,

The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And F and F# are still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

Thanks

Is the above mentioned 'shifting of the keyboard' that you tried a mechanical or electronic change? In the latter case, I think the issue cannot be a mechanical one, right?

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
C
C

The CA 65 and 95 are wonderful pianos. Play them and do not get too nit picky of key spacing nor whatever until you are familiar with it. In my case, that specific note was a bit sour compared to the others. That was aggravating. Hence, a call was placed.

Not sure if you were referring to me, but anyway -- I'm not out to search for tiny details, I have heard enough here about how the keyboard of the piano is constructed. I'm just wondering if I will be able to find real but not so obvious problems.

-- Zbynek N.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Im surprised to see no toroidal transformers, more expensive than regular square transformers but they produce a cleaner signal with virtually no hum or feed-thru

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Paolo70
Hi McBuster,

[...]

The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

Thanks

Is the above mentioned 'shifting of the keyboard' that you tried a mechanical or electronic change? In the latter case, I think the issue cannot be a mechanical one, right?

Ciao,
Paolo

Electronic using the Virtual Technician. Mechanical would appear to be very difficult to do.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Clayman

Not sure if you were referring to me, but anyway -- I'm not out to search for tiny details, I have heard enough here about how the keyboard of the piano is constructed. I'm just wondering if I will be able to find real but not so obvious problems.

Real vs Not So Obvious

Hmmmm ... Imho, these are fantastic instruments and of the CA63 and CA93 and now the CA95 I have owned, this Twang in a couple of keys was all I have ever found. Is it "Serious"? Not at all. A "Show Stopper"? No. On a One to Ten - "Irritating"? I find it a Three.

My whole goal here was to find one speaker with the screws needing one more twist. And done. We will see what six months brings.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

[...]

Electronic using the Virtual Technician.

If the tonal characteristic of the note in question moves up/down when transposed, it's almost certainly a component of the original sample, and therefore not a mechanical issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

[...]

Electronic using the Virtual Technician.

If the tonal characteristic of the note in question moves up/down when transposed, it's almost certainly a component of the original sample, and therefore not a mechanical issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hmmmm ...

I thought the opposite. If one key plays the note that sets the mechanical side abuzz, moving that note to another key would do the same thing. Right?

Assuming the key mechanism is not at fault, but some other mechanical component that lights up at a certain frequency from sound produced by the speakers, which key was used would have no bearing.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Do you hear the 'twang' in headphones as well as speakers?

James
x

K
K
@KawaiJames
It could still be a mechanical issue in the sense that something mechanical is resonating -- excited by a very specific partial in one particular note. I'm always amazed how a particular note on my acoustic can excite buzzes outside the piano -- e.g., a window blind, a light fixture, or a part of the piano's cabinetry. We've all probably seen this, so I suppose this is an obvious point.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Yes, I know what you mean guys.

Hmmm...well, the headphone test is probably the best way to find out.

James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
As I stated at the top, using headphones, or a recording, the Twang dissappears.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission