2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 70 of 79 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 78 79
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So, this is the Yamaha G1 in the choir room at church. I had tuned it about a week or so, ago, but there were more than a few things with my work that I wasn't happy with, so I went back yesterday to give it another go. I am using a Sanderson Accutuner with Bill's custom EBVT III and stretch settings for another of the same model of piano. I am a monkey with a wrench and a slave to the spinning red lights. "Make them stop! Make them stop!!!" grin This is the Allemande from Handel's Keyboard Suite No. 15.

Both the tuning and the playing are works in progress. The piano needs regulating, so my touch was on the heavy-handed side of things for a piece that ought to be played lightly. I spliced together the better takes to provide relatively trouble-free, uninterrupted listening blush, but other than that, there is no processing added to the sound except gain. I put the digital recorder about four feet from the tail of the piano with the piano lid fully open. Also, the sustain pedal has developed a squeak. Considering all of that, I hope you can enjoy it! Comments are welcomed, as always.

Handel, Keyboard Suite No. 15, Allemande

--Andy

P.S. Jim, I just bought a micrometer. Standby...

P.P.S. All, I've been applying what I've learned about unisons, hammer manipulation and pin setting by reading the recent discussion in Max's thread. PW University strikes again! laugh

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 02/09/13 01:15 PM. Reason: added p.p.s.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
J
J
"Following the money"... very, very sad!

C
C
great sound!! you really got a handel on the piece. I love victorian well even on early Baroque pieces such as this. The calmness of the temperament gives the piece an ethereal quality.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck Belknap

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chuck belknap
[...] you really got a handel on the piece. [...]

Thanks for the comments, Chuck! Sorry it took so long to get bach to you.

Here is a Kimball 42" console--the piano of a friend who offered me a chance to satisfy my newfound tuning addiction. I had tuned it a few weeks ago, and since prior to that it had not been tuned since 1974 (the "free" tuning after arriving in its new home, according to a pencil note written on one of the keys) it needed a pitch raise. So, pitch raise it got, and a tuning, and I went back on Wed. to see how it was doing and give it another tuning. This console reminds me of the Lester in a way (false beats, weird phasings, wonky tenor...) Anyway, interested listeners, here is EBVT III on someone else's Kimball:

White Cliffs of Dover (Eb maj.)

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 02/22/13 12:21 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Monday night and Tuesday morning I practiced tuning the Mighty Lester. I'm using Bill's custom settings for the Lester that he put in the SAT, but this time I really hawked down on getting the bass to behave.

Recorded this last night when it was quiet, after the snowplows finished making noise:

Also, here's a bonus track, (recorded last night, as well)... Not quite ready for prime time, but I got it all in one take! grin

"Lo-nah (Fox-Trot): A Beautiful Indian Serenade" from The Gem Dance Folio for 1927.

These recordings are dressed up with effects, used judiciously (is my hope) for your listening pleasure (also my hope). smile Enjoy!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Very sweet sound, Cinnamonbear.
Just wondering about your Lester setup. . . .

It is a Betsy Ross spinet? (My dad used to sell those, along with Gulbransen and Baldwin).

Are the hammers original or have any components been replaced (besides, I assume, plastic elbows)?

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Andy,

The Mighty Lester keeps getting better and better! The tuning is spot on. I could really hear the color change with the key change in "Smoke."

BTW - The staccatos are no longer a ricochet off the sign back at the ranch. And, in the L.H. no less.

[Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for listening, guys! laugh

@Marty: I crafted those staccatos with you in mind! grin I'm working on another sweet little ditty, a well known seasonal song from 1921 called "April Showers," that has chorded staccato in the right hand (legato melody in the left). I cannot yet say that I don't still get a little free-handed at times, but at least I'm consciously trying to rein it in!

@Keith: It is a Betsy Ross spinet. It came with wooden elbows, not platic ones, for which I am grateful, since I did not know what I was doing when I bought the piano almost 20 years ago. All I knew was it had a touch that I could work with, and a pretty nice sound, and the price was right, and it looked so forlorn tucked back in the church boiler room.

It's actually a pretty solid little piano! But it had "issues." Ringing dampers and clicks and clacks and double strikes and... you get the picture. All any of the tuners who serviced it would do is slap a tuning on it, and say, "Good enough." Oh, sure, they'd try to seat a damper or two when I complained, but if it took more than a few minutes to wrestle with the thing, they'd say, "That's as good as I can get it" and pack up their tools, and leave some intervals that would irritate me until the piano would settle out of tune, again.

When I had my first mid-life crisis and got back to playing piano with re-newed passion, I was trying to decide if I wanted to fix up the Lester or save up for a new piano. I've talked elsewhere about the personal calculus that each owner must do when making such a decision, and I won't bore you with my own details (PM me if you want the whole story), but they are many and multidimensional and there is an undeniable spiritual aspect to all of it, as well. Suffice it to say, one tech gave me an estimate for regulation and voicing that pretty much told me he didn't want job. (Being a tradesman, I know that trick, and I've gladly accepted challenging work, at my normal rate, in the wake of such rejected bids. Pfft.)

Anyway, when Bill wasn't very far into tuning the Lester for the first time, I saw him doing something with the back of the keys that was going "clunk, clunk, clunk," and I said, "What are you doing?," and he said, "Just a little regulating." And I said, "Really? Well, what are you doing?," and he said, "Just seating these capstans. It doesn't take very long to do, and it can make a big difference." It did. Looking back on it all, that's pretty much when I committed to fixing up the Lester. It took me a little while longer than that to fully commit, but that was a significant epiphany moment.

Long story shorter, I asked Bill for an estimate to do a full regulation and that I wanted to help with the work (more personal calculus at the conclusion of my second mid-life crisis) and we replaced the damper felts and bent wires and spoons, and filed the hammers and leveled the keys, and retensioned springs and allkindastufflikethat. (Some of the details about that occur earlier in this thread, (for instance, posts on 12-12-10 and 3-22-11). BTW, I thought Bill's normal rate for this work was very fair, and in my opinion (that's the important part) I was more than happy with the results and considered that it has all been "worth it.").

Later, Bill showed me some needling tricks, and so I got after it, and over-needled D5, or so I thought, until the next time he came to tune and said, "It's the nicest sounding one of the bunch." At one point, Marty concurred with that assessment (the internet is an amazing thing!), so then I had to re-think what I was hearing from the hammers, and really went to town with the voicing idea. I know it ain't perfect, but it's better than it was, and I play the durned thing so much, the hammers are ready to be filed again, I think.

That's the long way of saying that the hammers are original, as is everything else on the piano except the damper felts and some judiciously placed duct tape and fine-threaded drywall screws. I think this piano is the place where calculus, metaphysics, and shop class meets.

grin--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 02/28/13 11:04 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I don't know who tuned this piano but I lifted it from the "Best UT for Jazz" thread. There were some very strong suggestions that only ET would be appropriate for Jazz.

Well, here you go, some Jazz in the EBVT III:

https://www.box.com/s/af88f16f9cea23c42e9c

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I had an opportunity to tune a 43" Yamaha console today in a church sanctuary. I used the Sanderson Accutuner with Bill's settings for a piano of the same brand and size. When I was through tuning, I played a couple of pieces--some Handel, some Bach, a couple Scriabin preludes--just to check the tuning. I made some tweeks to the bass and cleaned up a few unisons that I had missed, then got out Sondheim's "Send In The Clowns." It is in the key of Eb. I don't know exactly what is going on here (though I have some ideas...), but I was mystified and somewhat stunned by the sound that was coming from the piano, so I got out my Tascam digital recorder to capture it. I was not expecting this sound from Eb.

Send In The Clowns

It strikes me as being nervous, longing, and sad at the same time. I usually associate Eb with a kind of sonorous, grounded, happy peace (I'm probably wrong about that, as usual...) Anyway, sorry about the fingernail clicks, the page turn, and the trucks in the background.

Any comments about the tuning would be appreciated by this learner.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Andy, sorry for the o.t. - would you mind telling me which model of Tascam recorder you have?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I had an opportunity to tune a 43" Yamaha console today in a church sanctuary. I used the Sanderson Accutuner with Bill's settings for a piano of the same brand and size. When I was through tuning, I played a couple of pieces--some Handel, some Bach, a couple Scriabin preludes--just to check the tuning. I made some tweeks to the bass and cleaned up a few unisons that I had missed, then got out Sondheim's "Send In The Clowns." It is in the key of Eb. I don't know exactly what is going on here (though I have some ideas...), but I was mystified and somewhat stunned by the sound that was coming from the piano, so I got out my Tascam digital recorder to capture it. I was not expecting this sound from Eb.

Send In The Clowns

It strikes me as being nervous, longing, and sad at the same time. I usually associate Eb with a kind of sonorous, grounded, happy peace (I'm probably wrong about that, as usual...) Anyway, sorry about the fingernail clicks, the page turn, and the trucks in the background.

Any comments about the tuning would be appreciated by this learner.

--Andy

Is this in EBVT? I hear too rapid beating in the Eb major harmonies. When, and after, tuning with the ETD did you run though any 10th progressions, and check double octaves for cleanliness? If a lower Eb to an upper G is too wide an interval you will get this kind of sound. The other chords sounded a bit better.
Making tweaks based on playing pieces is not a good idea.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Andy, sorry for the o.t. - would you mind telling me which model of Tascam recorder you have?

Hi, Mark! It's a DP-004 Pocket Studio.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
[...] Is this in EBVT? I hear too rapid beating in the Eb major harmonies. When, and after, tuning with the ETD did you run though any 10th progressions, and check double octaves for cleanliness? If a lower Eb to an upper G is too wide an interval you will get this kind of sound. The other chords sounded a bit better.
Making tweaks based on playing pieces is not a good idea.

Good question, Chris! All I know is that I liked the way it sounded, and didn't want to change it! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
One of the problems with tuning electronically is the possibility of tuning one note imperceptibly sharp and another imperceptibly flat. This is how disasters. Like this come about. Whenever I tune the bass, I always check 5ths and 10ths, whatever temperament I am using. These checks can be used by an inexperienced tuner because they are easily heard when they are intolerable. if you had played a run of 10ths and 17ths, I think you would have spotted the comical effect of your Eb major chord.
I think you could very judiciously narrow the bass octaves enough to reduce this rapid beating to within tolerable levels without compromising other intervals much. You would have to start right at the temperament area to gain enough narrowing by the time you get to the low Eb. I know I always have when I tune unequal. It is more difficult with a smaller piano, they are less forgiving in this respect than a larger, higher quality instrument.
I suspect that the tuners in the days of unequal temperaments would have tended towards this narrowing anyway. I have the early music rooms right next to my office and, while I am not responsible for the harpsichords, I hear a lot of unequal temperaments. Early music always sounds a bit like Christmas.

It seems to me there is an awful lot of talk about stretch in these forums and of UT's. Enthusiasts start to want it both ways, excessive stretch coupled with unequal temperaments doesn't work. The one defeats the purpose of the other.

The cancelling effect of equal beating is fine if you can find that spot but remember it has no effect on the two part stuff and in multiple voice playing, pianists tend to emphasise some notes which, unless they are aware of what they are playing on and know how to use it, the cancelling effect can out-cancel itself.

Last edited by rxd; 03/19/13 09:30 AM.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you, rxd! I appreciate the critique and the second witness. I'll take what you and Chris have said and work with it! Like our PW friend "Little Blue Engine" says, "I'll figure it out, eventually. Until then, you might want to keep a safe distance."

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Andy, I just read that you are happy with it and that's OK as long as the church is happy too.

Of course, if you ever tune for Charles Asnavour.....

Last edited by rxd; 03/19/13 11:24 AM.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
Andy, I just read that you are happy with it and that's OK as long as the church is happy too.

Of course, if you ever tune for Charles Asnavour.....

After your comments, I went back to the church this morning to go at it, again. I arrived to find a choir class just beginning--a group of 11 or 12 year olds who were getting schooled in the meaning of fermata and ritardando and D.S. al Coda. So, being a lifelong learner, I sat down to listen. When the teacher dug into the piano, I could see the look on his face, and he was clearly happy. To my ears, the piano seemed to have a lot of life in it. It sounded energetic. And the teacher was playing with vigor and excitement. Now, I will grant you, the piano had not been tuned in a number of years, so it might have simply been the "better than it was" factor, but he was smiling while he played, so, I was happy about that.

Anyway, after the class was finished, I went to work applying your suggestions. I left the ETD in the bag, and narrowed the bass and tested by 10ths. I left everything in the treble alone. Here is what I came up with. You will hear window cleaning squeaks in the background, and some conversation and bumps and such, as the second wave cleaning crew were keeping me company. (Much quieter than yesterday's first wave of vacuuming and mopping. eek ) I edited out the most egregious playing errors, so if anyone goes to the trouble of using forensic software to find out who is meeting Julio down by the schoolyard, the conversation probably won't make any sense.

Send In The Clowns, 2nd tuning attempt

Then, I played a little Handel ditty in the key of Bb (testing, Chris. Sorry! blush At this stage, I'm using whatever straws I can grab on to! I'll get there, though... grin). D3 was poking its thumb in my eye, so I got the ETD out of the bag, and redid all of the bass bi-chords by it, and did the single wound strings by ear. I noticed C5 was flat, and brought it into line, but that is the only thing I changed in the treble. So, here's that one, and this is the way I left it:

Send In The Clowns, 3rd tuning attempt

I'm interested to hear your reaction to these revisions. Thanks for listening, and thanks for your helps, peoples! smile

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 03/19/13 04:34 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I don't hear the same degree of beating in the last attempt.

The state of tuning before you tuned is important if there is only one tuning pass. If the piano was more than about 5 to 6 cents off pitch to begin, then after using an ETD there will end up being different sections of the piano reverting back towards the original pitch by different amounts. This matters less with aural tuning because tuning is more relative to itself, but is more noticeable when tuning with an ETD because every note is tuned to an external absolute reference. The piano has to be quite on pitch on average before doing a final fine pass.

When posting tuning for critique, is it possible to send something like Weiyan does, i.e. some basic progressions and octaves, and then followed by a piece? In that way it is easier to determine more definitively what may be wrong.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
O
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
O
It is not possible to state about justness when the pedal is used so much, and without intervals, but your unison seem to be about quite right in the last tuning (better than the precedent anyway, justness apart)

Professional of the profession.
Foo Foo specialist
I wish to add some kind and sensitive phrase but nothing comes to mind.!
Page 70 of 79 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 78 79

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission