2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I've never had a teacher play a recording for me.
Teacher playing in a lesson is virtually the same as recording playing. And plenty of teaches play recordings for pupils or suggest they listen to recordings. I assume your teacher has played for you.
Yes my teacher had played for me, but it was always a couple of measures to explain specifically what he meant. The posting of an entire performance has no relationship to this, IMO.
So a couple of measures can be useful but not an whole piece? Only two measures is OK and helpful but three isn't? Or does it become not useful only after ten measures? If Louis had suggested listening to the first ten seconds of the video as an illustration of what he meant it would be useful?

Now I think you are willfully missing the point. There is no relationship between the INTERACTION of a teacher with their student and the posting of a professional performance. That doesn't mean there is nothing to be learned from a recording.
The posting of the professional performance wasn't done in a vacuum. It was preceded by comments from the poster. These are equivalent to comments or interaction from a teacher. In addition, your reply does not seem to address my point that you seemed to think the number of measures was the important consideration.

Quoting teenagers doesn't add gravity to your opinion.
Grosvenor is no longer a teenager and considered by many to be one of the greatest pianists of his generation. Your comment makes it sound like he's some random teenager who knows little about music. Surely you must have read about many great pianists saying how important it is to listen to and learn from to recordings.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/13/13 04:17 AM.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus -- to Damon
Grosvenor is no longer a teenager and considered by many to be one of the greatest pianists of his generation. Your comment makes it sound like he's some random teenager....
Originally Posted by pianoloverus -- to me
....Your comment about Grosvenor ....

Humor!! Humor!!
Ever heard of humor? grin

About the rest, I think this will do: [Linked Image]

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
The posting of the professional performance wasn't done in a vacuum. It was preceded by comments from the poster. These are equivalent to comments or interaction from a teacher. In addition, your reply does not seem to address my point that you seemed to think the number of measures was the important consideration.

To post a recording in support of general comments is tantamount to saying "you should play it like this guy". It's rude. Teachers show you how to do something or explain why you should do something. This is nothing like that. The number of measures is beside the point.

Quoting teenagers doesn't add gravity to your opinion.
Grosvenor is no longer a teenager and considered by many to be one of the greatest pianists of his generation. Your comment makes it sound like he's some random teenager who knows little about music. Surely you must have read about many great pianists saying how important it is to listen to and learn from to recordings.

Sorry, I missed his last birthday. Perhaps you can quote the great pianists who have said this. Not that it matters because it still doesn't apply to this situation.

To post a recording in support of general comments is tantamount to saying "you should play it like this guy". It's rude. Teachers show you how to do something or explain why you should do something. This is nothing like that. The number of measures is beside the point.
But your previous post seems to indicate you thought the number of measures was important.

If you read Louis' first post or two he clearly explains why he thinks certain changes are needed... just like you say teachers should do. He doesn't just say play it like this guy without giving reasons for his thinking. Teachers often demonstrate what they are saying which is in effect saying they think "it should be done like this". Posting a recording is IMO no different.

Sorry, I missed his last birthday. Perhaps you can quote the great pianists who have said this. Not that it matters because it still doesn't apply to this situation.
It's not a fact that it doesn't apply although you state this as if it were...it's only your opinion. I certainly think it applies which is why I mentioned it.

Numerous pianists have talked about the importance of listening to other recordings. The only specific one I remember is Irina Morozova, but I do know as a fact I've heard it said countless times. In fact, I think it's basically a given for a serious musician. In books where pianists are interviewed it's extremely common for them to mention specific pianists they've listened to and learned from.

Do you actually think Grosvenor is wrong when he says it's important/useful to listen to recordings of other pianists...that one of the best young pianists on the planet has misconceptions about what's important and useful?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/13/13 08:18 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
But your previous post seems to indicate you thought the number of measures was important.

It seemed that way to you.

If you read Louis' first post or two he clearly explains why he thinks certain changes are needed... just like you say teachers should do. He doesn't just say play it like this guy without giving reasons for his thinking. Teachers often demonstrate what they are saying which is in effect saying they think "it should be done like this". Posting a recording is IMO no different.

Yes I agree it was pretty arrogant (and rude) for Louis to presume to school Phil in this fashion. I'm glad you agree that Louis explained clearly what he thought was lacking before posting the recording.

It's not a fact that it doesn't apply although you state this as if it were...it's only your opinion. I certainly think it applies which is why I mentioned it.

Numerous pianists have talked about the importance of listening to other recordings. The only specific one I remember is Irina Morozova, but I do know as a fact I've heard it said countless times. In fact, I think it's basically a given for a serious musician. In books where pianists are interviewed it's extremely common for them to mention specific pianists they've listened to and learned from.

Do you actually think Grosvenor is wrong when he says it's important/useful to listen to recordings of other pianists...that one of the best young pianists on the planet has misconceptions about what's important and useful?

I agree that it is useful especially if you are a lazy reader, important, not so much. Particularly since you can't listen to a professional recording that isn't "fixed" in a number of ways (except maybe Cortot). If Grosvenor credits his CD MP3 collection for his abilities, in any manner, then yes, one of the best young pianists on the planet has misconceptions about what is important.
I'm sure you can find a large number of jazz pianists that do this since their language is built upon stealing each others riffs. Are you sure Morozova isn't just the only classical example you can remember?

Go ahead and have the last word. We will continue to have opposing views on this subject. smile

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by carey

Gave this my best shot.

I think you did a fine job!

It seemed that way to you.
You said "Yes my teacher had played for me, but it was always a couple of measures to explain specifically what he meant. The posting of an entire performance has no relationship to this, IMO."

Yes I agree it was pretty arrogant (and rude) for Louis to presume to school Phil in this fashion. I'm glad you agree that Louis explained clearly what he thought was lacking before posting the recording.
I didn't say it was arrogant or rude or that Louis was "schooling" Phil. Louis made suggestions, explained his reasons for the suggestions, and then posted a recording that he felt illustrated what he was saying.

I agree that it is useful especially if you are a lazy reader, important, not so much. Particularly since you can't listen to a professional recording that isn't "fixed" in a number of ways (except maybe Cortot). If Grosvenor credits his CD MP3 collection for his abilities, in any manner, then yes, one of the best young pianists on the planet has misconceptions about what is important.
I'm sure you can find a large number of jazz pianists that do this since their language is built upon stealing each others riffs. Are you sure Morozova isn't just the only classical example you can remember?
When world class pianists advocate listening to recordings it has nothing to do with be a lazy reader. The reason is simple...they think there is something to learn from other great pianists. Of course, Grosvenor doesn't credit his abilities solely to his listening to recordings. That's simply one of the many things he has done to learn about music.

I clearly stated in my last post that Morozova was the only specific example(besides Grosvenor)I could remember who talked about the importance of listening to recordings, and I also clearly stated that I had read countless comments in books about other pianists that expressed the same opinion. This kind of comment from pianists is ubiquitous.

Neither jazz pianists nor classical pianists invent the wheel in terms of playing. They both take ideas from teachers, other musicians, recordings, and concerts and use them in whatever way they think appropriate.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/14/13 11:41 AM.
Carey Offline OP

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
This thread certainly took on a life of its own....... wow

Louis and I have continued to communicate through PMs. He's introduced me to some wonderful recordings by pianist Mieczyslaw Horszowski.

The recording that Louis posted in this thread by French pianist Thierry de Brunhoff was made in 1973 - a year before de Brunhoff entered the Benedictine Monastery where he has lived as a member for 40 years. Through a little research, I was delighted to learn that Thierry's father Jean, an artist, and mother Cecile, a pianist, were the co-creators of the Babar the Elephant series of children's books in the early 1930s - which I fondly recall enjoying 60 years ago as a young child. Until this week I had no idea about the origin of those popular books.

I do want to thank folks here for their supportive comments - and suggestions. When the dust settles a bit, I'm going to re-record the Nocturne to see if, indeed, I can improve on this initial effort.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission