2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by shaolin95
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
Before buying my mediocre/lacking baby grand I tested several pianos, bigger size, to see what I was losing. Based on reviews and comments about newer models, I ended up with a Young Chang y150 which sounded to my ears very nice and feels great too. Yes its entry level but more experienced reviewers tend to agree and for my room size, it was a perfect match so looks like small grands are getting much better these days....

There are exceptions to every rule smile I was just saying that in general, the shorter the piano, the harder it is to get a nice tone. I'm sure they have improved a lot over the years, but acoustics is governed by physical laws.

What really matters is that you found a piano that makes you happy and meets your needs. thumb

Indeed, and of course your wallet also dictate your choices sadly. lol

Yep, I hear ya. That's another important factor. I'm all for any company that can make a good-sounding piano at a reasonable price. Some of the "best" pianos out there will never be available to the average person because they're prices are so outrageous.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Before buying my mediocre/lacking baby grand I tested several pianos, bigger size, to see what I was losing. Based on reviews and comments about newer models, I ended up with a Young Chang y150 which sounded to my ears very nice and feels great too. Yes its entry level but more experienced reviewers tend to agree and for my room size, it was a perfect match so looks like small grands are getting much better these days....

There are exceptions to every rule smile I was just saying that in general, the shorter the piano, the harder it is to get a nice tone. I'm sure they have improved a lot over the years, but acoustics is governed by physical laws.

What really matters is that you found a piano that makes you happy and meets your needs. thumb

Indeed, and of course your wallet also dictate your choices sadly. lol

Yep, I hear ya. That's another important factor. I'm all for any company that can make a good-sounding piano at a reasonable price. Some of the "best" pianos out there will never be available to the average person because they're prices are so outrageous.

Like I went shopping for a violin with a set budget..so I asked for their best instrument then within my budget looked for the one that got me the closest performance...would I like to get that big expensive one...sure but yeah, we all cant afford those sublime instruments. Luckily there are very nice options there for us laugh

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Marjorie2
...I will be continuing my search over the next few weeks and will post back if I make any progress. If anyone else would like to add an opinion, I'm grateful.

Marjorie

Originally Posted by musicpassion
... it might be worth considering an excellent condition used piano.

I know you are wanting to buy new, but if budget is an issue, I think a gently used (and excellent condition) piano is the best value. Keep in mind pianos have a long service life - they're not a cell phone smile...

+1
Just check online. There are some awfully good deals out there.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
Yes its entry level but more experienced reviewers tend to agree and for my room size

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1. A "piano expert" told me that unless my new grand is at least 6', it won't sound any better than my U1. Thoughts?
Last year, I bought a Yamaha C2, and before buying it, I compared a few pianos of the same brand, but with different sizes. My personal observation concerning Yamaha C2 and C3XA, and Bechstein A.175 and A.190: The bigger pianos don't have a more beautiful sound, but they have a more powerful sound (louder). So one thing to consider is also: Do you have neighbors, and do they like music?
If by "better", you mean "louder", then bigger is better.

4. My last question is about Kawai specifically. It seems like the GE30 and the RX2 are the sweet spots or value points in the line-up. That said, Piano Buyer draws a hard line between the GE30 and RX1 which seems to go against the sentiment on this board that the GE30 is similar to the RX1 for a lot less money. I can read the differences in specs, but I'm looking for experienced musicians who can compare the sound.
I compared both of them, and I liked the GE30 better. But that's because I like clear metallic sounds over mellow sounds. The RX-2 sounded a bit mellow to me.
I have not tried an RX-1.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't forget, one big perk of having a longer piano is the bass. The treble will be relatively similar on most pianos, but with the longer ones, the bass is outstanding. It's like having a subwoofer in your piano smile That could be part of the reason they sound more powerful.

I don't have measurements, but from what I've read, larger pianos aren't necessarily that much louder than smaller ones. High sound levels can easily be achieved on a small grand, or even an upright.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Honestly, unless I score a great deal, the RX-2 and C2 are out of reach as well.

If you are in Southern California, there are two Kawai dealers liquidating stock right now. I've seen some pretty good prices, particularly on a couple of wood finish RX-2s.

Gary
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the continued advice. I'm still working on this project. Leaning toward the used Boston I mentioned previously or a Kawai GE30 or RX-1. Defininitely want black. I still feel that I need to play these pianos again to make up my mind. Marjorie.

Originally Posted by Plowboy

If you are in Southern California, there are two Kawai dealers liquidating stock right now. I've seen some pretty good prices, particularly on a couple of wood finish RX-2s.

Where in Southern California? I'm in downtown San Diego.

Last edited by pianoSD; 03/18/13 05:45 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Field's in Orange County and SoCal Pianos in San Marcos are both getting rid of stock in order to become Steinway Galleries.

Gary
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Here's my Kawai RX-1 & I have enjoyed it's sound. Good lighting helps. The bass is rich & beautiful.
I did play the RX-2 and I love it too!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Diane...; 03/18/13 07:21 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Beautiful piano! Great photo too, the orange lighting and Roses on top paint a rather romantic image.

Liam
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That's nice, Diane. I like my small grand. It's more fun to play than a vertical for some reason.

The polished walnut RX-1 I was looking at was 16k. That's very tempting. While at SoCal Pianos I played my repertoire, such as it is, on a satin RX-5. What a piano.

Gary
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Plowboy
That's nice, Diane. I like my small grand. It's more fun to play than a vertical for some reason.

The polished walnut RX-1 I was looking at was 16k. That's very tempting. While at SoCal Pianos I played my repertoire, such as it is, on a satin RX-5. What a piano.

Thank you! This is a 5'6" and is a baby grand. Everyone who sees it comments that it's a grand piano, which it isn't but I think a grand piano in black would sell. But from what I've come to discover, is once a grand piano is bought, it usually will stay in family. Grand pianos are nice to play and easy on the eyes.

An upright piano just looks at a wall, but a grand piano (baby grand piano) is like "driving a convertible indoors"! grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission