2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2049145 03/16/13 01:01 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

I'm looking for a 64-key upright acoustic piano such as the one here

Where can I find this and what is a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Last edited by johnbarnesiii; 03/16/13 01:01 PM.
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Do a Google search on "Melodigrand".

Keep in mind that these pianos were of very low quality.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

S
SBP Offline
S
Honestly, I'm not too sure why you'd want such a thing. If you really just need a 64 note piano, get a small digital or keyboard. They sound much better and will serve you much better than some novelty spinet from the '60s.

2012 Kawai K3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't see a need to project our own values, preferences or wants/needs onto someone else. There could be many reasons to want such an instrument.

Small pianos have a certain charm of their own, despite the drawbacks they may have. Would I recommend one as the primary instrument for an aspiring musician? No, I would not. But among my pianos I also own a five octave piano from the 1890s, it is identical to one in the PTG piano museum in Kansas City. It is cute as a button and every once in a while it gets played and enjoyed tremendously.

So I say: pursue what your heart desires, and just be realistic about the limitations.

JG

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Weren't there some of these small uprights built by decent manufacturers? A while back, I seem to remember one in Rich G.'s rebuilding shop. One might find a higher quality than Rythmodik or Melodiagrand.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
SBP Offline
S
Well, the vast majority of mini-pianos were generally built by lesser-quality manufacturers and often poorly-designed.

On topic, I did see a local ad for a Hardmann mini-piano a few days ago. Dunno if it's still up, but you can check the DC craigslist if you're curious. It was around $500, and looked to be in good condition.

2012 Kawai K3
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the replies and opinions!

I'm open to your guidance. I definitely want an acoustic piano, there's something about the feel and sound of the acoustic that I haven't quite been able to get in the digital world, but I don't know it all and would love to hear what you guys think.

I had a full-sized spinet that I loved but sold when I moved. But I'm moving again and desire an acoustic again. My thought was that the 64-key piano would take up less space in the apt and the one I played sounded more like a console piano not just a spinet. But the one I saw in LA was going for $800 in my opinion way too much.

I guess I'm not against having an 88-key spinet again but not an expert here as far as brands and values.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
If you are looking for a spinet, and not a console, the Acrosnics, by Baldwin, are the best of the bunch.

With any used piano, it is best to have it checked out by a qualified piano technician.

Give some thought to a console, however. With the longer string length, they will generally provide better sound. The action is also much easier to service.

Marty in Minnesota

J
OP Offline
J
Hey Marty, one of the things I liked about the 64-key piano is that I believe it was console and not spinet. Seemed to have a deeper sound than a spinet.

Is the 64-key melodigrand the same dimensions as THIS ONE.

$800 seems like a lot for the 64-key, but maybe I'm wrong? At any rate I'm open to console pianos too, are they louder? I' hoping the neighbors will be cool with an acoustic piano in my apt.

Last edited by johnbarnesiii; 03/16/13 10:25 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
John,

The difference between a spinet and a console is the action configuration. The spinet has, what is called, a drop action. The mechanism is below the keyboard level. That is the reason the hight of the instrument can be lower. The Acros have a surprisingly good sound, unlike many others. But, the actions on all spinets are difficult to service.

I have never run across a 'tom thumb' which was not a spinet. They may be around, but they certainly are not common.

Price aside, I wouldn't recommend the pianos that you have found. Rythmodik or Melodiagrand are novelty instruments and would limit your playing enjoyment.

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B
Tom Thumb pianos are not spinets or consoles. They are full uprights with a narrow compass.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I disagree.

Tom thumb is a very generic term applied to any upright with less than 85 keys. I'm referring to only modern instruments. It is about as specific as 'baby' grand.

Marty in Minnesota

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Marty, looks like the Acrosonic is the way to go then. I saw a tom thumb looking almost identical to the one in the pic and the guy at the warehouse told me it was closer to console than spinet, not sure why he said that but i must say it sounded way bigger and deeper than it looked.

Anyway I appreciate your recommendation. Also for $800 that he wanted for the 64, I feel like I could get an awesome spinet for way less. What is a reasonable price for the Acrosonics?

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
John,

The price will totally depend on the condition. Speaking of an Acro, in decent and very playable condition, will run around $500 to $800 from a private seller. The same instrument can be found at a dealer for $1,000 and up.

$800 for that little guy is way overpriced.

BTW - There are also Acro consoles and would be in the same price range as the spinets.

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B
Tom Thumb was a specific style of piano. You can see an example of what they looked like here.

People who use the term for other short-keyboard pianos do not know what they are talking about.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Obviously, BDB, my use of a generic and common term was not to denote a brand. Are you one of the pedantic people who think there is an absolute definiton for a baby grand? It is nothing more than a generic indication of a short grand. At best, a term used by interior decorators. However, they often think an S&S-B is a baby.

You might re-think your assessment of me as not knowing what I'm talking about. I don't live in a "Semipro" world without contact with the reality of the piano world. I play the piano, I don't tinker with it. And yes, I'm a pro and not a semi.

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B
I am willing to rethink an assessment if there is anything to rethink. There is no reason to change my mind about a style of piano that I have seen and tuned several times at the behest of someone who has never seen one.

Tom Thumb pianos are interesting. They were put out by several makers, but other than case enhancements, they were identical, and they usually said Tom Thumb on the name board. They may have been made by one company and licensed to others.

The last one I tuned used to be pulled around in a wagon from table to table at a night club I tune at, sort of like a strolling violinist.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2049432 03/17/13 12:12 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
There is no reason to change my mind about a style of piano that I have seen and tuned several times at the behest of someone who has never seen one.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was saying. I was not referring to a given brand. No, I have never seen a Tom Thumb pulled on a cart in a restaurant. But, I have played many tom thumb pianos. Please note the lack of capitalization.

Marty in Minnesota

J
OP Offline
J
So are the real "Tom Thumbs" (as different than other 64-key spinets) worth their salt then? If so where can I find one and what is a decent price?

B
BDB Offline
B
You might not want one. They were really made for children. The keyboard is rather low, so it can be awkward for adults.

They are all about 80 years old or older, so there will be condition issues. They do not come up often enough for prices to be established for them. You would have to look around for one.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission