2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi I am looking to purchase an upright piano for my small apartment. I've looked in Manhattan and recently went to Frank and Camille's out in Long Island. Frank and Camille's seems to have the better prices, and all things considered, I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1- Kawaii K15 for 4000
2- Hardman & Peck R110 for 3000 (discount for floor model)

I have played the piano my whole life and really just want to have a piano to play in the apt., nothing too loud - I prefer if others cannot hear. I grew up with a Yamaha and know the Kawai well, but really have never come across a Hardman (nor can I find many reviews on the internet!) I like the action on both and everything seems comparable. The action on the Hardman is slightly uneven, but we were told the technicians would inspect and calibrate before delivery. Both brand new, come with free delivery and tuning, lifetime trade in and 10-yr warranty. This is our first piano, please help.

help

Thanks !

W
W
I live in the UK, however I'm a proud owner of a K-15 E (supposedly the same model as the K-15). I would highly recommend the K-15.

Obviously, Kawai are a reputable dealer that have been in this business for many decades now. One of the great things about the K-15 is the solid spruce soundboard that not all pianos of similar spec seem to have. Due to the soundboard, the tonal character of the piano is great, I think. Especially for a small piano.

In my honest opinion, it'd be the Kawai any day. I do not regret one minute buying mine. Great bass too for a small piano!

Happy choosing, and if you have any more queries, I'll be glad to help.

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Personally, I would take the Kawai.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the advice. We are likely going to go with the Kawaii. Are any of you familiar with Hardman & Peck at all? Just out of curiosity since there isn't a lot of information or reviews on the internet...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If possible, you should bump the budget a bit and go for a K-2. It's a definite improvement in touch and tone over a K-15.

Gary
W
W
The K2 is a great instrument. For the not too large price difference, it's definitely worth it. There's a noticeable difference in the touch and tone compared to the K-15.

It generally feels just a bit better built too. That's not to say the K-15 isn't well built - it's extremely well built for what it is!

However, if you can stretch your budget, the K2 would be an excellent choice.

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My first piano was a Hardman, Peck, & Co., which I bought brand new. It would not hold a tune or regulation, nor would the hammers stay voiced. I ended up trading it back in for a grey market Yamaha which was light years better. Lost a LOT of money on that deal. It ended up being returned to the distributer because nobody could get it straightened out. Right or wrong, because of that I will never own another Chinese piano. Bought it in 2006.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I tried several Hardman when shopping around and none of them felt even remotely good to me so yeah that wouldnt be my choice.

Then again, to be fair, the place I tested them at..well...it leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by shaolin95; 03/21/13 10:27 AM.
Happy with my kawai... :-)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission